Letters, we got your letters

Arriving in early Spring of 1222.

To Murion, Most Esteemed Primus of the House of the Order's Founder,

I thank you most sincerely and humbly for your gracious recognition of my services to you and your party. The honour of serving, while surprising in its presentation, was an endeavor I shall always be proud of. I hope that I may help again at some future time. That you asked for me in the first place is an even more pleasant surprise, and for you to tell me so I thank thee again, most sincerely.

The reward to study at the Halls of Durenmar is an honor I could only scarce imagine! Rest assured I or someone I appoint shall make the most of this gracious reward. We shall send word ahead of time for the visit and bring proper compensation for this generous honour.

I thank thee once again for the chance to serve and your most gracious reward.

Very truly yours,
Alexei Von Kroitsau ex Flambeau, Member in good standing of the Milites

(Spring, 1222)

Dear Atlas:

I was delighted to receive you letter recently, and even more delighted when I was able to get it mostly translated. (Unfortunately, I do not speak Greek, as it is not emphasized as it should be on this side of the world). I am still unable to decipher what you wrote regarding the interaction of Terram and Herbam, which is regrettable as Herbam is one of my main interests.

I do plan on learning Greek when time permits; however, our covenant has been selected to host the Tribunal in four years or so. Perhaps sometime, if the Fates allow, we can meet to discuss things in person.

((insert technobabble about Herbam and herbalism, and some stuff about how, or whether, Muto can affect both Corpus and Animal simultaneously.))

I do not know how things go for our kind (by which I mean giant-blood, although I have had a smidgeon of experience with lycanthropy) in the Theban Tribunal, but I have dealt with prejudice (mainly from humans, but my giant kin are not immune) my entire life, in Loch Leglean, Hibernia, and Normandy. Even more surprising is that my sodales in the Order, who are supposed to be more educated than the common man, fall prey to such things.

I hope that my ignorance of the Greek language does not deter you from continuing our correspondence, as I feel that it will be mutually beneficial and productive for us both. I eagerly await your reply.

Yours in service,
Fiona ex Miscellanea, Daughter of Circe.

(A letter to Angus MacOssian, sent in late Winter/early Spring, 1221-2, written in Gaelic)

Dear cousin:

I hope that you are by now fully recovered from what happened this past summer. I also hope that Clan MacOssian and the other giants were able to come to an accord so that this type of thing doesn't happen again any time soon – the next time I see you and your family, I would like everyone to be hale and healthy.

I apologize for not taking the time to look deeper into what happened at the time, but as you may recall, I was beset on all sides by a cacophony of problems of my own that barely got resolved before I had to return to my new home.

I received an interesting letter from the woman who taught me magic when I returned to Normandy. In it, she mentioned some new clans of giants who had made their way into Scotland and Ireland. She said that the invaders were bigger and smarter than the ones she had dealt with in the past, and that they may have been taught magic themselves. Have you heard anything about these giants? And could they have been involved in your attack a few months ago?

I am making slow progress in bridging the gap between humans and giants, and I was rudely shown how wide that chasm is upon my arrival here – one of my new companions, when he first saw me, voiced a very offensive stereotype of our kind, and if I were of a more volatile bent I would have taken him to task for it. I have since learned, though, that he is something of a braggart with a tendency to speak before he thinks. That does not forgive him his slight, though.

I have also started seeking out other wizards who are either Giant or Giant-blood to speak with. My goal is to get as much insight as I can into what we see, and how to deal with the various problems we face from our human brethren. I would very much like to arrange a conclave so that we may discuss these things in person, but that may be several years off.

I hear one of my fellow wizards calling for me, so I must end this letter. Give my regards to your family and the rest of the clan, and I will try to return to visit sometime in the next couple of years.

Deredere, known as Fiona amongst the humans

((letter dated mid-Spring, 1222))

Unto my sodales in the covenant of Insula Canaria (and in particular, Drystan ex Merinita, Ion Bjornaer, and Doineann ex Miscellanea), greetings!

My apologies for not sending each of you individual letters, but after the events of this past summer, I was uncertain as to whether each of you would be able (or willing) to remain. Nor have I heard anything from you as to whether your preference is to try to resuscitate the covenant where we have spent so much of our lives, or to let it fade into the sands of history.

I have not had a chance to inquire as to what happened at the Tribunal meeting from last summer, either. Would I be correct in assuming that young Duncan was cast out? And if so, has anyone been able to successfully March him, or is he still on the loose?

