Major and minor focus- Whats the difference?

If I do something illegal but learn something really useful with which I can further advance hermetic magic, will I be held responsible for the method or does the end justify the means? Assuming, of course, that I live.

Look, you've seen this discussion before. There is no answer, or at least none that any can predict with any certainty. IF(?) your character is caught, then someone has to convince the next Tribunal that it's important, and then it becomes a political matter, not one of black and white "Law". On the other hand, one doesn't need to break the Code to be accused of such, and found guilty due to being generally unpopular.

Do you have more enemies than friends? Do you plan to share your discovery, and with whom? Does your discovery threaten anyone? How bad are you breaking the law, and how significant is the discovery? Could someone gain great advantage by screwing you? Who was that masked man?

Don't answer the above here- answer them for yourself. The Hermetic Code is like many of the laws that are vaguely defined to allow police to prosecute whoever they felt needed such. "Disturbing the Peace" is often only exactly what police say it is. The same crime, committed by different people in different circumstances, could be ignored or used to "make an example".

The Code is a big warning- "Don't even think about it!" It's a sign that says "Danger: Minefield". It's NOT a line in the sand, nor a clearcut legal definition, nor a guarantee that tiptoeing around it will be safe.

Well, well, well put.

... ya gotta love answering a question with yet more questions.