Item effects being triggered

From wikipedia:

Sunrise (or sunup ) is the moment when the upper limb of the Sun appears on the horizon in the morning. The term can also refer to the entire process...

From US Naval Observatory:

the precise definition states that sunrise or sunset is when an observer at sea level with an unimpeded view of the horizon sees the upper disc of the sun to be tangent to (touching) the horizon.

Sunrise may be just a moment or may be 1 diameter. I know someone definitely claimed it is 1 diameter, but the actual standard is just a moment rather than stretched over two minutes. This is why, when you look up sunrise times, you see things like 6:21 rather than 6:21-6:23. But the term could refer to the whole diameter as well, so we cannot be sure the authors meant just that brief moment, though statements like this become quite odd if it is not just a brief moment:

The end of the ritual (the sacrifice) was done half a Diameter after sunrise; thus at least some Diedne were caught without Parma.

Meanwhile, we know an effect and a MuVi affecting it can go off in the same round in the same item due to sunrise. Now maybe MuVi is an exception with its Linked Trigger and being designed to be paired with the other effect as it is.

Personally, I run sunrise with the standard definition and allow it to trigger multiple effects in an item in one round. But should this extend to things outside of Environmental Trigger?

1. At the same time. I consider that if an human don't need a skill to detect the trigger, then you don't need an Intellego spell to trigger your object. You can then use an environmental trigger.
  2. At the same time (see below)
  3. No need for an Intellego effect to detect light, but still possible. At the same time.
  4. You do it like Hermanus in his sunken laboratory (cf. Legends of Hermes): A single item detecting light might activate all items in the room (see Herald of Imperative enchantment). Thus, they are activated at the same time. This is very powerful because you only need lesser items.

Point 1 and 4 are the reasons why I wouldn't forbid points 2 and 3 (moreover, imho nothing forbids it in the rules).

The effects I have found in raw that activate an Environmental Trigger with something other than the rough outline in the core book contain that Form (ether as the main or a requite) and the thing must happen within its Target.

For example an effect that extinguishes all fire in a room (PeIg, T: Room), with an Environmental Trigger that activates the effect when a fire is in the room.

The books seem to disagree on this one. For instance, it's trivial for a person watching someone transform into an animal to know they are transforming into an animal; but that takes an Intellego effect, even in a magus's Talisman.

I would certainly accept an Environmental Trigger matching the Form far sooner than I would accept nothing to detect it.

Well knowing and seeing are two different things. If a magus relies on an environmental trigger, I'd allow to deceive the object with an illusion.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong. You'd allow deceiving an object to missing Environmental Triggers, so an illusion could make it not recognize sunrise/sunset? So you could stop many effects from ending with a visual illusion?

In the adventure The Sunken Laboratory of Hermanus (LoH p.95ff) there is indeed a new Rego Vim Level 5 guideline in a box on p.107. This new guideline not only enables Herald of Imperative (p.106 box), but also a very simple Wizard's Mitrailleuse, to write down in two lab texts and spread all over the Order.

The first lab text explains the spell ReVi 20 Salvo! (R: Touch, D: Mom, T: Group), which triggers a group of enchanted devices with the same, fixed trigger (Base 5, +1 Touch, +2 Group).
The second lab text explains the lesser enchantment CrIg 30 Barrel (a brass wand with basalt inlay in its tip for just ArM5 p.140 Arc of Fiery Ribbons 24 times per day, and a trigger matching the one expected by Salvo! above). That lab text requires 3 pawns of Creo and/or Ignem vis per Wand.
Once a maga has enchanted ten such Barrel wands, she can tie them together into a nice bundle, and trigger that bundle with Salvo! once per round 24 times per day.

Real Flambeaus will of course have larger bundles, with infinite uses per day, more damage and Penetration in each Barrel.

For some reason, that bundle of Barrels will soon be called Flambeau MP (for Mitraillieuse Pernicieuse of course) in all sagas that have it.

Do you want that in your saga? Otherwise best keep away from the The Sunken Laboratory of Hermanus: its traps rely heavily on the p.107 guideline.

Yes. Let's take an example: You enchant a floor tile and set an environmental trigger "when someone steps on it". I'd allow a sneaking Tytalus to cast the illusion of a person and make it step on the tile (as long as illusion is also on touch sense) to trigger the trap.

No, it's a special case. For me, sense of time is not based on sight (or touch, or smell, etc.). Because permanent objects underground still work. An object with a environmental trigger based on celestial bodies cannot be deceived. Well, perhaps some breakthrough would allow a spell to deceive an object. But I wouldn't allow it without this breakthrough.

Well, since a moderately powerful magus can invent a group Pilum of Fire and master it for multiple casting and fast cast, I don't see any problem here.

If a player wants to do this, I won't try to prevent. However, I'll ask myself why he wants to do this. This won't help to solve much.

1 Like