Imaginem Effects to Increase Range of Voice Range Spells?

To pick up one thing mentioned earlier in this thread:

Is it in general agreement that using "Haunt of the Living Ghost" won't allow you to cast spells where the ghost is at? I'd not allow this, I think you'd need to cast your other spells at R:Arc. Using HotLG just allows you to see, hear and speak at this place as well.

A few things. I was not claiming the The Mystic Tower was a boundary spell. But as has come up on this forum, The Mystic Tower does not give you as much Tower as the Engineering says you should.....

As to modifying vs. changing a spell, mostly I'm thinking of the Spell Mastery ability that doubles your resistance if you know the spell. I can't imagine wasting exps on Mastery, but those who do should get a good bang for their buck. Claiming Mutable magic or Vim effects change the spell seems to cheese that.

Ultraviolet, that's the trick. Haunt of the Living Ghost is R : Arc. So, how do I write a spell that will let me cast spells through it?

You'd need to duplicate the Open the Intangible Tunnel effect - ReVi.

HotLG already has the Arcane Connection, so that (at least) is covered. And the Base is higher, and it already lasts Duration:Concentration - that's all good news, as it means OtIT won't increase any of that. But it would still expect two additional magnitudes for the Re & Vi requisites. Might be better to just learn OtIT separately, call it good - esp since OtIT works both ways - if all you want is the Imagonem effect, no reason to open yourself to risk unnecessarily.

I'd disagree. Reread Wizard's Reach.

The range isn't "boosted" - that's a poor choice of words, because it's close to the phrase used in the proscription against "enhancing Voice range with magic" (and it might get confused with Wizard's Boost, diff effect). With WR, the range "increases by one category" - that's a game mechanic, not a descriptive in-game effect. It's as if the spell was designed with "Sight" instead of Voice. You take Range: X and you change it to Range: X+1, as per the hierarchy of ranges on pages 111-112.

If a SG wants to get creative and describe it differently... that's on them. Because that's not how the spell effect is described as working.

(Edit)(An "individual" of stone is given in cubic paces, and CtMT is defined in cubic feet (to mesh with the Lab rules, in large part). Since nowhere in the book is a "pace" defined, there is no way to know if it's "correct" or not. Some players define "1 pace = 1 yard/meter" - that's very handy, but I know of few people whose "pace" is 36 inches/100 cm long, or even close. If 1 pace = "an average person's walking step", closer to 2'/70 cm, the math for CtMT is fairly close.)
(Edit - I stand corrected. 1 pace = 3 feet: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5557)

Hi,

The rules are explicit. Magic cannot directly increase the range one's voice carries. But a big spell or lots of small ones can alter the landscape so that voices echo and carry quite naturally, at which point voice range has become very very nice. Now, if the magus MuCoed to Size +5, I'd probably let his voice carry further for spellcasting, if only because if he MuCoed himself to Size -5, I'd want to rule that he has a itty bitty voice range; fair is fair. (However, if someone's ability to vocalize were PeCoed, I'd still rule that his voice range is gone with his voice.)

I strongly recommend simply enforcing the rule rather than either "letting the magus have it" and then screwing over the player, or letting the rule be broken and then watch as range becomes pretty meaningless.

Anyway,

Ken