And in a possibly related vein – I received a letter from my mater shortly after my return from Scotland. She expressed concern about a new clan of giants moving into the area that she believes may have had Parma or something similar to enhance their resistance to magic. Have you heard anything about them, or possibly encountered them yourselves?

I have not yet found anyone who is looking to relocate to Loch Leglean, but I am keeping my eyes and ears open. If there is anything I can do to help in rebuilding the covenant, feel free to let me know.

Yours,

Fiona ex Miscellanea

((Letter dated late summer 1222))

Primus,

I hope you and Maria are doing well and Harco can begin to recover from the attack. I hope to be of some assistance in rebulding the House. I realize we will have to walk a fine line with our dealings for the moment. We will need to sort out who is in league with Guernicus within our own house. But we must also seek to strengthen our House so it is not so weak to respond future crisis again. I know there is no easy or short way of doing this but I feel we must try.

With that in mind, I would like to discuss a possible problem in Iberia that may require some intervention. While I traveled to Phoenix to collect my apprentice, I heard tell of three of my Gifted peers fighting amongst themselves using our ungifted Brothers and Sisters as prizes and soldiers. I speak of Lycurgus, Plutarchus and Azura. While I realize that you let the Gifted member of the House handle there own affairs, I think that it might be in the best interests of the House that we intervene. If we are going to start to unite the House then it must begin at some point. Please feel free to use me as an agent of this change if you decide that it is warranted.

I would also like to ask a second and much less weighty favor. My sodales and myself have found that we are lacking in knowledge of the Ancient Greek language. Being for correspondence or translating a rare book. I would like to know if you know a scholar in Mercere House, that is perhaps near retirement, that could come and teach Abagail and other members of Mons Electi?

Your servant
Korvin ex Mercere

(Sent immediately after the council meeting in "Getting the Band Back Together")

Mons Electi, Gallia Transalpina

To: Aristarchus filius Proctor scholae Guernicus
Confluensis, Gallia Transalpina

Dearest Aristarchus,

I apologise for not writing to you sooner, after the last time we saw each other. I simply felt awkward and did not know what to say. I don't know where else to turn now. Would you meet with me soon? Please? I am so confused, and I don't know what to do.

~L.

((Sent pending on getting a united front from Jacques and Isen, need to hear from you guys!))

Dear Lucius,

It is with heavy heart that I take this pen in hand and write these words. Indeed, it almost feels that I am drawing the ink from my own veins and writing in blood, so painful this is.

Garus, our Primus is dead, killed by vile assassination. Garus and I spoke and wrote often, I compelled more than a small amount of support for him and his cause; the Milites. I am and always will be a great admirer of his and should count myself blessed if I live to be half the man he was. To hear of his death in this fashion fills me with a rage that I can barely contain. I want to drink hot blood until my belly bursts from it, I'd tear down city walls if they housed the assassin!

But, that is not the right course of action, not for the Milites, not for a Christian magus like our Founder, who gentled his ways in his last years. No, the right application of force in the right direction must be applied. The rage I feel is no doubt felt by many others in our House and without swift action they might bring the rest of us to shame and degradation. The Schism War purged our ranks of our worst excesses, we have become better since then, we do not need such a repeat now though.

I write to you to urge you to take control of our House, lead it and the Milites. A fire can be man's greatest tool but worst enemy if control is lost. Right now our control is lost and we need a guiding hand, cool temperament, and firm leadership to bring it back. Let our fire be the clarity and usefulness of the forge fire, rather than the out of control destruction of a House fire. Once you are in control we can then direct our efforts to bringing justice to our slain Primus, then we can show that no one may strike us with impunity, but all can rely on us for our resolute vigilance.

In addition to my support you may also count on Isen of the Milites and Jacques, our brother in Flambeau. We will lend whatever support we may to get you into your rightful position. Action must be swift, but first we must have a pilot lest we steer our ship onto the rocks.

May this letter find you well, please tell us what we might do to aid you in this endeavor.

Very Truly Yours,
Alexei Von Kroitsau
Milites, House Flambeau

(to be sent a couple of days after her return from Magic)

To Tria ex Bonisagus
From Fiona ex Miscellanea, Daughter of Circe

Dear Tria,

The next time you are in the vicinity, we would very much like to discuss the future of Ulrich regarding his fosterage at Mons Electi.

