Incantation of Lightning - why R:Voice?

Who cares, i can change it to use Touch instead...

Not by your logic it wouldnt. If you agree that its the same for lightning, then fine, if not then you´re simply trying to get the lightning spell for cheap.

You´re arguing that you can use lightning that way, lightning does NOT go straight or in the direction you point it, end of story. The only way you can make, or rather actually TRY to make lightning strike where you want it is to place something conducting or with the opposite charge close enough. And there is zero guarantee that it will still strike where you want it.

Predictable lightning, and you think that is less unnatural than shooting a thread of fire? I can create a thread of fire for real, not a very long one(well in theory i could that as well) but it can certainly be done.
I could never ever hold lightning in my hand and make it strike where i want.

Thats not a problem at all. Just make the "firing thread" thin enough and you wont even use 1% of the total amount of fire for it.

:unamused:
Who said anything about NOT having identical effect on the target? You´re totally forgetting your own rules lawyering. The thread is only needed to connect my Touch to where the target is, the damage effect is identical to PoF. I only need to touch the effect at all, nothing more, by YOUR logic.

Read above.
The reason is that you´re reading and interpreting everything just to have it be convenient to how you want it to work.
I very much doubt you will find anyone else who agrees with you about this.

Ah, and here you actually give yourself the answer to your previous two questions and misconceptions.
Thank you, you just justified my Touch Range PoF again. Because its logic is identical to what you said above.

A lightning can be at least leagues long.

Why? You make it go where you want without using anything to control it without adding magnitudes for unnatural. And for your information, a lightning bolt CAN go through doorways and cave entrances quite well, even closed doorways even if its rare.
So your perfect control without Rego is actually monumentally more unnatural.

Make that from stormy clouds above and i might agree. I would still add 1-2 magnitudes for making it strike where i want.

You DO realise that the reason why people talk about "out of the blue" is when something happens that is EXTREMELY surprising? Because lightning from a clear blue sky is also EXCEPTIONALLY rare.

Yes, but then you´re creating natural lightning, over which you have zero control where they strike.

You´re doing some extreme rules lawyering and im yet to see anyone actually agree with you on it.

Base 10, +2 Voice. Cognitive dissonance much?
So, how is this different from TIoL?

"A XXX shoots forth from your outstretched hand ..."
"A XXX shoots from your hand ..."
Yes, yes. I can see they are very different. One is purely cosmetic but not the other. Do as you wish in your saga.

P.S. I am invoking the Central Rule and saying that your standard lightning does +25 damage.

Yes, that's a touch-range incantation of lightning. Like a touch-range BoaF.
I'm 100% with callen on this one: Making lightning appear at your fingertips (touch range) or on a distant target (voice) is exactly as unnatural. In one case, you'll fry someone you touch, in the other, someone further away.

We disagree on this. It's one of those mileage issues. If your troupe agrees, fine, go with it, but, clearly, not everyone will.

How many, since you warrant creating a lightning bold in a cave or building to be only worthy of a +1 magnitude? I doubt very much Callen's lighting bolt, passing through a window (or even a dozen), would be worth more than this (and it certainly should be worth less).

Ya, having been struck in such a way (happily with a weak remaining portion and not the whole bolt), I would tend to agree with Fixer. In a really huge cave complex, perhaps not, but outside of that it's more unlikely than unnatural.

Chris

I always viewed the Incantation of Lightning just like a Pillum of Fire and BoAF : the fact that the lightning arced from your fingertip to the target being just a cosmetic effect, while the fact that the spell works 'wholly divorced from its normal context' gets the +4 magnitude. Incidentally, it means that the same spell level does the same damage with both Auram and Ignem, and that is important.

Nothing prevents you from rewriting the spell differently, with Range: Touch. You still have the +4 magnitude, of course, and you will have to use a Rego requisite to direct the lightning to the target (and incidentally, keep it from frying you, since you are touching it !). Or a targeting roll, to aim your lightning precisely at the target (and it is still touching you !). Remember, when you Creo something, unless you put in extra magnitudes or make a Finesse roll, you create an 'average' example of the thing with no fine control over its shape.

I don't see that you need the Rego in there. IF you wanted a ReAu lightning spell it would work fine provided you had natural lightning to base if off of. Then you would need targeting rolls and it would ignore magic resistance. But if you don't have a suitable storm handy it wouldn't do much. I would be fine with such a spell and it probably would have a relatively low level for the damage of the spell.

1 Like

Otherwise, the lightning will go and hit wherever. And you wont know where and cant control where unless you physically touch the desired target.

I doubt it. How do you expect to be able to direct lightning that appears and is gone completely randomly for a fraction of a second?

Once again, lightning doesnt go straight nor is it likely to move in the direction you "sent it" the instant you no longer directly control its direction.

Lightning goes where ever the lord wills it. Remember that we are dealing with medieval understandings. Even from a scientific understanding you could bias the conductive path. When people trigger lightning for scientific experiment it is no at all random after all. So it is entirely possible it is chaotic but not random in the real world.

And you can create the lightning in what ever shape you want anyway.

This is the only aspect of the spell that bothers me, though I don't see the reasoning on the Touch range but I don't really care too much. The increase for "unnatural" should be defined WHAT is unnatural. The fact that you cast a lighting bolt from you fingers, without a cloud, is not what I think they are referring to when they call it unnatural. I suspect, and it's the best I can do really without speaking with the person who came up with the spell, that the "unnatural" is the actual controlling and focusing of the lighting to a target. That to me seems the unnatural thing.

You call lighting down from a clear sky to zap where ever it wants. Fine, natural. You fling bolts of lighting from your finger tips without a care where they land. Fine, natural. You direct and create a bolt that goes exactly where you are wanting it to go... that seems to be where you get caught with unnatural.

But I have a problem with unnatural modifier as well. Spell guides seems to pick and choose when to add a mod for "unnatural" and when not to... I suppose most of the time I understand it, but on this occasion I cannot see how a a jet of flame and a lighting bolt, one can distinguish between one being natural and the other not.

As for the rest... have fun.

There are no CrAu guidelines for damage. I think the logic is every CrFo should do the same damage at the same magnitude, nothing more. There's nothing to gain by breaking that.

I am in complete agreement. In the end this is probably the biggest reason for the level of the spell.

From what I have seen in the midd range spells, Ignem is supposed to do +5 damage at the same spell level than other forms. I think this is a design option "creo ignem is the damage combo". Following that, I always thought that crystal dart should be +5 damage, not +10 (legacy spell).

Regarding lightnings out of the blue. No, they do not exist. If more than half the posters in a thread are saying something is wrong, it probably is wrong. Do whatever you fancy in your saga, but it is not RAW by any far stretch of imagination.

Cheers,
Xavi

I don't have a problem with that, but I agree that the general principle applies. BUt remember crystal dart is a Mu(Re)Te spell not a basic Ce-- spell. So the requisite would make it fair.

You can fairly canonically(by guideline if not example) get cut price lightning spells by requiring that they be cast during a thunder storm. The lowering of the utility of the spell should balance. Another example of unequal damage for equal level would be a concentration levitation spell that you drop the target of it from a great hight. The several turns it would take to get them to that hight would mitigate the potential for greater damage.