Major Magical Focus or Minor?

The thing is, I plan to actually "jump" while in wolf form. I transform into a wolf for Mom duration, and the wolf form jumps 7 leagues with the use of magic (or less, depoending on how far I want to go)

And yes, I planned it to be +1 magnitude.

I find wolves jumping around to have plenty of character. Wolves jump, after all :slight_smile: The problem will be how to teleport my pack with me, since I can't do it with the same spell (they start being wolves themselves).....

Cheers,

Xavi

If you turn into a wolf you are still a human and affected by only with Co spells not An! So the focus is useless in this case.
This combo works only if you are a Bjornaer who in heartbeast form can be affected with An spells. In this case he have to transform into wolf and use the modified seven league stride spell.

No, when you turn into a wolf you are affected by corpus and animal (HoH: MC p.22)

There seems to be a slight mis-understanding here. I was saying that you cannot have a focus which is a lab activity. I have always argued (using those two examples) that a focus should apply to a lab activity, and that it will apply to any effects enchanted into something your focus covers. e.g. A Pilum of Fire into a wand (if your focus is wands).

Maybe I am a little bit obtuse right now, but I just thought that this was the opposite.

So what is the actual argument?
That a focus in wands is not possible? that the focus should not apply to enchant the wand with a PoF? That it would apply to use the item but not at creating it? That it should be major instead of minor?.....

Xavi

You and me both :wink:

Would you allow the type of wood to affect this as well, like ash tree wood providing a bonus to perdo (IIRC) and oak to rego?

Xavi

Minor Magical Focus: Enchanting Ash Wood?

Providing the effect of a focus any time you enchant perdo effects into an ash wood item?

It's still better than an universal focus. So yes.

No, I mean: Focus in wood, and then you use the bonuses provided by each type of wood appart from the general material "wood" as well.

Xavi

My intent was that the focus, for enchanting items, would apply only for the shape and material bonus of things explicitly included in the focus.

So... here's some examples. Using just the shape and material from the core book for sake of simplicity, at the moment.

Minor Magical Focus: Enchanting Wood
gives a bonus to any item effect in a wooden item that...
affects living wood, or affects dead wood

Minor Magical Focus: Enchanting Wands
gives a bonus to any item effect in a wand that...
repels things, projects bolts or missiles, controls things at a distance, or destroys things at a distance.

Minor Magical Focus: Enchanting Wooden Wands
gives a bonus to any item effect in a wooden wand that...
affects living wood, affects dead wood, repels things, projects bolts or missiles, controls things at a distance, or destroys things at a distance

and...

Minor Magical Focus: Enchanting Oak Wands
Same as Enchanting Wooden Wands, but only works with oak wands. However it also helps with effects in the wands that provide protection from storms, since that's Oak's material bonus. (There are a few more for oak, at least in mystery cults and possibly elsewhere, by the way.)

So... the more specific the item type you pick, the broader the range of possible effects, but the less potential items you can apply it to.

But that's an entirely different virtue, surely. If you could write it up such that it's consistent across a range of shapes and/or materials then it could be interesting.

I don't think it replaces the focus, however. That achieves something quite different.

Ok, player made a new magus, fresh out of Gauntlet.

Flambeau. A bit of a sad assed power gamer, but invariably screws himself and is the most useless member of the group despite the power level.

Creo Affinity, Ignem Affinity.

Major Magical Focus: Flame

That sound kosher? Is "Flame" a bit too big?

Should be fine; it's a subset of Ignem, which also includes light and heat. It's also the Major Magical Focus of the Flambeau template on page 25 of the core book. :stuck_out_tongue:

It's ok. If he's a power gamer he can choose 'creating fire' as a minor focus.

and Himinis the Mad is required to be sensible in what manner? I thouht the point of his legend was that he mad mad and bood-by-trapped devices which he left scattered around...

Foucs (Swords) sounds fine if you want to make a magical sword - any item effect which affects a sword gets a bonus - so "Flame Sword" gets a bonus.
What does not get a bonus is "Pilum of fire, enchanted into a device which happens to be a Sword", as Pilum of Fire has nothing to do with swords, and the form of the device does not provide an enchantment bonus (no Lab Activity bonus).

You do get a bonus on the (lab activity of) enchanting Flame sword - but not because it's a lab activity, not because it's enchanted into a sword but because it affects a sword when triggered.

very Verditius...

I would argue for the stricter interpretation - "Focus (Wands)" specifically does not affect general enchantment into a Wand, only device effects (or spells) which target Wands.

After all, since a Wand can be made of any Form (wood, metal, crystal, glass, bone, even ice), "Wands" has the capacity to extend across several Forms, and so as a Minor Focus must have a restrictive interpretation.

(A meta-rule guideline is that you look at how useful, how widespread are spells and effects, for a Focus: the fewer there are, the more likely it's a valid Minor Focus; the more, the more likely it's a Major Focus, or even "too broad"))

But do you have any RAW references to support that?

I understand that you're trying to rationalise it one way, against others who are taking a different view but I just don't get it.

How do we create a magus archetype that is able to enchant wondrous effects into swords? Wouldn't sword-based-effects only be a bit rubbish? Why bother?

I just don't see the problem (and we've been round and round) with letting the player get the most from his sword focus. If he wants to use it he's either got to invent lots of sword-based spells OR he has to spend seasons in the lab enchanting swords. A Flambeau who picks "Flame" as his focus is arguable more powerful, from a certain point of view. He gets to use his focus more often in open play, given the right opponents.

If you think the above interpretation is strong, then ensure that players take such a focus as a major virtue. Given that there are a hundred and one ways to be "better than the average" at any given activity with this game, I don't see why it's necessary to be restrictive with these virtues.

Long before Mystery cults came out I was considering a character with a minor magical focus in swords.

think of the cool spells

Animating swords to fight for him

spells that hurl swords at opponents

Spells to create ladders out of swords

spells to make other people's swords grow too large to be weilded.

Creation of a bridge made from thousands of interlocked swords

A spell to summon your sword from far away.

A few low level sword altering effects enchanted with enough penetration to be effective against nearly anything.

I'm very comfortable with the sword focus of the confraternity of Roland not applying to any enchantment that is instilled into a sword.

The wand focus of the confraternity of Himniss the mad seems to be less generally useful. How many spells to turn your wand into somthing alse do you really want?

Well, I always considered focus that way, until that discussion about wooden wands, when it seemed that my point of view was at least partly wrong.

However, caribet does strike a point here. The man is known as Himinis The Mad, so there's no wonder he went to such lengths as to create a nearly useless magical focus. Maybe he was convinced this would allow him to create the Ultimate Wooden Wand?

And that's great, but I wouldn't want that to be the canonical reading of the virtue.

Well, it is not in the canonical reading of the rule, so you should be fine, Mark :slight_smile:

Cheers,

Xavi