Warmest regards,

Fiona filia Marós Ex Miscellanea Kore tes Kirkes ab Mons Electi

(edited to patch a hole in the space-time continuum.)

Dear Alexei,

Thank you for your kind words of support. We will be having a tournament to coincide with the vernal Equinox. I will count on your support and any you can muster. I would ask that you visit magi of the Rhine Tribunal, as the Normandy Tribunal is already well covered. Carmine has the Tribunal of the Greater Alps and the Northern part of the Roman Tribunal covered.

Warm regards,
Lucius of Flambeau

Confluensis, Gallia Transalpina

To: Laetitia filia Iudicium scholae Guernicus
Mons Electi, Gallia Transalpina

Dearest Laetitia,

Why so formal? I'm so relieved to hear from you that you weren't hurt in the horrific attack on our Domus Magnae. I'd heard that you might have been at Magvillus, and I know that several of our sodales were lost. Have you heard, we've declared the perpetrator of the attack Orbus, and he is missing.

Tell me when and where we shall meet again.
-A.

((This letter arrives while Laetitia is away with Fiona.))

Dear Lucius,

I am glad to see my letter is well received, and equally glad to see your intentions match my own. The Rhine is familiar territory to me of course and glad will I be to return to it. I have more news still, Isen and young Jacques who dwell here with me are equally resolved. We shall plan soon on our tour of the Rhine.

Be careful Lucius there is likely more to this than either of us realize, we of course do not want anything to happen to you.

In Loyalty and Faith,
Alexei Von Kroitsau

Whenever Laetitia receives Aristarchus' letter, she'll send a quick reply:
Same place as last time; please come to me whenever you can. ~L

She has an antechamber that is private, but not covered by her sanctum marker.

Letter returned mid-summer of 1222

Dear Fiona,
It is good of you to write us! We have managed to find several prospective members. One is a young Bjornaer maga recently appointed to be a Quaesitor, something quite unusual, given her youth. We also have a Verditius who seems a bit absent-minded, but is otherwise a quite friendly fellow. There's a Pralician, but he's rather quite. Lastly there is a Tytalus maga name of Talia who, on the night of the first council meeting, attempted to seduce all of the male covenfolk with some warm hands parlor trick. I'm told she had a few takers in rapid succession. She wants to build a shipyard at the southern end of the Loch. Can you believe that?

As to the other matter you asked about, we're not currently allowed to discuss it, at least until the matter is resolved.

Please keep in touch!
Drystan

Deredere,

We are well. As to the giants your mistress encountered, I'm unsure. Something is going on. At first I thought it was that diabolical Duncan you told us about. Now, I'm not so sure. I can say we have had a lick of trouble since you've come and gone. I do hope you can visit us sometime soon under less dire conditions.

Angus MacOssian

Note, this is written in his own hand

To: Inigo Elazar Of Flambeau, Iberia Tribunal

Sodales,

Pardon me if I detract from our usual correspondence, but I must entreat you of a pressing matter.
As you may very well know, our primus is dead, and the time approaches where we will need to elect another one.
I know you to be a man of courage and honor, one I have long respected the views, one that also has the ear of Archmagus Antonio Perez.

I won't lie to you: It is this similarity of viewpoints, but also your political influence, that prompts me to write to you today. You may not know Lucius, who is in line for the succession, and, if you don't, I urge you to look at him and, if you like what you see (something I don't doubt), to vote for him, and use your influence to help him get elected.
He is everything a Flambeau Primus should be, and wholeheartedly supports the Milites, something which I feel should be strongly encouraged, and would keep us on the path Garus pioneered. Without him, I fear this proud tradition might fell somehow in disregard, which would be a great loss to our house and the order.

Your friend,

Isen Flambonis

Tristan ex Flambeau

My Master, I have not written to you in a long time and indeed much has happened since last we spoke. I am growing as a warrior and even still as a man, but there are burdens I never wished to shoulder. The burden of seeing a good friend die, with Apollodorus, the burden of leadership in mundane and day-to-day affairs that I am unsuited for, the burden of choking back my rage when all I wish to do is lay into my enemies and destroy them utterly.

As I'm sure you know, Garus our Primus is slain and we now need to choose our next Primus. I am not certain who you have in mind Pater, but I would ask that you consider Lucius. He is a stalwart member of the Milites, and ever a supporter of Garus's vision. I believe it was Garus's vision and drive that made him a target, wheich means those qualities are what we need more than ever.

