Lab Assistants for Longevity Rituals?

Hi,

I think that gets fuzzy.

For example, I think that some Ex Misc and Bonisagus types have Faerie Magic (for the same reason I think that the last remnants of Diedne in the Order are Bonisagi, not Ex Misc; of course, I primarily place my Diedne in the Church, because it's not only a safe place, where better to burn people in public?) I think that Merinitas do greatly prefer that initiates into FM join the house, yet suspect that they don't WW the few magi who don't. Probably, the magi who are serious about pursuing inner mysteries do join. Why not?

But then, I tend to see virtues as building blocks, flexible on the fluff. So a character designed around "natural philosophy influences his magic, so he has Magic Foci to leverage natural occult properties, and Charm Magic to leverage existing associations" works fine for me, even if the character is neither a crafter or Merinita. I do see Bjornaer and especially Verditius and Criamon magic as bound up with their houses, yet a character "we also have Heartbeasts, and my lineage is one of the secret enemies of House Bjornaer" works for me. And maybe not even the Criamon, who do find common ground with other traditions, even bringing them into the House "we have been trapped in the cycle of time and the murk of the material world by the Demiurge and his legion of angels and demons--one and the same--and only the Truth shall set us free; perhaps your Enigma is part of or even the same as the Truth we seek."

Anyway,

Ken

Definitely agree that such virtues exist outside their parent houses. Probably agree that the Merinita mystery is more common outside the house than other mysteries. I just can't imagine many Merinita would willfully initiate someone into their mystery if that person had no intention whatsoever of joining.

Now, there probably are some people out there who would, but much like there are some magi who are diabolists, magi who dabble in vampirism and magi who do all manner of exotic and uncommon things, it doesn't mean there have to be many and finding such a person is very hard. With a suitable back story though, players can have these opportunities or even take them at character creation but they should be deeply woven into the story rather than just handed out like soup in a homless shelter. IIRC there is someone thus initiated in the GotF supplement. Of course, those magi probably have a very personal reasons for doing it on that one instance. I don't see a reason that particular Merinita is in the business of handing it out to anyone that cares to learn.

As to the initiation script that reads 'get one warping point etc' it strikes me as very unlikely to succeed anyway, unless of course you have a natural talent for high numbers with dice.

Between two players though - do what you like of course.

Well, what does it mean to join their House? I know what it means to join the other Mystery Houses, but I have no feeling for what House Merinita demands. Canon seem to suggest that "Yah, I'm a member" is enough. There's nothing like the Contest, or Septs, for example. As to the Initiation Script, I'm sure there's more then "get one Faerie Warping Point", but that's all that's mentioned in canon. I assume that the "real" Script is closer to "Get one Faerie Warping Point, Teacher spends a Season teaching the Student, who spends a Season Learning from the Teacher, and gifts the Teacher.". Not much of a sacrifice to my mind, compared to the other Mystery Houses, which is why I called it "easy".

I would suggest that in order to join their house you have to leave your old one. That might not be something you want to do. Turn your back on your friends and allies.

Formally yes. My point is, in canon, the House doesn't seem to care much or require any proof. There's certainly nothing in the way of sacrifice or binding Oaths. It just seems to me that you can get away with saying "I'm a member of House Merinita" but not, you know, actually change where you live or who you hang out with. It could be an issue in a campaign that is focused on House politics, but not one where the focus is on the Covenant. I'm thinking that if you are worried about a lab issue like this one, it's a campaign based on the Covenant. Can't see a player able to burn 5 - 10 years on a lab project in a political campaign. So, allowed by canon and the rules, depending on the campaign. I can certainly live with that.

My interpretation has always been a failed apprentice might or might not have the gift. If he does he can serve as a lab assistant if he doesn’t he can’t. I’ve always felt that in the RAW the Failed Apprentice virtue was poorly worded, but that is what it was trying to say. My justification is that apprentice is social virtue not a magical one and I just don‘t see a minor social virtue by itself creating a major exception to the game cosmology. Also if they are required to have the gift to serve as a lab assistant that means that any such character would be a by necessity a companion and couldn’t be a grog and that’s defiantly what I want in my games.