how would you do the following spells?

1)how do you magically create a book?

i mean sth like a spell that instantaneously makes your thoughts into words,writing a book in an instant. presumably with another spell maybe giving you a temporary absolutely
perfect memory so that you can then materialise it.

as well as copying a book to make many copies at the cost of vis. maybe it would be a creo terram with an intellego requisite?

1. creating artificial life. ok souls may be out of the question but a mind is not a soul. maybe creo corpus with a mentem requisite?

2. affecting luck. or does it fall under the limit of time? i think the learned magicians can do this and is is not presented as an integration project so i assume it isn'tneeded.
    i could be wrong but i think solomonic astronomy did sth similar also not presented as integration..

1. can you use intellego magic to understand an objects resonance.? such as if a dagger was made for or used for murder etc. or does this concept not exist in ars magica??

2. can you increase a characteristic by morethan +1? same level of spel propably but lower maximum bonus possible.

6.can muto give you a bonus greater than 6+? after al by definition muto is about unnatura changes. unlike rego.

7.does mythic alchemy break the law of essential nature ? i interpreted it as" it's magical but our worlds physics and ars magica's physics are different."

8 i assume that normal alchemy(experimental philosophy alchemy) can be done my hermetics. the art and academy book seems to say so but cradle and cresent gives a breakthrough that alows hermetics do do with alchemy what experimental philosophy can. so im really confused :frowning:

1. can you do sth like affect an item or person with a passive effect? for instance making everyone feel lust or hatred towards that person. or make an object inspire greed(think sauron's ring)

10.by the way what kind of breakthrough would you assign to these feats? teaching many students in the arts( id say it's major) , making formulaic spells over lvl 50(hermetic i think)

1. You don't. Or if you could, it's not going to be an easy or simple process to get the Arts up to the point that one could do it.
  2. Yeah, that's discussed a bit in Hermetic Projects.
  3. What do you mean by luck? People make their own luck, magi included.
  4. Not sure, my initial reaction is no. But I think it would be interesting that each death leaves an indelible mark on the weapon used in that death.
  5. No, the guidelines are pretty firm. There's discussion that one can interpolate guidelines to do what the troupe desires. Personally, I'd make adding +2 up to the max half again the magnitude. So a spell that raises up to zero by 2 points is a base 45 spell. It's a bit more vis efficient, but it is harder to do.
  6. Maybe, but there aren't any specific guideline for it, except for Muto Corpus increasing size, which increases strength by extension (it also decreases quickness) as outlined in Realms of Power:Magic.
  7. Mythic Alchemy from HMRE does allow you to change things, but it's a major supernatural virtue and a huge investment of time. I'm OK with that price for the limited ways that they can change essential nature.
    8 ) I think so, I'd have to review Crescent & Cradle.
  8. Sure, sounds like a straightforward CrMe effect, and I'd suspect that it's inline with the Himnis (serf's parma) group that make cursed items.
    10a Teaching many students the Arts would be a Hermetic Breakthrough, IMO. In my saga, I made it a separate Arcane ability that works like teaching and substitutes for Teaching in calculating Source Quality. Puissant Teaching and Affinity Teaching apply to Teaching, while Hermetic Instruction is its own ability that can be used in the place of Teaching, when teaching multiple students Hermetic Arts. Note, this was the basis of the saga, in other sagas it might not even be possible. The character wouldn't know it is impossible, but the players and the SG might agree it is impossible and goes through the effort anyway...
    10b) Hermetic, if it is possible at all, I don't think it is, or should be.

A very quick review of tC&tC seems to reveal that alchemy is only discussed in the contexts of Mythic Alchemy, Solomonic or Mazdean being variants of Mythic...

1: The first...um, I wouldn't even know where to begin with that one. Copying books magically, however, is a Creo Animal ritual with Intellego and Terram requisites (Herbam too if you're copying the covers) and costs an ungodly amount of vis.

Transforming Mythic Europe has an entire section on other methods of copying books (using Rego craft magic - this has its own problems) and generally playing magical printing press. Short form, if you want to do it this way, you need an extremely high Finesse skill.

2: Canonically, it should be possible to create life with CrCo. Nobody's managed to do it yet, so there's probably other factors involved. As for creating a mind: A mind is partially a soul and cannot function without one. (Art & Academe has more details.)

