In which we secure land for the Covenant

(OOC: I think Hagar Quim fits everything we want; it is close to the sea, we could have a secret harbour, magical cave system, aspected aura of 10 (i.e. +20 to cast intellego spells and +20 to intellego lab totals, which is hard to pass up) and a lower aura so grogs dont warp or warp very slowly, possible vis source nearby, etc.

silveroak: could it be possible to have the equivalent offers from the owners of hagar quim and skorba ? we can roleplay it or summarize it, depending on if you and the others players want to or not.)

From your description, Carlo seems quite irritated at us for both discovering and making public something he would rather keep hidden. We could instead meet with the minster of land management whom I met yesterday, but it is my impression the Count is out of town both frequently and for long periods of time, piracy being as difficult as it is these days. I wonder if the hidden supplies and dock actually have anything to do with the Count, as he his activities are both clear in the light of day and under legal sanction. He has no need to hide his spare sails and bolts, and goes to some inconvenience to do so.

Maybe Carlo is trying to hide something not connected to the Count, like maybe activity by real pirates?

Regardless, I agree it would be nice to have land rights to each of the auras eventually, and the aspected aura is an intriguing find, although not to my talents, I'm afraid.

I believe we have nothing to fear from a Saracen landlord as they have no military way of enforcing their rights. Thus any dispute would end up in a Frankish court which is the best we could hope for.

[tab][/tab]'[color=blue]If I may?' asks Maffeo looking around, then he plunges on. '[color=blue]From the preliminary investigation of the two sites, both are secluded and both have magical auras of a kind or another. Here are my thoughts on each:'

-[tab][/tab]Hagar quim[tab][/tab]An intellego aspected aura is most potent, especially for the Order. The ban on scrying against Magi is strictly enforced by the Code, but scrying others is not; in this case the Arabs and the coast of Africa. That would definitely interest the Order and claim it as an observation outpost, which is both good and bad. (Maffeo too doesn't have an inclination on intellego magics)
[tab][/tab] The auras are a bit too powerful though, warping is going to be expected. The arable land seems to be sparse there and the fact that there are extensive caves underneath would make quarrying dangerous. Proximity to the sea is desirable and the caves could be used for storage too.
[tab][/tab] However the biggest problem is the Count. Maffeo too suspects that the pirates are connected to him or his brother. Common sense would dictate that pirates don't have hideouts on the islands they prey on, the danger of discovery is too great. Either these are pirates indigenous to Malta or some kind of smuggling operation. Maffeo also doesn't trust the Count or his officials for..eh..personal reasons ( :S).
-[tab][/tab]Tarxien[tab][/tab]Potent non-aspected aura that seems to be most concentrated on a patch of land (and below it?) so it is possible to have the covenfolk stay outside its influence, though here too warping might be unavoidable. Secluded place is a bit far from the coast (bad for transportation, good against piracy). There is much land that can be cultivated around.
[tab][/tab] The place though has a sinister reputation it seems. Moreover this mention of primitive men, if accurate, means the covenant would have to deal with them in one way or another. The problem of the Arab holder of the land is a mixed bag. True, there is the matter of trustworthiness from their side; however most of the islands are of muslim populace and the Count is over everyone. Maffeo agrees with Tatressos on the jurisdiction issue and any problems that might arise.
-[tab][/tab]Skorba[tab][/tab] Little known besides the initial contact. Its too close to mundanes though and its proprietor is unknown.

[tab][/tab]'[color=blue]...in conclusion, I must say I gravitate towards the Tarxien site.... if only to avoid political issues with both the mundanes and the Order...

Summarizations and quick resolutions:

1. Skorba- if anyone approaches the Baron of Mggar he will allow the covenant to use the land, under condition they take over management of Mggar and provide more revenue to his family than what the "the Muslim" was providing before the Baron came to Malta. The feudal obligation belongs to his family, you would simply be managing the territory for them, but he will be quite explicit that you cannot hire "The Muslim" to assist with the work.

2. Haggar qim and the Blue Grotto- some time after the expedition a representative of the Duke comes to visit the covenant. Though well dressed there is an odor of fish about him and a certain gruffness to his demeanor. "The count has heard of your discovery of the sails and bolts, as indeed has most of Malta and probably beyond at this point, and we would like to discuss this situation discreetly, with someone who is able to make decisions for your organization..." long story short the count feels it would be in his best interest to have a band of pirates who are less attached to his official capacity than his own ship, and as the group has a ship of their own, he is considering making a public gesture of granting you use of the land for your help in clearing out this band of pirates, if in return you would start your own pirate expedition within the boundaries of legitimate targets he provides you. The sailcloth, bolts and dock would be yours to start off your enterprise.