If you tell me though master that you wish to be Primus, you can expect my vote and support of course. I would hate to presume that you do not want this great honour, though you never spoke to me of it. If that is not the case though, I entreat you to lend your support to the honourable Lucius and influence those among our House you can. I believe our House will be sorely tested soon and we need discipline and unity to match our spirit and fire.

Thank you my Master for all that you have taught me, may this letter find you well.

Very truly yours and ever your loyal Filius,
Alexei Von Kroitsau

To William Du Soleil ex Flambeau,

Dear William, perhaps you remember meeting me at the tourney in the Rhine? You had with your apprentice who you claimed was from a giant's land, and was but a girl but already taller than most men. She made quite an impression, I hope she has brought success to your name and claims, I as well hope that your ambitions to become an Archmagus are proceeding.

You have ever impressed all in our House with your claims, many questioning their veracity, but you nearly always provided proof enough to some. I am one of those that you have proven your worth to. Your voice is what I seek now to harness for the good of the House. As you know, Garus has been slain, our House is without a leader. And while we are often accused of having too many generals and not enough soldiers, we still did have a general, a leader in Garus. His vision, his drive is what lead to his death, of that I am sure. That tells me that some powerful forces thought those qualities were a threat. If that be the case we must double our efforts to bring those qualities back, for surely they will serve us well and help us to destroy our enemies, the Order's enemies.

I feel that we should back Lucius as our new Primus. He posseses those qualities that were feared in Garus. He desires a unified and powerful House. One Flambeau is dangerous, a House full and unified of purpose is unstoppable. Will you spit in the enemy's eye and help me elect Lucius? I hope he can count on both your vote and your support.

May this letter find you well and I hope to see you at the next meeting and celebrate Lucius's victory.

Very Truly Yours,
Alexei Von Kroitsau

((For some reason I couldn't see this letter in front of my face, and so it took me a while to craft a response, such that it is.))
This letter goes unanswered...

(Several copies are sent to newly gauntleted Flambeau in the Rhine)

Dear ______,

I am Alexei Von Kroitsau, member of the Milites and champion of the Joust in Normandy. I shall be journeying through the glorious Rhine shortly, and intend to stop at your covenant for a brief visit. I do hope this will not inconvenience you, and that you'll receive me well. Please extend me the courtesy I recently showed Murion, the Primus of House Bonisagus, as I acted as her Hoplite and host on her travels to Normandy.

During my time we shall talk of many things, your goals and desires in the House, your ambitions, and how you might achieve them. We can talk of your entry to the Milites should you desire it. Most importantly, we shall discuss the future of the House, which you have a part in. Garus, our Primus is slain. He was a friend and mentor to me, a great leader of our House. It is a tragedy his death and treacherous murder. We must now look to a new leader. We shall discuss this on our visit. I want you to seriously consider Lucius to be our next Primus. To me, he is the obvious choice. I will hear who you favor during my stay, and how you might contribute to the future glories of our House.

I look forward to our visit, and will send another missive to announce my pending arrival. Please send me any correspondences regarding this, especially if there is a reason you decide not to receive me. This is not an opportunity that you should miss, and if you cannot receive me, I would know why.

Very Truly Yours,
Alexei Von Kroitsau ex Flambeau, Milites.

To Sandra Flambonis, Clair de Lune Covenant, Provencal Tribunal

Salve Sodales

You may remind me, from the time where I sought brother spirits with whom to share conversations about magic. As you may remember, your advice was previous, and, then again, I thank you for it.

But this is not the subject of my letter. Rather, I wish to speak to you about our house. As you probably already knows, Garus, our primus, is dead, killed by treacherous dogs that sought to decapitate our house before it could rise to new heights, to kill the proud order of the Milites before it becomes the powerful force for justice it is meant to be.
We mustn't let them succeed, and, to that end, we need to elect a new primus as soon as possible, one that shares Garus passion and vision, one who will urge the Flambeau to become once again the main force of the order, like it was at the time of the founding, but with the wisdom that our founder and our house learned with time. I know such a man, and you do, too. His name is Lucius, and I have full confidence in him. I urge you to vote for him, for our house, for Garus vision. This is what our ennemies sought to kill, and this is what we must keep alive.

Your amicus,

Isen Flambonis