3: Altering luck is not part of Hermetic magic; you'd need to develop another Art.

4: There are ways to do that, but the concept itself doesn't exist. If a knife was used to murder, just use Intellego Terram and ask it.

5: Not with one spell. You have to repeat the ritual multiple times (the lab texts for these spells are Mercere secrets, by the by).

6: Can.

7: Yes, it does break Essential Nature.

8: It can. Most magi of Hermes have better uses for their time, though. As for Scientates Suleimanis, that's adapting Solomonic alchemy, not experimental philosophy.

9a: Not the way you think. If you want people to lust after someone, you have to affect the minds of the people who you want lusting after them, not the person.

9b: Yes. You can make a ring with a Sight-range Rego Mentem effect: "whoever sees this ring will want to possess it."

10: I'd call them both Major.

1.so basically there is no way to enchant people with passive area affecting abilities.
2.what is life without a mind? i mean what use is a mindless body lying aroung? though if the idea of physiological responses applies in the game's science i guess that's one way for an old wizard to have sex witout raping someone with mente.
3. so i assume that the breakthroughs integrated from traditions are just examples?? for instance there is no offocial breakthrough on what happens if youtry to integrate solomonic time magic or learned magician fate magic. the funny thing here is that if you did this the hermetic fate/time magics would be FAR more flexible than these 2 groups can do,
4.i was wondering this for a time. does the idea of consensual reality exist in mythic europe? because if not it means that a game that reachis into the 17 18 century would have newton be a completedelusional idiot.
5.concerning the major limits im really confused. does the fact that they are major means they can't be broken ever? this might be the case for the divine but the are just so many things affecting esential nature.
for instance solomonic alchemy is a mythic alchemy variant.so technically if i integrate it i just partially broke the limit of essential nature.
or consider the mysteries. i know they are different but they are hermetic mysteries right? that means someone somewhere once madea breakthrough breaking essential nature and turned himself in a being of magic anotherguymade the virtue unaging or at least he made it shareble . all these don't seem to follow the rules for breakthroughs.

1. speaking of arts do the five techniques control ALL aspects of reality?(assuming you have the correct form.)
  2. i assume making a new art is a hermetic breakthrough . if only because the only ones that remain(time and fate or maybe just time depending on interpretation) would b ydefinition be hermetic breakthroughs.

There is no "consensual reality" in ArM in the manner you are referring to. The world just is, and no amount of changing your perceptions of it will alter that. The very idea of reality assumes it may be mutable, so it does not exist in ArM.

You seem to have a lot of questions of how breakthroughs interact with the world - remember that breakthroughs are stories, and thus require in game action by PC's. By this definition, you won't have any breakthroughs outside of PC actions, unless it advances the story in some other way.

It boils down to talk to your GM, see if it is possible in YOUR saga, and then play it out.

The whole idea of integrating other traditions? Never been done before YOUR PC tried it out. The results? Up to you and your GM.

There is one way to create a book as you picture it in your mind, actually.

High complexity CrImg.

Create the illusion of a book in both touch and sight, contains the writing you expect. But there's a flaw in that it isn't actually solid, despite feeling solid, which is damn freaky.

FWIW, I would only allow this if the caster had written the book in advance of the spell's casting AND had the Major Heroic virtue Mythic Mimicry.

Creo Animal with requisites, possibly Herbam for the cover, and possibly Terram for ink, to create the physical book. Quality of the book depends on Finesse and whether you have an appropriate crafting ability.

To include readable text, include a Mentem requisite. How comprehensible the text is ... is another matter. Thoughts are not composed writing. You could, probably would, wind up with gibberish, or complete stream of consciousness text. That might lead to useful insights, or a new literary form, or be utterly valueless.

Those with Enigmatic Wisdom might find it very interesting...

9: This is somewhat automatic with certain Verditius Mysteries.

concerning solomonic magic.

what exactly can their magical alchemy do that hermetics can't?

also is there any reason their arts are all presented as
a)virtues
b)supernatural ones. which implies that any hermetic could learn them(in theory at least.)

Before anyone answer, it's a fair question (or two) to ask.
Do you have The Cradle and The Crescent? Have you read it?

Hint: the answers you seek lie within the book.