Magus' Council

As I consider the matter some more, I think I see silveroak's point about being in two covenants. Let's consider an example.

Say Meliai gets the Second Canton and sets up a covenant in the Artemis Grove. (Big surprise there.) Does she stay in the founding covenant (we need to come up with another name for it), or does she move to the new one? It seems to me that she has to choose, since she can't be in two covenants at once. And what if she chooses to stay at the founding covenant? Does she have any control over the Artemis Grove covenant? Yes, she's the magister of Second Canton, so she's in charge of everything there. But does she have any say with the covenant? Maybe not.

Of course, she could always move to Artemis Grove, officially become a member there, and keep her lab at the founding covenant.

Interesting decisions to be made.

(( OOC: I get that, I really do. I dislike double dipping on general principal. I feel like either you're a member of the second covenant or you're not. Pick one or the other, you know? However it's your canton, you can set the rules. So even if you're not a member per say, you can have a lot of influence.))

OOC: Does the Code allow you to be a member of more than one covenant? I'm not sure about that.

Ooc: I don't think it is stipulated in raw but I'd bet a coffee that the community view would be (1) YSMV, (2) many tribunals would rule for a one to one even if the Order didn't have a rule.

I see the membership to a covenant to be very similar to an employment contract. Some allow flexibility, most don't or wouldn't want to.

That said, this project is about the magi doing things differently- so perhaps they should try to start allowing membership if both and see what we encounter (assuming nobody finds a Raw saying it must be 1-to-1).

I would like Constantine to be responsible for a canton and also have his membership and main lab at Atlantis Prime.

I'll do some research on the issue.

And if we go with this plan, Magnus would definitely keep his lab in Atlantis Prime.

I like the canton plan, but still think we should have a special plan to allow belonging to multiple covenants and requiring the secondary covenants to pledge fealty as part of that. Then the central site becomes a leadership covenant where the head of each subsidiary covenant is also the member of the master covenant. So Meliai founds a covenant at Artemis Grove, and remains a member and Central Casting. When she passes into final twilight or ascends to become a Daimon, a new person is selected to lead this covenant, and takes a position in Central Casting as well...

I did some research, and while it seems clear that the GT Peripheral Code limits you to only one sanctum, I don't see anything that officially limits you to being a member of only one covenant. It's unorthodox, to be sure. And it's probably forbidden by some, if not all, tribunal Peripheral Codes. But if you're successful in getting named your own tribunal then you ought to be able to carry out plans the way silveroak describes. and in the meanwhile, you're claiming not to be part of any tribunal, so it should be good.

You'll be limited to a single sanctum, of course. I assume people were planning on keeping their sanctums in Atlantis Prime, but they could choose the other covenant if they like.

If anyone discovers anything to the contrary, please let me know.

This does tend to support my proposition that we only have one official covenant in each canton and have the rest be chapter houses. Being a member of two covenants is unorthodox. Being a member of three or more is going too far.

So if we have general buy-in on the canton system, let's start looking on who gets which one.

I suspect that Meliai would like the Second Canton with the Artemis Grove and the Faerie regio. (Who better than the local Merinita to host the Faerie Regio?)
I know that Constantine would like the Third Canton with the Aerie in it.
Magnus would like the First Canton since it has the place where he first raised Atlantis, and he's got a soft spot for that location. It also has a climate very similar to Scotland, so it would be a home-away-from-home. :wink:
We still need to hear from Gawain and Artemis. If they are happy with the Fourth and Fifth Cantons then we're good.

BTW, we can give the cantons real names once we take them over. The "first" and "second" modifiers are just placeholders.

As an aside, silveroak reminds me that regios are higher in level inside than out. I had forgotten that. So the Faerie regio in the second canton should be a level 4 Faerie Aura, not a level 5. It was intended to be a level 5 Faerie Aura inside the first regio level. (There may be other levels that are higher). Sorry for that glitch.

"I was also considering what we could call our central covenant," Magnus adds. "New Atlantis just seems too redundant now, since that's what we're calling the island. I was thinking Cor Atlantis (Heart of Atlantis), Atlantis Primus (the first Atlantis (covenant)), Domus Magi (Magus' Home) might be possibilities. Does anyone else have a suggestion?"

"Imperium Atlantis" Meliai suggests - throne of Atlantis. "Or Urbe Atlantis" Capital of Atlantis

(( OOC: Gawain will settle for last choice in terms of cantons, allowing the Magi to get the most favorable auras etc. However he will want compensation in terms of land, whatever canton he receives should have more square mileage than the others as it were. It only seems fair after all...))

"Ragnarok. I vote for Ragnarok as the name of the central covenant. Or I could call my Canton Ragnarok if that's allowed. " Artemis would like the Fifth Canton. She likes the level five aura of the town. She doesn't care that much though. She can give up some of her land.

"I'm not so sure about Ragnarok as the name for our central covenant," Magnus replies. "It doesn't send the right message to me. But so far as I'm concerned, you can name your canton Ragnarok if you like."

[hr][/hr]
If Artemis wants the Fifth Canton, Gawain is happy with the Fourth Canton, and Artemis is willing to give up a little land to Gawain, then we have agreement.

Here's what I have as a map:

Central Canton: Jointly-controlled
First Canton (renamed Atlantia Canton): Magnus
Second Canton: Meliai
Third Canton: Constantine
Fourth Canton: Gawain
Fifth Canton (renamed Ragnarok Canton): Artemis

Second Canton shall hereby be known as Danusylvania.

We had a request from Gawain for some of the mountains. I took some away from First Canton and some away from Third Canton.

What do people think of this distribution? It favors Meliai and Gawain, but it seems generally fair.

"Domus Magi, it speaks to our intentions. To provide a home for mages to practice their craft, free from outside influence."

I'm fine with it. I can see Meliai and Gawain making good use of land so yep.

I'll get back to you with a name for the canton.

For the main covenant name I'm happy with either the prime or domus themed names.

Sounds like Domus Magi has three votes. Barring any further comments, we'll go with that.

Updated the most recent map with some names. (See above)