"So we can get the rights to Skorba, but we will end up with an unhappy village. We can go fight pirates for the count, and then have to undertake piracy for him. Or we can go for the barren hilltop with no secondary aura." Tomas stops. Then continues "I suppose noone promised us getting this set up would be easy. I think the hilltop with the nearby small village/harbor/port is probably the best choice. Getting a scared village to cooperate with us would be a major hassle. And I do not want the Grand Tribunal deciding we caused trouble when we played pirate."

I didn't think we had a boat - that character never entered the game. Or did Vicente come with one?

OOC: If the magi are doing the piracy it would be so illegal its not even funny. We'd be working for a noble directly. Even clearing out the pirates in exchange for land would be questionable. I do note that my companion is technically noble, so she could make a "face" for the covenant. Technically she's not even mundane.

I did have a ship listed as an asset of the caravan from the beginning- I believe that was the inspiration for the captain character which, as noted, never entered the game.
Piracy would not be so much directly under the count as... unofficially sanctioned by the count. Piracy itself is allowed within the order, and there is no oath of fealty involved, but yes it could cause some suspicion amongst the quaesitors- probably about as much as they would be suspicious of a covenant having a town charter... none of these require an oath of fealty or technically cross the line, but all have a chance to be seen differently by an over-eager quaesitor.

Tartessos leans back with a thoughtful expression on his face. "It strikes me that there is a way to eventually get all three sites. Sometimes one problem is simply a problem, but two or three tend to solve themselves. It seems we have Tarxien already negotiated, so I will address the other two sites."

"I have no interest in piracy per se, I find it distasteful at best and destructive of civilization at worst.  However, if the target list included anti-piracy patrols aimed at the many Saracens pirates using the islands as a source of water and slaves, I would easily be convinced to support hunting them.  It's nothing more than suppressing banditry, which I think every covenant is involved in at one point or another.  It would also provide a VERY valuable cover to morph our team to conduct salvage operations without official interference.  Regardless I would prefer this activity not be linked to us, and it would take some seasons of preparation to ensure this."

"As for Skorba, it looks like the only requirement will be to disenfranchise the presumably honorable man who showed hospitality to our magi and covenfolk.  Perhaps we could offer him a promotion, such as being the first Mayor of our town near Tarxien?  Even if he is contractually not able to assist in managing Skorba, we could still use his advice in how another individual might manage the village.  He must know the attitude of the young Baron and this offers him both a personal way out and still gives him some investment in the future of his people.

Before we go further with this speculation, let us inquire as to the so called "target" list, and the amount of taxes we would have to produce at Skorba."

Mggar currently provides a revenue of 40 lbs a year.

The count's 'target list' is acceptable targets, and you are not required to go after any particular target, or category of targets. It is likely to change with political realities, at the moment it would be Venetians and Island based Saracens that could be targeted.

Keep in mind as well that trying to build a covenant in 3 locations could be a problem in terms of your aegeis of the hearth and dividing up your limited starting resources... better to pick one then look into founding a chapterhouse in the future.

Paphos is extremely uncomfortable with the idea of sponsoring a reaver. "I think this may be a test - are we truly a group of meek scholars trying to establish a hospital, or do we hide power behind a facade of innocence? What business would scholars have even entertaining the idea of piracy? Much less have any hope of being successful at it? Even if anyone was inclined towards this deal, it violates the image we have built of ourselves. I say reject this idea and build at Tarxien.

I remind you that the foresight in beginning to build a workshop at Tarxien means we can continue building this season, where building at another site would start out behind.

Antonius listen to everyone arguments, before making sharing his impressions about which site to establish the covenant.

"Sodales, if I may share my opinion about the different possible places where we could establish our covenant. We journeyed to Skorba and its inhibitants offered us a
warm welcome, despite our respective gifts; I have the feeling that if we were to improve their conditions, they would be very loyal to us in return. I think the man
known as the Muslim would rather see the people of the village live healthier and longer life than having a bruised ego, and if not, I think he would be very much
happy to be compensated for not lifting a single straw. Furthermore the baron of Mggar doesn't care about his land, and we would have free reins to do absolutely
everything we want for as long as we provide the baron forty pounds of silver per year, which we are more than capable of generating given the land around Mgarr and
some ... more creative means. As for the reputation of the place, it might have a sinister reputation among the locals, but when we inspected the site, we found
nothing particularly threatening; no ghosts, no demons, no fey; only a few goats. The bad reputation result probably of the warping in causes, and my guess is that if
the other too temples had villages nearby, they would have the same reputation as Skorba. I think that if we trully wish to establish an hospital, it should be near
Mgarr, where we can trully help people."

