Information about the new Faerie book for Ars Magica 5th Ed!

Hiya All !!:slight_smile:

I am sorry if this question has already been asked in the past & answered, but I have been out of the loop for a fair while now, so I don’t know what has and hasn’t been asked, so I am sorry if this has already come up!

I was wondering if there is any information on the new Faerie Book for Ars Magica 5th Edition, as my character is mainly based in Arcadia, so any new information / story ideas or any other details would be very handy for me!

Also I was wondering if any of the other Ars Magica 5th Edition books contain any information or any other details on the Fae, as so far I haven’t gotten around to collecting Ars Magica 5th Edition, so if any of them do, I would know which of the books I would need to track down?

Without recalling or revealing the contents in the slightest, I think perhaps the Merinitia section of the Mystery Houses book might have some detail, although less than a Realm book would have.

The realm books for fifth edition are coming out at one book per year. Divine came out this summer and it looks like Infernal is going to be the book for next summer. My bet is that magic is destined to come out before faerie. So my guess for the release date of Realms of Power: Faerie is (sadly) July 2008.

The reason that I think we'll see magic before Faerie is because we’ve had two faerie books out already (for second edition and third edition). I'd look to the older faerie books for inspiration (story inspiration not mechanical) also there is the recently (well 2003) published adventure anthology Faerie Stories for fourth edition.

For mechanical inspiration I’d look at Realms of Power: Divine. The parallels between the Faerie magic virtue and the Divine magic virtue are obvious.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if powerful faerie lords get powers not dissimilar to the methods and powers of the divine book in structure. (Naturally the faerie lords would throw around powers with a great deal more force than a typical ungifted Cathar) this would give them something that has flexibility but is not just hermetic magic with some new names.

Also, I see some faeries as being capable of curses and blessings. I think that the grugachan/ Trollsnyr/ cunning man/ arraif curse-boon mechanics from third and four editions handle this very well.