Magus Labs

A thread for the discussion (and vetting) of any non-canon spells for development, and for any magic item questions.

I thought I posted this... one power and one familiar bond power.

Burrow into Flesh
Muto Corpus (Animal) – Cost: 0 Points, Init+0
R: Touch D: Sun T:Part
This transforms the human victims body adapting it so Tia can fit in and draw nutrition from the hosts digestive system. Tia fits herself along the back of the spine, her ribs stretching outwards so she can make the fit. By slightly modifying parts of the human she is able to fit herself in and find ideally located vessels to latch onto and feed. The wings slip into the humans back under there skin. The entire process is extremely painful for the human. The only give away is chitin plates covering the human's spine when all is said and done. The process takes about two rounds to complete.

The transformation can be ended if Tia pulls herself out of the human, similar to how some Hermetic Muto effects are ended. This is also extremely painful. Only part of the person is transformed, so most of the human isn't affected by magic resistance, only some insides of the person. Trying to remove or kill Tia by force would be extremely dangerous when she's inside someone. Chirurgy rolls would be required to do so safely. Also note leaving Tia to rot inside someone would likely be extremely deadly.
Base 2 +1 touch +2 Sun +1 Part, 15 levels to master points, 2 master points for reduced cost.

[center]Bond Powers[/center]

Burrow into Flesh: Bond Version
Muto Corpus (Animal)-15, Constant, 1 extra user/day
R: Touch D: Mom T: Part
As Burrow into Flesh, except for a few difference as it is from a familiar bond not a power. First the effect is constant, although it doesn't trigger if Tia isn't touching Hope. Or it immediately ends, Hope and Tia aren't sure which. Tia can also trigger it once per day. Second the effect does not cause warping because its part of the familiar bond. Third it only affects Hope.
Base 2 +1 Touch + 2 Sun +1 part

Because there really needs to be a magical creature that burrows into people's flesh.

Gross... But I digress.

Base 2? That really doesn't sound right. Even Base 3 doesn't allow that sort of distortion. I don't really know, but probably Base 5 or so. I would think it would be a step less than the level-10 guideline to change into an animal.

The second one isn't Constant as described. It could be D: Sun. It could be D: Concentration with the bond maintaining it. If you're worried about sunrise/sunset even with D: Concentration and the leeway granted (look on the Wiki, this is handy) to D: Sun and others and don't really want it Constant but effectively constant, you can go with D: Moon.

I was thinking of the muto corpus base 2 guideline. Remember this targets the human, not an animal. Ultimately, if you strip away the flowery description its "Make make space for a parasite." A parasite doesn't need magic to feed. Which IMO is minor. Like a Kangaroo pouch! I did tweak the bit about Chirurgy rolls. Removing a normal parasite safely is dangerous.

Good point on the bond though. Moon duration would work nicely. And it comes out to the same final level...

Whatever the case its fine. I could certainly see an argument for the Muto Corpus 3 guideline. Or an argument for porting MuAn 4 "major change" over to Muto Corpus. Or an argument for "complexity" or whatever magnitudes. Which is really just the same as increasing the base! WEEEEE!!!!

How big is Tia? From the description of Tia's ribs and wings I got the impression Tia is of decent size, not like Size -15. Moving around major organs that much doesn't seem on the same scale as making your eyes see better. Even the level-3 guideline is supposed to leave everything in the body pretty much as-is. I would guess Peregrine would go with a base of 4 or 5.

I don't know anything about Tia (I'm guessing she's Hope's familiar?), but just from those powers she sounds like a monster from Doctor Who or something. Feels more science-fiction/horror-y to me. But anyway.

I'm thinking this is a base 3. Yes, she's not utterly changing the victim's size or appearance, but she's giving the victim more than a "minor ability" by making it so they don't die or get quite ill when they have something living inside them, even if just for a while.

And for some reason I'm picturing Tia as some kind of alien xenomorph/scorpion fly type of Familiar.

I had a description written up and in retrospect I should have posted it.

Tia looks utterly hideous when not burrowed into a person. A huge snake with a dozen legs, the ribs poke through the bottom of its flesh, there are patches where the skin and flesh is missing and countless tiny tubes hang out of the creature, occasionally oozing blood or pus. The top of the creature has chitin plates protecting it, and four large, ragged wings although they aren't sufficient for flight. Tia is a idealized parasite of a sort. Unable to eat anything but a sort of prechewed brothy soup on its own it, it will starve unless it finds a host or is carefully taken care of. She is about the length of a human spine.

It definitely draws inspiration from sci-fi like horror, but some from the dragon section of RoP: Magic

Honestly this makes more sense to me now too. Here would be the modified versions:

Burrow into Flesh
Muto Corpus (Animal) – Cost: 1 Points, Init-1
R: Touch D: Sun T:Part
This transforms the human victims body adapting it so Tia can fit in and draw nutrition from the hosts digestive system. Tia fits herself along the back of the spine, her ribs stretching outwards so she can make the fit. By slightly modifying parts of the human she is able to fit herself in and find ideally located vessels to latch onto and feed. The wings slip into the humans back under there skin. The entire process is extremely painful for the human. The only give away is chitin plates covering the human's spine when all is said and done. The process takes about two rounds to complete.

The transformation can be ended if Tia pulls herself out of the human, similar to how some Hermetic Muto effects are ended. This is also extremely painful. Only part of the person is transformed, so most of the human isn't affected by magic resistance, only some insides of the person. Trying to remove or kill Tia by force would be extremely dangerous when she's inside someone. Chirurgy rolls would be required to do so safely. Also note leaving Tia to rot inside someone would likely be extremely deadly.
Base 3 +1 touch +2 Sun +1 Part, 10 levels to master points, 2 master points for reduced cost.

