HR and CD discussion

Well that's mostly because that would be way too strong, as noted just under the sentence you quote.

That would be a nice research to make though.

"-I try to transform his pilum of fire into a fireworks
-Ok. There was a minor problem in your incantation. Looking to the ground, you notice the floor is now lava."

Anyhow, back to my bench, thinking about what can be done...

The spells need to be cast as spontaneous spells to use fast cast. And, IIRC, need to be Spont spells to be cast on other spells. I may be incorrect on this as I am thinking of defensive counterspells which are all sponts. The reason is that you need to be able to jump into an initiative spot that you are not currently in. And you are reacting to another's casting.

I have not read the Mutant rules in a while so they may be different.

You may fast-cast formulaic spells with the appropriate mastery.

I think a spell like this :

The Wizard's Vise (ReVi) Puts a spell up to (TWV level+5) into a shell of magic, delaying its effect until the next sunrise or sunset. (Base, +2 voice, +2 sun) ...would be plenty enough to contain a threatening wizard's spells until it can be dealt with.

But it would certainly not be as funny as combinating several spells to produce something you don't really understand :slight_smile:

You can always spontaneously modify formulaic spells, that's the other way round that's impossible.

Isn't this guideline for you onw spell ? (serf parma)

I'm not 100% sure, because I have the french version of 5ed, but there aswell as in the 4th edition, there is no self-cast requirement.

(5th ed apparently moved this effect from level to level+5magnitude)

The guideline for your spell would be "suppress a spell cast by another" so that's less than half the lvl +5 magnitude : it would only work on spell with duration more than mom in my opinion but it can still be useful...

Hmm, you may well be right.
But then, does that mean that spell containers can't be cast on spells cast by an unwilling magi ? Or that it can, but the spell still has its effect ? What remains of the spell, then ?

A question:

Do we have to spend Build Points on lab texts for spells we've invented ourselves?

I'm back. Really tired tonight, and will tackle questions tomorrow...

I think they can still be cast on unwilling targets and the effect remains the same. An idea might be to use ReVi to suppress the spells of another and if the original spell expires while suppressed then it has been neutralised. It means the ReVi spell needs a duration longer than the target spell, either through concentration or other duration. Note that you cannot suppress a momentary spell, which are many combat spells.
If the ReVi spells then the original spell returns and has its normal effect. It is possible that the original target might not be available though.

No, sorry. It's still too broad. I'd have to make you encounter nothing but fairies.

The social handicap, can you describe the babbling? Like you talk over people? As said it's close to indiscreet, so I'm not wild about it, with some additional explanation. With regards to delusion, it's your delusion...

@jebrick, IBT is right that you missed the range on the Carving spell.

@pyrale
Mastery abilities with the annotation Cult of Mercury are rather limited. Ceremonial casting is widely available in canon, though.
I think Bitter and IBT addressed the problems of MuVi spell casting well enough, but I'll be honest I'm skimming this rather quickly. Am I missing something?

@thompsja
No, but without spending the time, they are in your shorthand and would have to be deciphered by another magus. Lab texts purchased with build points are fully translated texts usable by any magus. All magi are presumed to have lab texts for all the spells they know, but they must be transcribed to be immediately useful to others.

Am I missing anything that wasn't addressed by the rest of the troupe?

Calpurnia has Profession: Scribe at 4. This means she can made readable 240 spell levels of lab texts per season. I had hoped that given that most of her spells are low level, not needing an entire season to create them, that she could use the remainder of the season to transcribe her texts.

Her magic items pushed the very limits of what she could do, and so she has no readable versions of those lab texts. Likewise her Level 35 spell, Vessel of the Clouds.

On another note, her Tireless Scribe Automaton has been built with the Profession: Scribe skill. There's a rule on p.166 of Ars Magica that states that a scribe must have a Magic Theory of 1 to transcribe. Since I have an automaton, I thought a reasonable rule was that the Automaton is incapable of copying quickly, it must transcribe exactly what's on the page. I didn't put a skill of Magic Theory into the Automaton, and the primary purpose of the Automaton was to relieve the drudgework of copying important works. I certainly don't want it to develop corrupted copies. Is this build OK, that the Tireless Scribe will carefully copy all texts, including works on the magical arts?

I can still change it (or take additional flaws) if you feel it's not offering enough story potential.

About the Vim discussion... I think I will simply move my character to another form. It is interesting to think about it, and I would certainly love to play such a character in the future, but right now, I want to play a character which does not require tons of thought, and vim magic does not qualify in that regard. I'm looking for an alternative right now, that may change my character a bit.

Indiscreet is a difficult flaw when viewed through the lens of mechanics. It is, as far as I can remember, the only story flaw that has a mechanical trigger, leaving it somewhat outside of the player's control. Most story flaws usually have the defining block, and then, troupes discuss the story flaws and the characters and determine the specifics of how they are triggered. Within the framework of the game contract for Ars Magica, Story Flaws are the agreed upon situations that are supposed to pull a magus out of his lab. Indiscreet all but requires that he be out of his lab for it to trigger. Further, it can be prevented randomly. I'm not saying don't take it, I'm just saying that you, the player, give up a fair bit of your character's agency and are liable to walk into literally any story, at any time. I probably also need to work with you on a trigger for the first time I need to use it, something based on the character's backstory coming back to bite him. When I ask for a roll against Indiscreet, you lose control of your character for a time, and I say whatever to trigger the story, that's what I mean by losing some of your character's agency.

I don't mind having full agency on my character, RPGing is a game of improvisation, and the boundary between your character and the rest of the world is quite arbitrary, anyway :slight_smile:.

I'm totally open to discuss triggers, if other players need to ignore that I'm in leaking mode.

Jonathan.Link,

Do you want us to build any grogs? (I've got a couple in mind for Calpurnia)

When would you like us to fully detail our Build Point expenditure?

Finishing up Thyra. Been busy at work and just had my home wireless go out which is causing delays.

@pyrale
You can build up some grogs, sure.

Make another post for your build points, whenever you're finished with them, make it in your character thread.

Also, I've been crazy busy at work and will be through this week. Light at the end of the tunnel might be a train, though.