In which we secure land for the Covenant

"Two? I knew folks were taking some books when they left, usually what they brought. Let's leave these folks to negotiate and take another look."
((OOC: I believe Tomas thinks there should be more than Tartessos reports, although we have not yet done an inventory?)

After looking over the library with Tartessos, Tomas looks at him. "You are right. Obviously folks took more than we had realized. No way to prove anyone took what they shouldn't have. I wonder if that bookseller in town David mentioned actually bought any of them. It is probably worth buying them back. Then we need to make a list of what our highest priority for new books is, and see what can be found for us." Pause.
"Of course, all of that has to take a back seat to figuring out how much we are going to have to pay to get the rights to put the covenant and hospital where we want them. And to get buildings, etc. Yes, we can help the buildings by magic, but we probably have to be at least a bit discreet. I imagine if several of us pop towers up overnight we would get more attention than we want."

"This library was one of the Great Works of the Order, Tomas, and I swear we will rebuild it greater than ever. In fact, my plans depend on that. Tell me about these sites you are considering building on. It sounds like one is poisoned, and one got Antonius thrown in jail. What about this third one? (referring to the Tarxien thread which is likely near finished)

[tab][/tab] With the quasi permission of the magus, Maffeo studies the box from some distance. It would be a splendid item to have in a laboratory to be sure. Alas the young Mercere spends his vis far too fast, a quirk in his magic. With a quick shake of his head he banishes such morose thoughts, and spies the Vertidius and another man talk in low but harried tones. Something looks amiss. Still the Pygmalios artist seems to be the most official looking person around, so he patiently waits for him to finish his discussion with the excitable woman....

"Wait, you're magicians?" she pokes the box again "So this is just magic not alchemy. That's lame. Still useful" the new girl comments absent minded, in her native tongue.

Paphos laughs, "A few are magicians, others are simple artists, merchants or artisans, all seeking a home. As I mentioned earlier, we currently do not have any alchemists in our caravan, although you are welcome to stay and study to be one." He turns to Maffeo, "I apologize for the chaos you find here today, normally we are more focused a people. Today we are drawn in different directions while at the same time we celebrate the return of a Prodigal Son. Changing thoughts mid stride, he continues, "So, tell me, Maffeo ex Mercere, what is it you seek from a covenant?

[tab][/tab] Maffeo smiles politely when Paphos turns to him, then brushes any apologies aside with a small wave of his hand. '[color=blue] It seems I came at a good time then. I was worried you had already picked a site and built the covenant ' The young Italian laughs softly then turns more serious to answer the Master artist's questions. '[color=blue] I seek a new home. A place to hang my cloak and store my belongings, a place to study and learn undisturbed.... Truly though, that is what every magus in the Order seeks. In my case, I seek... a bit of solitude. Harco, where I grew, was filled with people and transients; and most of the other Roman covenants are too close to towns and cities, with all their bustle and hustle. I was prepare to seek my fortunes in far off Novgorod or Hibernia, even though I speak the natives' language not. This....” he gestures with one hand a wide patch of the land '[color=blue].... is quite remote, yet also close to civilization, just a ship's sail away. And as I stated before, it is easier to find your equal ground in a new-found covenant than an old, monolithic one...'

"Well, we cannot offer you solitude or undisturbed learning as I anticipate for the next few years to have constant demands on our time. Setting up a new covenant will require at all times there to be three emergencies handled by a mere two people, I'm sure. If that works for you, I'm sure the council will consider your request." Paphos looks sideways at Tomas and Tartessos, and again at an empty chair Antonius usually sits in, "I cannot guarantee that will be immediately. In the mean time, I welcome you to the Caravan of Jarcovius, although I'm guessing that name may also be changing soon.

[tab][/tab] Maffeo laughs again, a bit sheepish '[color=blue]Of course. I meant not total solitude, just a bit of time away from most people is fine'. He looks around relieved. '[color=blue]I guess then I can have some of my things brought here. And please ask if and when you need help with things done. I am a scribe by profession and folk say I am good with people, so anything I can assist with, it will be a pleasure' he adds earnestly.

(assuming the conversation was occuring in Latin) Tomas turns at the offer. "If youa re good with people, maybe you could help us out. We need to figure out what we have to do to get Antonius out, and preferably get permission to explore the caves he was at. If any of the Magi here go into tow, I bet we can make things worse" (he says with a half-grin. "Would you like to go in with some of our folks and see if you can help sort it out?"

[tab][/tab] Maffeo looks a bit like a fish out of water. He quickly snaps out of it though and responds '[color=blue] Yes... yes of course!' He thinks a bit more '[color=blue] Eh... Who is this Antonius and where do you want him out of? And caves?'

Paphos will accompany Maffeo, Garcin, and Henri into town and the two grogs can brief Mafeeo on Antonius and the cave adventure. While Maffeo and the grogs are handling the hearing, Paphos will inquire about town about orphanages. He wants to find if/how many there are, find their reputation among "graduates", and if he finds one run relatively honestly, he'd like to sponsor it with half a pound of silver per season, purely for the good of the children of course. He hints that there even may be the possibility of job placement for those with a clean record and hard work ethic.

The silver is from the caravan treasury. He figures right now it's easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

All the while the humans were discuting below in the grand tent, Julia was perched on a wooden pole, cleaning her plummage, and especially a few ruffled feathers at the tip of her white wings.... until she heard that Antonius was prisonner in a jail in Mdina.

She let out a loud " WHAT ?!?!", and quickly flew down and perched herself on the large wooden table in the middle.

"Please, tell me what happened.", she says visibly worried.

(Just to make sure I am reacting to the right thing, a bird not known to any of us just landed on the table and asked us to tell it what happened?)
"Tomas, looking slightly nonplussed, asks "what happened with what? So many things seem to be happening. And who are you?" He then turns to Cheech and asks "Is that a familiar I missed? You tend to notice these things more than I."

Julia responds to Tomas, with a tone denoting both anger and worried:

"Oh you know who full well I am, Tomas-Ex-Bonisagus. "

"Can anyone, please, tell me what happened ?"

(OOC: Tomas travelled with Julia for over a year in the caravan. She has the same voice when she is a bird or in a human body)

"And Vulpus is around here somewhere, probably out chasing rabbits or harrassing the grogs with philosophiae or something like that."

Tomas looks at Julia "Antonius agreed to be held prisoner pending seeing a judge on charges of trespassing. Apparently, the Count's Warden came upon Antonious and the Grogs. He was going to arrest the Grogs, but you know Antonius. He insisted on going himself. We are sending folks into town to help sort it out. I am sure he will be fine."

There is no orphanage in Mdina, though you are referred to a church orphanage which has been granted some land out by itself, and given directions to it.

He'll go visit the church orphanage and make a donation.

Do you want to play that out or just summarize?