Magi that don't live in covenants

I remember seeing a term in some suppliment that gave a name to magi who don't live in covenants. I suspected it was in Covenants itself, but I can't find it.

Does anyone know off hand what it is?

I don't know if it is what are seeking for, but the Rhine Tribunal has this tradition of peregrinatores, traveling mages who do not swear to any single convenant, but get hospitality from several. The relevant info may be found at p. 20 of GotF. Great backgorund idea, BTW, I've adopted it for my character.

The other term I've seen used is eremite, which is the term for hermit monks.

That might be it.

Hermit appears in several parts of the source material. 4th edition or earlier IIRC; though. Still applicable IMO :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Xavi

What is an aonaran?

The Loch Leglean (sp?) tribunal book used that term to describe magi that are not attached to a covenant.

Matt

Peregrinator? (sp?)

Iirc, that was from the Rhine (GotF?), in reference to a mandate for Covenants to provide "rental space" for wandering magi, since the Tribunal was so over-crowded, but I could easily be misremembering those details.

Aoranan is the Gaelic/Scottish equivalent of "Hermit" in English :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Xavi

Perhaps you mean Eremite, which is kind of a "hermit" - magi who live alone, not as part of a covenant.

There's a long (in-line) tradition of such magi. They are mentioned in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th edition material; as pointed out in earlier posts here in GotF the peregrinatores (wanderers) are definitely found in the Rhine Tribunal. There may be notes in L&L, but I forget for the moment. Certainly traditionally the Roman Tribunal is pretty heavy in such magi, although that may alter under this edition.

L & L calls them eremites, ans states that they have a higher social standing in the Normandy Tribunal than Coenobites, who are basically covenants that failed to get recognized officially by the Tribunal.

Eremites are not peregrinatores, tho' they could be. But the terms refer to different characteristics of magi.

The one are solitary, the other simply transient.

Lion of the North talked about it I think.