Repeated from the interest thread:
[size=150]Magi Character Creation[/size]
Characters are granted a slight increase in overall experience points for creation and development. This is due to an expectation to have scores in a diversity of minor abilities (such as Area Lore, Order of Hermes Lore, Profession-Scribe, etc.). It also takes into consideration the high demands of the saga, and encourages you to play with power.
[size=130]Early Childhood (Representing the first five years of life)[/size]
Begin with (Native Language) 5, (Native Area Lore) 2, and 45xp for Childhood Abilities
[size=130]Youth & Later Life[/size]
From age six onward (until apprenticeship), you gain 20xp per year. If you are Wealthy you gain 25xp per year, and if you are poor you gain only 15xp per year. Magi and certain other characters cannot choose Wealthy or Poor. If applicable, they may choose Privileged Upbringing instead to represent their past.
[size=130]Apprenticeship (magi only)[/size]
Apprenticeship usually begins between age 7 and 21 (10 to 15 is the more frequent range), and lasts 15 years. During this time, you receive 300xp for Arts and Abilities, plus 150 levels of spells. You should spend no more than half your xp on Arts, and should not have any Art score greater than 10. Your spells may come from the main rulebook or elsewhere in canon, but at gauntlet many of these may also be original or unique spells, invented or obtained by your parens, which they have passed on to you. Newly gauntleted magi may not begin with spells above the seventh magnitude.
Mandatory Minimum Ability scores new magus are: Artes Liberales 1, Latin 4, Magic Theory 1, Profession-Scribe 1, & Parma Magica 1.
Suggested minimum scores, however, are: Magic Theory 3, Magic Lore 1, Order of Hermes Lore 1, Parma Magica 1, & Philosophiae 1.
Advance in four cycles of seven years each. Each cycle you must spend at least 7 seasons studying/learning and at least 7 seasons doing lab/exposure work. The other 14 are up to you. However, you may have no more than five seasons of adventure. You can assume an Aura of +7
- Train any General, Academic or Martial skill at SQ14, up to level 6.
- Pay 3 vis for SQ15 teaching in any Art
- Pay 2 MP for SQ15 teaching in any Ability, up to level 8 in any Academic/General/Martial Ability and up to level 6 in any Arcane Ability.
- Read from the Library
- Set up/improve a lab/workshop
- Refine a lab
- Conduct a laboratory activity
- Teach or train a companion/grog
- Conduct Covenant service, receiving 3 vis and 2 MP as wages.
- Any other normal Exposure activity
- Have an adventure
You can advance with a library having the following summae (distributed how you like).
Arts: one 24/11, one 20/11, one 18/13, five 16/15, four 12/17, three 10/19, ten 6/21
Abilities: one 8/11, three 6/17, three 5/20, seven 4/18
No summae on supernatural Abilities.
You can have the following tractatus (also distributed how you like):
seven Q13, ten Q12, ten Q11, ten Q10, ten Q9
Try and split these up so that you don't have them all in the first cycle. Remember, this is meant to be what is accumulated by a covenant over six cycles.
As per usual, it takes two seasons to fully set up your lab. You may take any free Virtues/Flaws that are appropriate to your starting lab (e.g., dedicated building, elevated, etc.).
Labs start out at Size 0, but can be made bigger with a season or more of skilled work.
You can start off with Superior Equipment and/or Superior Tools. (But keep in mind, the covenant will only pay £3/year upkeep for the lab).
I'll allow adventures. No more than 5 adventures per cycle. Adventures can achieve the following:
[tableborder][tr][th][left]Adventure[/left][/th] [th][left]Reward[/left][/th] [th][left]Allowable Frequency[/left][/th][/tr]
[tr][td]Vis find[/td] [td]5 Fo vis (or equivalent) and 7 xp[/td] [td]Twice per cycle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Treasure[/td] [td]10 MP and 7 xp[/td] [td]Twice per cycle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Learn something[/td] [td]12 xp[/td] [td]Twice per cycle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Meet friend[/td] [td]Gain Correspondence and 7 xp[/td] [td]Twice per cycle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Information[/td] [td]Gain a Quality 12 Tractatus on any subject and 7 xp[/td] [td]Once per cycle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Resources[/td] [td]Gain 10 BP toward a future covenant and 7 xp[/td] [td]Once per cycle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Longevity Ritual[/td] [td]Gain access to a 'premium' LR and 7 xp[/td] [td]Once per cycle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Quest[/td] [td]Perform a quest required for initiation and 7 xp[/td] [td]Once per cycle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Initiation[/td] [td]Initiate in a mystery[/td] [td]Once per cycle[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Transformation[/td] [td]5 transformational vis[/td] [td]Three times total[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Apprentice[/td] [td]Find a suitable apprentice and 10 xp[/td] [td]Twice total[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Talisman[/td] [td]Find expensive or rare materials for a talisman and 7 xp[/td] [td]Once total[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Familiar[/td] [td]Find a suitable familiar (Might 15, Summer) and 7 xp[/td] [td]Once total[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Mystagogue[/td] [td]Promote a Correspondence to a Mystagogue and 7 xp[/td] [td]Once total[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]Challenge Archmage[/td] [td]Gain title "archmage" and 7 xp[/td] [td]Once total (in sixth cycle)[/td][/tr][/tableborder]
Everyone will get 4 Fo vis (or some equivalent combo of Te/Fo vis) each year and 3 MP. Lab expenses of up to 3 MP/year will be paid by the covenant.
A personal vis source will give either 2 Te or 4 Fo vis per year.
Everyone will also get two seasons of skilled labor at a skill+attribute of (Cycle + 10).
- A Lesser Virtue in the lab takes one season of a skilled craftsman to make
- A Greater Virtue in the lab takes two seasons of a skilled craftsman to make
A mystagogue obtained by upgrading a correspondence will have a Pre+ML of 9.
A minor Virtue can be obtained by spending a season questing and a season initiating (2 seasons total)
Everyone must spend one exposure season each cycle in covenant service.
Anyone can find a Might 15 Summer familiar by spending one adventuring season looking.
A familiar can study/gain exposure along with the master and takes no Might penalty for that season.
For any season not spent with the master, familiars will be abstracted as getting 5 xp/season.
In most cases it will take one of your seasons of grog's work to get the physical device made.
If you want an expensive material in your talisman, you need to either pay for it with cash (we'll have to figure out what a reasonable cost is), or spend a season adventuring.
One season adventuring will get all the components you need for your talisman.
Everyone can take 6 points of Reputations to indicate how they have become known in the Order. These can be distributed how the magus wants (three +2, a +5 and a +1, etc.)
If a player opts to play a nonGifted Redcap as their magus character, the following special rules apply:
- No covenant service is required. Redcap duties cover that.
- The Redcap may be a Heroic character.
- seven seasons of adventure are allowed to account for the Redcap being out and about more.
- The character may purchase vis at 1 vis/15 MP.
- They may purchase MP at 10 MP/1 vis.
- They may trade vis at standard Mercere rates
- The character may purchase a “standard” Longevity Ritual at 2 Vis and 1 MP per +1, up to +12. This also uses one exposure season.
- The character may purchase a “premium” Longevity Ritual at 3 vis and 2 MP per +1, up to +20. This also uses one adventure and one exposure season (gain xp as normal).
- The character may purchase at tribunal magic items at Verditius rates, i.e. 3 vis per ten levels (round levels up to the nearest ten). Maximum level for lesser enchanted items is 45.
- The character may purchase books at the standard prices listed in Covenants.
- Everyone will start with one correspondence on any subject with their parens.
- Carry the fractions when dealing with Affinities.