Julien ex Criamon

Stress die means exploding die but zeros are zeroes with no botch ( i.e. you can not botch an aging roll).

I think those are for if you have a LR. If he does not have an LR, ignore those results.

Look at Clement's thread as I built him out every 10 years with 10 years of aging rolls per build.

So I have to explode that 1 on that stress die, even though there's no chance at botching would I have rolled a 0?

Yes. Rolling high here is not good.
It's inverse of what you want to do in other places in Ars.

Exploded Die: 3, doubled is 6, plus 2 is 8. So nothing changes. Phew!

The one also counts so it is 1 + exploder (3*2) + 3 ( age rounded up) = 10

Clement had one of these with a +14 LR lost a quickness in his 1st 5 years of LR

Where do you see that? I see Stress Die+ Age. A 1 explodes, so it doubles the next result.

Is that really the case? And if you roll subsequent 1s, do the double, triple, etc. values add too?

In other words, if I roll: 1, 1, 1, 1, 4 on five consecutive rolls, is my result: 1 + 21 + 31 + 41 + 54 = 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 20 = 30?

That doesn't seem to be what the rules imply.

Must be my 3rd edition memory

And jebrick, it's +2, not +3. Age/10 rounded up is 4, but I subtract the living condition modifier of 2 from that, making the final modifier 2. So even if I have to add the 1 from the initial die roll, it's still a 9, which is the same as rolling an 8.

So, as it turns out, there is no initiation script for Mathematikoi (4th degree). It's simply adhering to the stuff I mentioned earlier, as well as giving up 15 seasons for teaching an apprentice (or multiple apprentices). Which is fine by me; I will end up rolling 4 aging checks (38, 39, 40, 41).

I do, however, have one question on this advancement. Although I am using the 15 seasons to teach apprentices, do I have to give up the XP I would have earned during that time doing so? There aren't any script time requirements, but I can see this as being the equivalent of doing research in the library or in the lab, and therefore giving up the XP as I'm focused on someone else and not myself.

Can I get a ruling on that Jonathan?

For every season of teaching (which is 15 seasons over 15 years) you have to give up 10 xp.

If you're going to take an apprentice at this point you should consider some other things that can take advantage of an apprentice, such as making items. I can give you numbers for his assistance in the lab based on his age, and how long he's been an apprentice.

Yeah, I read the book and went 15 seasons, forgetting that an apprenticeship is 15 years long. Which would equate to 1 season per year for 15 years.

Hmm. I'm not sure if I want to continue pursuing this at this time. I mean, I could technically be considered as trying to make the next degree (Mathematikoi) by being at the school and teaching the kids now. The tenets of Mathematikoi state that we should teach as many students as possible, but it also states that I must dwell with members of the fraternity at all times. That is, someone else in the school would have to be a member in order for myself to get indoctrinated.

This is a sticky one. Do I roll 15 aging rolls and go through the process of initiation at this point (pushing myself to the ripe old age of 56 in the process), or do I treat this as part of the indoctrination and start teaching now so that in 15 years I can become Mathematikoi?

Let me marinate on that for a day or so.

My recommendation is to come in as complete as possible. The game is about the apprentices and your teacher will not have many, if any free seasons.

I agree with you on this point. But if the teacher comes in as complete as possible, then there's really no room for him to grow, is there? I mean, I want him to be a fantastic teacher and know everything there is to know about hermetic mathematics, but if there's nothing left for him to learn once I'm finished creating him, then is there going to be any fun in playing him?