Identifying enchantments

My troupe is asking if there is a quick way to identify the unknown enchantment(s) on an item?
More than how many pawns of Vis was used.

The Comprehend Magic ability can give you a fair idea of the powers in an enchanted item, though not all the details.

Otherwise investigating enchanted items is a seasonal lab activity. (ArM5 p100)

3 Likes

You can also invent a spell similar to Sight of the Active Magic or Sight of the sigil tailored for magical items rather than spell analysis, however note that Intellego Vim on its own will not reveal how to activate the item without a lab action. In some cases, this may not be needed (charged items that are potions or bandages may seem self evident).

2 Likes

My character uses this to make traps. For example, a Touch range Creo Ignem effect that activates whenever you touch the item without saying a codeword first.

What do you mean by quick? Minutes? Weeks? Anything less than a three-month Season?

Based on the context the question came in - minutes to a couple of hours.
Possibly a full day.

The context being examining an item at a stall at a Hermetic fair.

I'll agree with Temprobe, above. InVi spell to give insight into the technique and form, probably a separate one to gauge the magnitude, but not activation keys.

1 Like

So the spells might tell you it is a PeIg effect around level nn, but you would still have to guess whether the mysterious enchanted item was a fire suppressor, darkness bringer, food chiller, or something else.

Exactly.

But Hermetic Magi that sell at Hermetic Fairs that tell you something else than what it actually does, will find themselves the subject of Quesitorial investigation, or a Tribunal trial, or a Wizard's War, or Certamen.

1 Like

The Hermetic Fair should be overseen by the Fair host (deals at mundane fairs are overseen by a Fair witness), but that's getting beyond the scope of the question.