Magically removing the need to sleep

Infernal cursing has fatigue drain doesn't it? ;p

Winner!! Winner!! Chicken dinner!!

This is where I would put it as well. Of course if you became less human you might need less sleep.

I don't think that's there's anything wrong with a character spending time inventing a spell like this to get a bonus to Lab Totals. It seems like an appropriate sort of thing for magi to invent.

I think that I would just make it either +1 or +3 to the Lab Total for the season, and specify that the spell has to be used continuously for the whole season in order to count (rather than muck about with breaking the season down into months).

And remember, of course, that if the spell is used for two seasons (in a year) then the character should take Warping Points for the year, due to being under a continuous effect.

I don't think that's there's anything wrong with a character spending time inventing a spell like this to get a bonus to Lab Totals. It seems like an appropriate sort of thing for magi to invent.

I think that I would just make it either +1 or +3 to the Lab Total for the season, and specify that the spell has to be used continuously for the whole season in order to count (rather than muck about with breaking the season down into months).

And remember, of course, that if the spell is used for two seasons (in a year) then the character should take Warping Points for the year, due to being under a continuous effect.

Agreed. Although I find such a spell to be a real pain in the ass. Who'd want to spent days AND nights working on something? Even if it is interesting, this is truly obsessive and frightening, IMO.

Some magi are truely obsessive and frightening people :slight_smile:

3rd edition had the virtue "needs no sleep" , character got an additional season of labwork or similiar stuff that had to be compatible with the stuff he was doing during his "normal" season. So, working in the lab by day and creating items, researching spells, etc. and reading books by night was okay, reading one book each season by day and another one by night over the course of the year wasn´t. (I guess you could circumvent a part of the restrictions by also taking the "night reader" virtue I saw somewhere)
Of course our Storyteller only had a (very) faint grasp on the English language and no access to 3rd edition rulebook (we were playing 4th ed) and the munchkin talked him into allowing the virtue without any restrictions and 4 extra-seasons.
Exhaustion was handled the usual way with the character becoming paralysed or unconscious if too exhausted.

I like the lucid dreaming spell. It does raise a question for me...

Say I am a lazy magus and only want to cast it once a season. My understanding is that non-standard ranges, durations, or targets can be specified for formulaic spells. How does my magus create the spell with a duration of "Season"? Would I do that through Experimentation? If so, do I need to roll a 10 on the results chart, and only a 10, for the spell to be created?

Take the year spell cost magnitude (+4) but non ritual. It would be ok IMO

Right. I figured the "cost" would the same as the year magnitude. Would you just let a magus learn that spell? Or would you require some kind of research roll?

Formulaic can use other parameters than spontaneous, so i would not require a research for a so simple duration.

Sorry for necro-Posting :confused: Especialy for my first message on the board.

I just wanted to thank the creator of this spell, it is exactly what i was missing to give a second Youth to my "Art of memory/Mental construct lab" lazy lab-rat :smiley: Now, he has a new reason (excuse?) to spend 24 a day in bed... He is working hard !

But the Warping! Oh the Warping...

If I'm reading the rules right (Ars5, p. 167-168), he wouldn't suffer any warping. The spell has a Personal range, so the caster "created the effect" (and in all likelihood, any Personal range would almost by definition be designed especially for the caster/target) - ergo, no Warping. The spell has Sun duration, and probably wouldn't be cast during the day when the caster wouldn't be sleeping; so, as long as he doesn't cast it at least one day out of the year, he would be under the effects of the effect for less than half the year and does not accrue Warping (p. 168, middle column). Now, if he botches the casting roll, then all bets are off.

Yep, especialy cause you're not working 7 day a week and 365 day a year (especialy my character who is way too lazy to do so)

And as the Art of memory rituals are "moment duration", no continuous strong magical effects. Just some weird and fun random second effect on the spells created will "sleeping" in my imaginary lab (due to the Warping value of 2).

My Character just created the : Guided visite of the Memory Palace (CrIm(Me)25) which mainly allow me to show what he had created in his lil sleepy mind...but warping cames in and everybody who is watching it for more than 5 minutes has to test his concentration to avoid slowly falling asleep or day-dreaming. My SG will never ever give me the opportunity to show anybody that my character is not ONLY a useless/lazy/ressource waster piece of shame :smiley:

I definitly love this Charater :smiley: