HR and CD discussion

Question on advancing our Magus... When doing lab work on spells, if the spell exists in a ArM book, can we consider having or working from a Lab Text for it?

For the core book and all of the Houses of Hermes books, yes.
For other books, it's situational. I'll need to read a bit more about the spell in question to rule as to whether it's common knowledge and/or assign a cost to those spells.

Hm, OK. Pardon my unfamiliarity with the setting. It doesn't have to be Tremere, but the core idea is a bait and switch - she's conceived that she would have had a great relationship with X, and got Votaporix instead. She's a Verditius who doesn't feel part of any team, and coupled with her Blatant Gift, is isolated from most people. Does Guernicus, with a sense of justice, seem more appropriate?

Merinita seems like the logical house. If you want to associate it with one of the characters it looks like Tremere, ex Misc and whatever House Bitter settles on.

@thompsja

Indeed, Merenita seems like the logical choice for a "girl essentially wandering out of Faerie, having been raised there". I'm settled on the Merenita so we can find a link, I can but just a bit younger than you and have the parens you were suppose to have if you want.

Ok, then Merenita it is. I'm currently planning to have a character about 15 years past Gauntlet. Is that fairly close to everyone else?

Where is your character from thompsja ? I assumed transylvanian tribunal from initial pick of the Tremere House, am I right ?

The best advice I can give for character generation, for any saga is to specialize. Pick something that you want to be able to do well that other characters aren't doing. Sometimes that can be accomplished straight out of gauntlet, sometimes you need 10 or more years of post gauntlet advancement.

In this saga, characters can be of whatever age the player wants that satisfies their requirements for being able to do something well. Building on that, you should have some sort of secondary goal of something to achieve during play, and remember that as you advance through the saga. Does that make sense?

In the kingdom of Thessaloniki, near the Bulgarian border.

Calpurnia wants to make specific tools, as needed. She wants a spell:
Manifest the Needed Tool: Creates a steel tool, such as a file, saw, hammer, wedge or other items with only a single moving part. (As the base Individual for creating metals is one cubic foot, this could make a sledgehammer for a Size +2 character)
CrTe 20 (Base 5, +2 Sun, +1 Generalization).

Is this correct/acceptable?

I was looking at a similar thing for a Verdi, to allow casting tools to be conjured, it had: CrTeHeAn, Base 5, 1 Touch, 2 Sun, 2 complexity.
Given you're wanting simple shapes the complexity could go down by 1 mag, but you need to consider a Finesse check in there to create a serviceable tool. I'd still err on the side of higher, but can see it either way. And you need R:Touch at least.

I went through AtD and there's only one Merenita described which isn't exactly the best pater, being close to driven insane by gis experience with the local faeries, may I invent a parens so that the link with Calpurnia can work ?

Certainly.

I'm with ironboundtome on this.

I posted my character background and sheet at gauntlet, they're still drafts but is you have comments, feel free.

Ok, Manifest the Missing Tool is CrTe 20 (Base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Conc, +1 complexity) - I wanted to keep it level 20, so I'm dropping duration to Concentration. An Int+Finesse Roll is required.

Finesse roll questions: City and Guild (p67) states that the Craft Factor is 6 for a standard quality item. Covenants states that using Rego to use Craft always requires a +3 increase in the Ease factor. Does this to Creo magic as well? Do I need to make an Ease Factor roll of 6 or 9 to make a standard quality item with this spell? I'm fine with either decision, it just lets me know how hard it is to do something.

It's going to be rather difficult to maintain concentration on a spell for long periods of time while you're working. It's not something I really want to handwave away. It probably requires that you have a Maintain the Demanding Spell for it to fit together.

Crafting is something of a mess within canon. Houes of Hermes: Societates, which came out after Covenants clarified it by adding a time component to the mix of determining the Ease Factor for making an item. And then added a nasty little nugget that the difficulty for Creo crafting is the same as it is for Rego Crafting, which makes some spells, such as Conjuring the Mystic Tower all but impossible. Creo crafting in this saga is rather simple, and I think 9 is probably a fair number. As a bit of a restriction, I don't want your spell to be overly broad, but I do want you to specify, within the description of the spell what tools you can make with it. This is where the complexity comes into play, rather than making the Finesse roll easier. You can't have an unlimited number of tools be created with this spell, it has to be a defined list. Does that make sense?

Did you miss this? What I tried to ask was: how carefully should we document post-gauntlet advancement?

Oh, sorry. You can advance your character however you wish.

My only requirement is that you have an Ability called Seasons not advanced, and for every season you take off for labwork, finding a familiar, finding an apprentice, chasing a Mystery Cult that you advance that ability by 10xp. This way I can reconcile that you spent the correct amount of XP for your age. Make sense? My experience is that people miss out on experience for these older characters.
If you do take a familiar earlier in advancement, I need a snapshot so I can make sure that the labtotal works out.

How about initiation scripts, with positive presence and a decent level in Merenita Lore, I could probably avoid some of the ordeals; Is that acceptable to alter the scripts this way ?

No.
That would mean that a script would have to exist that allows you to do that. And, it would have to be a script for self-initiation. Two conditions I find to be unlikely.