Journey to Rome (Summer 1221)

No, in fact you have no idea what he means by the authorities, unless you have spent some time in the Roman Tribunal.

The Roman Tribunal decided that in order to have more universally usable commentaries to establish a set of 'authorities' on every art as well as magic theory, penetration, finesse, etc. A copy of these books is kept at Harco which any magus of the tribunal may sit and copy for 1 pawn of vis/season (or have a mundane scribe sit and copy), and when sold within the tribunal they may not have calf and cow attached. As such they are generally cheaper than other texts, more prevalent, and easier to have a market for commentaries since just about everyone has probably read them.

Of course selling them to covenants outside the tribunal they tend to go at the standard rates... usually via the redcap network.

Best I can manage is an Order of Hermes Lore check for that. Not sure what the target would be.

OoH Lore Check: 1D10+4 = [6]+4 = 10

How much time has Talus spent in the Roman Tribunal? It will affect his target number, ranging between 18 and 9...

Honestly, probably not much. He's probably been to the Roman Tribunal. But I doubt he's spent much time there. I'm betting the target number is higher than 10.

correct

"I must confess, however," Talus adds. "That I'm not entirely certain what you mean by authorities and secondary texts. What is the distinction between the two?"

"The authorities are the texts which are recognized, at least within the Roman Tribunal, as being the greatest authority, for the level of understanding they represent, on a given subject. The tribunal decided some time ago that having recognized authorities was simply a more efficient way to promote learning, especially when it comes to the trade in commentaries upon those authorities."

"Then by all means," Talus replies. "We'd almost certainly be interested in the authorities."

One of the magi pulls out a parchment "The official list is here, I don't believe there are any changes being recommended this Tribunal, but it is good to have on hand. Of course 4 of the roots are based on our lower authorities, we could sell you the set of those for a pawn, that would be Principles of Order, Wind and Weather, Rock dirt clay, and Basics of Power."

He lays the list in front of you "That is the arts list, I have the academics list in here somewhere..."

Creo
[tab][/tab]Fundamentals of Creation: Level 8 Quality:24
[tab][/tab]Principles of Growth: Level:11 Quality:19
[tab][/tab]From art to birth: a study of creative magics: Level 14 Quality:17
Intelligo
[tab][/tab]Fundamentals of Knowledge: Level 8 Quality:24
[tab][/tab]Forms of knowledge Level:12 Quality:20
[tab][/tab]Scientia et Sophia Level 15 Quality:16
Muto
[tab][/tab]Fundamentals of change: Level:7 Quality:25
[tab][/tab]The Constant of Change: Level:11 Quality:19
[tab][/tab]Variance and Theme: Level:14 Quality: 16
Perdo
[tab][/tab]Fundamentals of Destruction: Level:6 Quality:23
[tab][/tab]Study of decay: Level 10 Quality: 22
[tab][/tab]Ad Nihlim: Level:15 Quality:17
Rego
[tab][/tab]Principles of Order: Level 5 Quality:23 (Root)
[tab][/tab]Maintaining order: Level 8 Quality:24
[tab][/tab]Establishing order: Level 12 Quality: 19
[tab][/tab]Ruling Order: Level 15 Quality 17
Animal
[tab][/tab]A compendium of Animals: Level 7 Quality:25
[tab][/tab]Exotic animals: Level : 12 Quality: 19
[tab][/tab]Mythical Animals: Level:14 Quality: 17
Aquum
[tab][/tab]Water is everywhere: Level:8 Quality: 24
[tab][/tab]Qualities of Water: Level:13 Quality:18
[tab][/tab]Semi-liquid states: Level: 15 Quality: 15
Aurum
[tab][/tab]Wind and weather: Level: 5 quality:21 (root)
[tab][/tab]A Study of clouds: Level 7 quality: 24
[tab][/tab]Foul humors of the sky: Level:12 Quality:18
[tab][/tab]Seasons and the Sky: Level:14 Quality:17
Corpus
[tab][/tab]Our Bodies: Level: 8 quality: 23
[tab][/tab]Humors and Illness: Level:10 Quality: 22
[tab][/tab]Human Anatomy: Level:15 Quality:15
Herbem
[tab][/tab]The growth cycle of plants: Level 8 Quality:22
[tab][/tab]Trees, Bushes, Flowers, Grains, a catalogue of plant qualities: Level: 12 Quality: 19
[tab][/tab]Field and Wilderness: Level:15 Quality:16
Ignem
[tab][/tab]Essence of Fire: Level:8 Quality:23
[tab][/tab]Basic Pyromancy: Level:15 Quality:17
[tab][/tab]Beauty of flames: Level:19 Quality:13
Imagonem
[tab][/tab]Presentation and Perception: Level:7 Quality:25
[tab][/tab]Image and Ideal: Level: 10, Quality:20
[tab][/tab]Principles of Illusions: Level:12, Quality:20
[tab][/tab]Illusions and Glamour: Level 16, quality:15
Mentem
[tab][/tab]Thought puzzles: Level 8 quality:24
[tab][/tab]Sense and confusion: Level:10 Quality: 22
[tab][/tab]Duality and the mind: Level:12 Quality:18
[tab][/tab]Cognitive models of consciousness: Level:15 Quality:15
Terram
[tab][/tab]Rock, dirt, clay: Level 5, Quality 21 (Root)
[tab][/tab]The living rock: Level: 7 Quality: 23
[tab][/tab]Salt, stone, and Loam: Level 11 Quality:19
[tab][/tab]Structures of the Earth: Level:15 Quality: 17
Vim
[tab][/tab]Basics of Power: Level 6 Quality:21 (root)
[tab][/tab]Fundamentals of power: level:11 Quality: 20
[tab][/tab]Principles of Power: Level: 16 Quality:15