Bond Powers

Burrow into Flesh: Bond Version
Muto Corpus (Animal)-20, i use/day
R: Touch D: Mom T: Part
As Burrow into Flesh, except for a few difference as it is from a familiar bond not a power. The duration is increased. Second the effect does not cause warping because its part of the familiar bond. Third it only affects Hope.
Base 3 +1 Touch + 3 Moon +1 part

All good?

That really does sound like something out of Star Trek, Doctor Who, etc. Of course, deciding to play a necromancer here, who am I really to say "gross," right?
[hr][/hr]Here are some spells I'm working on. The first and third should be totally fine. The second one I'm not sure about. The Base (for up to Size +1), Range, Duration, and Target are all good. The issue is whether or not I need levels of intricacy to choose what type of animal corpse is created.

The Well-Preserved Grave Beast [CrAn4]
[tab][/tab]R: Touch, D: Concentration, T: Individual
[tab][/tab]Preserves an animal corpse (up to Size +1).
[tab][/tab](Base 2, +1 Touch, +1 Cooncentration)
Conjuring the Grave Beast [CrAn20]
[tab][/tab]Creates an animal corpse (up to Size +1).
[tab][/tab](Base 10, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration)
Waking the Grave Beast [ReAn(Me)25]
[tab][/tab]Animate the Slumbering Corpse (HP p.97) for animal corpses (up to Size +1) at R: Touch and D: Concentration.
[tab][/tab](Base 10, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +1 Mentem requisite)

Also, while on this topic.

Otherwise the Brawl score would be 3. With the double-defense issue (must beat defenses and penetrate, not just one or the other) that most spells don't have to worry about, I don't think it's overpowered to use Finesse here. But it's an official option presented, not a set rule.

Looks good to me.

This should be good, I don't see a need for the additional magnitudes for different kinds of corpses; the one CrAn spell in the MRB that actually makes animals (Curse of the Ravenous Swarm) lets you make different kinds of ravenous insects.

Do I have Hermetic Projects? *checks my inventory. Hunh. I keep forgetting I have that. So, yes, looks good to me.

Personally, I'd prefer to keep it as is, to avoid "rules creep" and in the interest of keeping things simple. But, I did create a House Rules discussion thread (with a nifty neat little poll at the top) so we can decide as a troupe.

Oops. The HP spell is just a modification of the core ArM5 spell. I should have referred to that. Sorry.

I'm find with that... either way really. But as the option is an official choice and in one of the main rulebooks we're using I definitely wanted to ask to find out which way we're choosing. I'm not going to vote on it because I have a vested interest in the outcome.

I have this:

Eyes of the Rock, InIm 15
Allows the caster to see around himself even if he doesn't have eyes. Lepos uses this to see in elemental form.

(Base 1, +1 Touch, +1 Concentration, +4 Vision)

Not sure that it should be t:vision. What do you think?

Wits, the description and the mechanics don't match.

1. You wrote "the caster," but you made it R: Touch instead of R: Personal. No big deal, but it's not clear which is correct.
  2. I think the target needs to have a sense of sight for the spell to feed him visual information. That is actually distinct from having eyes. You could be blind and have eyes. You could have vision but be transformed to have no eyes. That doesn't mean the spell doesn't work as intended. I just think you probably want to change the second half of the first sentence.

Oops, you are right of course. I'll change it to personal.

The Semblance of Life Restored [MuIm5]
[tab][/tab]Makes a corpse look, smell, and feel like a normal living being. For example, with a grave hound this masks things like its glossy, opaque eyes; its fetid breath,
[tab][/tab]and its cool body.
[tab][/tab](Base 3, +1 Touch, +1 Cooncentration)

A few spells I'm considering for Corbin,

Veil of Silent Passage (PeIm10)
R: Touch, D: Diameter, T: Ind
(base 4 for no smell, or noise, or touch, +1 Touch, +1 Diameter)

View Around Corners (InIm10)
Move perception to a place you can see
(+3 Sight, +1 Conc, Base 2 for sight and hearing)

Traveler's Awareness (InIm5)
See/hear on a road.
(Base 2, +2 Road, +1 Diameter)

Conjuration of the Insubstantial Fleeting Blindfold (CrIm 5)
Create a blindfold on the target.
(Base 1, +2 Voice, +1 Diameter, +1 moves with target)

Perfect Balance [ReCo4]
[tab][/tab]R: Personal, D: Concentration, T: Individual
[tab][/tab]This spell keeps the caster moving in the direction the caster intends while walking or running. This prevents slipping, tripping, or otherwise losing balance;
[tab][/tab]but it does not prevent being lifted or thrown since there would no longer be a surface supporting the caster.
[tab][/tab](Base 3, +1 Cooncentration)

Isn't temperature Ignem? The corpse would still feel like a "normal living being", but cold. I work with people that I wonder if they're truly alive, because every time I touch them, they feel very cold.

I'm not saying make it warm. I'm saying make it feel like it's warm. Just like you can't make a solid but you can give something the feeling of being solid, which is even weirder to me. At least in the real world we have warmer things that feel colder and colder things that feel warmer. If you're still against it, fine. Or if you want an Ignem requisite, fine. That is why it's here.

+1. Although it's odd, my suss was that an Imagonem effect could cause somebody to "feel" a solid surface, or make flavour or texture change. Seems legit that the spell as written would feel warm but not actually heat at all without an Ig req.

And there are example spells of just that in action in the corebook; e.g. making an illusory fire that provides the sensation of warmth without actually warming you / cooking anything, etc.