Judge an item

In my campaign the Verditius Mage (Pumilius) has been asked by the Tremere to produce a "Diadem of Regal Countenance". The specifications were that it must be

a) A diadem
2) Enable the wearer to cast Aura of Rightful Authority
iii) Whatever else the designer deems appropriate.

Payment to be 1.5 times the normal verditius rate.

With a successful intrigue roll the Venditore, Vincent (another player character) determined that the house was trying to get an insight into Pumilius, by allowing him such latitude.

This is what he has come up with:

Diadem of Regal Countenance

A simple, elegant circlet made of silver. It is unadorned with gems, and has delicate etchings and carvings all round that can’t quite be made out as anything specific (Verditius Runes).

Instilled Effects

3 pawns: Aura of Rightful Authority (ReMe30 Base 5, +1 Eye, +2 Sun, +10 Unlimited uses)

2 Pawns: Aura of Ennobled Presence (MuIm14 Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +4 Constant)

2 Pawns: Aura of Beguiling Appearance (MuIm14 Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +4 Constant)

2 Pawns: Aura of Childlike Innocence (MuIm14 Base 3, +1 Touch, +2 Sun, +4 Constant)

3 pawns: Deliver the Rousing Speech (CrMe30 Base 4, +2 Voice, +2 Sun, +2 Group, 1/Day)
(Once per day the wearer can deliver a rousing speech to a small group, instilling them with great enthusiasm and conviction to agree with the contents of the speech until the next sunrise/sunset)

Notes

Both the Aura of Rightful Authority effect and the Deliver the Rousing Speech effect have no penetration, so they will not work on anyone with magic resistance of any sort.

What conclusions do you think could be drawn from such an object? What further comissions might be made to further both House Tremere and discover if this asset is worth cultivating in more depth?

Bob

Just a quick observation: it makes no sense to me that the item should have all three MuIm "Aura" effects constantly on. Each changes the appearance of the wearer in a specific way, so at most one should be in effect at any given time. Personally, I'd just keep the Aura of Ennobled Presence one, which is more in line with the other powers.

5 Likes

Since it's Tremere magi (or one specific Tremere magus) making the guesses, I'm thinking they'll use these effect levels to construct a rough "Certamen Profile" of Pumilius.

Another item or two to broaden the Profile, then a commission for a high value enchantment at Pumilius's "edge of ability" (as estimated by the Tremere), followed by a challenge to Certamen for "double or nothing" on the price of the most valuable item upon delivery.

Thanks for that. I wasn't going to go for the Tremere shafting him for just one commission. They want to cultivate him for long term benefit. I was more wondering about the fact that he included no penetration and what conclusions they might draw from it.

Good point about the multiple auras up at once. I have asked for a redesign so they can be activated rather than permanently on.

Bob

Sorry. Guess I've played too many Tytali and Tremere, I just sort of fell right into character mid-post:)

If it was a decision of the Verditius to not include penetration I'd think that he does not endorse spells cast on magi, and might not be ok doing items that are obviously to be used against other magi. Or maybe he just doesn't want to give such power to Tremere. I'd try to discover what of these is true.

Pumilius also seems to assume that the item is meant to be used by a mundane (since Ennobled Presence, Beguiling Appearance and Childlike Innocence change the wearer's visage). Why does he thinks that? Is this the vision he has of this Tremere (they will empower one of their mundane agents) or of House Tremere? If this is a misconception of Pumilius, can it be used or manipulated in some way?

These are excellent points. Thank you.

Bob

1 Like
  1. This is a reasonable broadening of the item along a theme that seems implied by the originally requested effect, giving effective broadening without relying on high level effects that are overkill. So in that regard it seems competently designed aside from the "all MuIm all being constantly on" while having differing alterations etc.

2. As MuIm effects that affect the image/perception of the caster, those don't "need" Penetration to be effective though they might be inconvenient to "turn on" if activation requires suppressing the Parma for a Magus.

3. There does therefore seem to be an assumption that the item is intended to empower a retainer of rank that is used to conduct social activities/operations and to lead subordinate turb. This could either be seen as a perception of the Tremere themselves or, and this seems more likely, as an extension of the mindset of a Verditius and how they themselves frequently work through retainers like Venditores etc.

4. This would generally incline me to think the designer has a penchant for more subtle magics, Mentem and Imaginem being the only included effects along the theme. Some people are simply not prone to solving problems that way and this makes them someone I "might" test the waters with regarding effects of a likewise delicate or sensitive nature. After trust was established.

2 Likes