Talus scans the list and nods. Then he hands it over to Tartessos and Antonius to peruse.

"I think it's fair to say that we'd be interested in some of these books." he says. "I'll have to consult with my sodales to prioritize what we're interested in."

"No hurry, it isn't like I have these with me. There may be those at the Tribunals trading commentaries on these of course."

"We'll definitely want copies of the primary sources," Talus replies. "We'll have to see if anyone has copies available, or whether we'll have to arrange to have some copied."

"Very good. So what are your thought on Fredrick's court wizards? Have you come across any in Malta?"

"Nothing like that in Malta," Talus replies. "We'd have to have a court before we could have a court wizard. We barely have a functioning government where we are. I'm sure our count would love to have a 'court wizard.' But no one in our part of the world would want to jump into that mess."

Then he pauses and considers. "I heard about Frederick's court wizards when I was at Durenmar. I hadn't heard any evidence that they were in the Order, or even that they'd performed actual magic. Has there been any creditable evidence that they're for real?"

"They are not in the order, but they are for real. High end hedge wizards basically, but with joining the court they have political influence as well. What to do has become a bit of a controversy."

"I imagine so," Talus replies. "How active have they been in their wizardry?" Are they causing trouble for the Order by bringing magic out of the shadows and into the light, or are they maintaining a subtle hand?"

"There are always more than enough hedge wizards and charlatans trying to ply a trade to bring magic out of the shadows, though they are generally weak enough that many discount them, especially when you mix in the charlatans. The problem is that Fredrick seems to have a way of separating the wheat from the chaff as it were, so while court wizards elsewhere in Europe may offer barely usable astrological forecasts or some mild healing for sick children of nobility, his wizards seem significantly more on point. They seem to have sophisticated magic regarding plants, animals, and the four elements, as well as some divinatory abilities which under hermetic theory should be impossible. They also seem to be a major force in Fredricks rise to power."

"Has the Rhine Tribunal - or any other for that matter - taken a position on these court wizards?" Talus asks. "I know we're not supposed to meddle in mundane matters. But the waters get muddy when there are other wizards out there interfering first."

"Not yet, they seem to be centered in Palermo. It is set to be discussed at this tribunal, but honestly I expect it to be tabled or otherwise end inconclusively."

"That will definitely be something to keep an eye on," Talus replies. "Especially if they're so close. Has there been any indication what tradition they do follow? That would be interesting to know."