He look at the audiance and continues his speech:

"In my opinion, Hagar Quim is the most promising choice. Sure, we could not probably grow enough food except maybe for the covenant, and sure there are is a cave
system that might make a quarry dangerous; however I ask you to consider this: the ruins have been standing there for centuries, maybe millenia, and the ground has not
collapsed underneath them, as it would not underneath the structure that we would build. Don't forget, we would have access to the sea, a safe harbour, and we could
conduct our business without being dependant on local shipowners and raising questions. Despite the apparent lack of source of income, it is quite the contrary; having
a ship or even ships, means that we can trade. I think everyone of you is aware the price black pepper, saffran and other luxury commodities can fetch in the large
mainland cities. We could even conjure... I mean import different commodities each year as not to saturate the market."

He looks towards the redcap and says:

"David, you have have a certain knowledge of merchants and the transport of good I gather. I am sure you can attest that it would be indeed feasible."

And adress the rest of the assembly:

"But there is more. I think it is the most logical choice in term of benefits it grants to our Art. As we explore around the island, we might find underwater sources
of vis, and having a ship would provide us with the means to collect it discretly. Like I said, the aura is aspected towards intellego. Granted, it is the
specialization of none of us, but it is even more valuable: if we wish so, and I am sure we will at some point in the next decades, we will be able to invent such
spells without spending months pouring over intellego tomes, and thus spent more time researching arts which interest us more.

Also think in terms of the future expansion for the covenant. The cave systems would be perfect for that, in that it is out of sight, and much less conspicuous than
overland buildings. It would be also an ideal site for a forge, it's aura is high enough as to facilitate the enchanting process and low enough to avoid warping of
mundane folks. While our lab proper could be in the powerful aura of the temple. There is also a probable source of vis there, and maybe many more in the caves, so it
would make sense to acquire the land in which it is, as a mean to avoid future attemps to claim any of them by other magus.

Now there is the topic if piratery. I do not wish for us to conduct active piratery, even though it is not prohibited by the order, but chasing the current pirates out of the blue grotto, I would not mind at all. Maybe we could make a counter offer to the count; help him policing the sea around the islands, and give him a share of our merchant business, with which he could probably find someone else to do his more shadier business. I think that if this solution would be agreable to everyone."

And then there is Tarxien, a site that is worthy too. But I think that you underestimate what this town charter might cost us. We will be giving a lot of silver to muslim nobles in the Thebean tribunal and that might come to haunt us. Also, the politics of the mundanes folk might drag us in unecessary conflicts which will distract us; what if a war is declared between the muslim noble and the count of Malta ? Will our covenant be a legetimate target for frankish nobles then ? And to which extant are you prepared to go to guarantee equal right of the muslim inhibitants ? To me, mundane politics is best to be avoided. And then there are those mysterious primitives too... which might pose a threat to our covenfolk.To me it is the less desirable choice.

In light of the recents developpement with the count and the baron, I urge you to reconsider. My preference are, in order Hagar Quim, Skorba and then Tarxien."

(OOC: I dont like stories that involve mundane interactions to much, and it is a major story hook of Tarxien. I would much rather have adventure at sea, or in the caves or even in distant ports, or even involving pirates and merchants)

OOC, here is the number crunching for taxes:

Skorba: 40+ lbs per year, equal to the income of a typical covenant, come packaged with a pre-existing income of about 40 lbs for a net income of zero.

Tarxien: taxes of 5 pennies per citizen (minimum 1/3 population), pus 10% of earnings. If we assume 100 inhabitants, of which 33 are citizens, the "head" tax will amount to 165 pennies per year, or just over 1/2 a pound. Add in a typical income of 40 lbs (which we will spend stories to create) and we owe taxes rounded up to 5 lbs/year, with a net income remaining of 35 lbs.

Hagar Qim: No stated taxes, but the major hook Favors Owed (attack xxxx) will hang over our heads like the Sword of Damocles. Income inconsistent, but likely to equal 40 lbs/year (will require stories to create).

End numbers: Skorba is by far the most expensive site in terms of silver, Hagar Qim is both the cheapest and the "strongest" in terms of aura, but will cost heavily in stories at a later date. Tarxien is in between, using a minimum of money and probably producing fewer stories than Hagar Qim.

One last note - just because we are creating a "town" doesn't mean we will actually have a town. If we want it'll just be us friendly covenfolk.

Tartessos is voting Hagar Qim, Paphos is supporting Tarxien.

actually with Skorba part of the deal is that you would provide an income to the family greater than taxation alone, so there would be a slight negative income from Skorba, the exact amount has not been defined.

OOC: I think we can now vote on the future covenant site. I am not sure how everyone wants to proceeds. We could do first past the post of multiple round where one site is eliminated. or we could do first choice, second choice and third choice with the one with most points winning.

People who have voting right now according to the charter:

Tomas: 1 vote
Tartessos: 1 vote
Paphos: 0.25 vote
David: 1 vote (it think this is somewhat an important matter, and Antonius would not object if he voted.)
Antonius: 1 vote
Maffeo: 0.5 vote or 1 vote, depending on if he is considered probationnary member or full member (I mean, in theory he arrived one or two weeks after the council meeting, so imo he should be full member)

that's about it for now I think.

As of now:

Tarxian: Tomas, Maffeo, Paphos for a total of (1.75 vote or 2.25 vote, depending on status of Maffeo)
Hagar Quim: Antonius, Tartessos, (total of 2 votes)
Skorba: None

TBD: David, who will probably have the final say.

OOC would certainly support Maffeo getting full status - probationary is for those who join after the founders have invested significant time and resources, but we haven't had a single season yet.

I'd say it's up to David, unless he votes Skorba for some reason!

David looks around, slightly surprised at being expected to make the call on this. (in Latin of course, as this is a formal setting) "For me, the complications of the Count's 'offer' seem a stronger negative than the problems around Tarxian. I could wish that the residents of Skorba were more cooperative, but wishes do not make even my sodales ride, even if they come close. Also, it strikes me that we have the time to work out the access to the other sites. From what I have gathered, there is enough at Tarxian to keep us busy for a few years. During which time we can try to arrange more friendly access to the temple at Skorba. And that in turn will give us plenty of time for is to gently get this area away from dependence on piracy, thus making it safer for trade, and for folks to visit our hospital. By which time ..." At which point David realizes he is rattling on. "Tarxian."

Antonius tries to hide his dissapointement, says :

"Every member has cast its vote and it is now clear that the covenant will be established near the temple ruins of Tarxien. May Tarxien bring good fortune to us all."

"Due to the foresight of Paphos, the first stones have already been layed out and I suppose many more will follow soon. If we build a hospital, I would rather have a sturdy wall around the covenant, circular of course. We have better means of protecting ourselves than with towers, and walls with a large moat will surely keep indesirable visitors away for sure. I understand the need for subtelty, but I think we need to maybe contemplate the possibility of conjuring the city wall, otherwise it might prove to be a long and expensive task, as well as requiring more manpower than we could find."

"What do you think ?"

Paphos seemed started when you commended him for his foresight. "It was actually that peasant, Ismael who came up with the idea. Penko and a grog have been doing the planning and sorting for what we would need for a masonry workshop"

OOC - this thread jumped a few weeks, and the Tarxien thread has not been closed. Presumably Penko has been using those three weeks to begin the setup of a workshop. Planning and getting gear ready seems as good a use as actually onsite, so we could go either way. If you prefer us onsite, then presumably we'd loan a grog for security (Garcin would volunteer; he wants to learn the language of the cave people). If not, they have been prepping so as to use these weeks wisely and not lose a season.

Tartessos is thoughtful when you mention a wall. "Hmm, I to prefer the security of a wall, although I question whether we will get much custom for a hospital that appears overnight. Regardless, I do not think we have a ritual to conjure a wall, and while craft magic could hasten the project, much would have to be sponted every day. I'm sure in a season I could craft an item that could do some of the work for us, although I confess my crafting thoughts had already turned toward food and income. Did you know a single date palm produces enough sap in a year to produce a over a hundred gallons of syrup that could either be turned into a liquor, or processed further into sugar? Do you know how much a pound of sugar is going for in the streets of Palermo? I forsee years of crafting in that stuffy tent before I get around to setting up a proper lab.

Tomas looks at the discussants. "Antonious, I presume you are think of simply using safe spontaneous spells to help move the earth and rock so that the wall construction can go much more smoothly and quickly? A full conjuring of a wall would be impressive, but expensive. And I doubt we want 'impressive' right now. Tartessos, can you help with that sort of activity? I can't quite do so yet, although my Rego is better than it was. On the high-aura side, I imagine many of us can help with the earth moving." (OOC: Magnitude 1 /level 5 spells can be done by several of us safely; I believe Antonious can do magnitude 2 / level 10. And he has the finess to do some of the more precise work. I would not ask anyone to do stressful casting on the high-aura side, as that could get rather too interesting. As far as I can tell, the Masonry crafting skill does not help with casting the Rego/Terram spells. Nor with the magical finesse.)