Making sense of some spells

As far as I'm aware, and I may be wrong, a magus can only create something they've seen. So they'd need to have seen a plant with those properties to create one.

As mentioned by others, it would probably be much easier to avoid than TotEV, and even if successful it probably would only restrict the target's movements rather than immobilize him. I'd say qik-enc roll of 6+ to avoid, complete immobilization only on a botch, otherwise just one limb immobilized.

Hmm, no, you could make a vine already entwining a target grow thorns, or you could create a big thorn out of thin air -- but it would not "push into" the target.

These two spells are really one and the same. It's a spell called Acorns for Amusement, in ToME p.55. Damage is: small blunt object +1, arrow shaft +4, log +10 (I'd say sharpened log +13 or so). Note that the spell does not create the wooden projectile. Also, the 100 m per second part sounds very "unmythic", but that's just cosmetic.

As the above spell multicast into 10 copies; so +13 damage applied 10 times. Keep in mind, however, that there's probably not enough room on a single man-sized target for all 10 logs to land solid hits -- I'd probably just allow 1 or 2. On a whale or a dragon, however, it would be fine.

No need to penetrate even for a +1 size target. It's not clear to me, hovewever, how this could work if the target were standing on solid ground (in particular, how could you get the sphere under his feet). I'd allow it only if the target were flying or swimming.

Same problems as Deadly Thorn above. However, you could have the spike drop onto the target, requiring an aiming roll (probably pretty hard for a moving human target). Keep in mind that Mom duration is enough to last about a round, so you could create the spike several dozen yards in the air.

Animating a plant to attack is ReHe Base 4; you should build from there, adding a Creo requisite, yielding a nice level 25 spell. See the ReHe examples for stats (keeping in mind they are for larger plants). Also, keep in mind that the victim can dodge, so the monstrous plant would need a successful attack roll. Finally, any sensible target would keep his distance, so unless there's little room to maneuver, the monstrous plant would have to win initiative and even then would only get one attack.

Finally, no natural digestive fluids dissolve a target in 2 minutes, you'd probably need some extra magnitude if you really wanted some superstrong acid (it's an extra effect) using the Aquam guidelines; or you could just have the plant chomp on its target.

Too complex! I'd start with the same Base as Freeing the Striding Tree (ReHe Base 5), and animate the vine to just pick the target up and envelop him, while moving around and manipulating stuff with its own appendages. This would probably require a vine of at least +1 size. I'd also drop duration to Sun, for a total level of Base 5 +1 Touch +2 Sun +1size=ReHe 25. Keep in mind that the vine dies if you keep it too long uprooted. You could add an effect that makes the vine as hard as iron, but I'd say it would be unnecessary -- and it would require at the very least two extra magnitudes for Muto and Terram requisites.

I'm not sure why this would require Armament of the tree-hugger instead of being the usual Acorns for Amusement, above.

Sure!

I'm not sure how this is supposed to work -- MuAq changes water into air. You could create a snorkel-like reed allowing you to draw breath through it while fully submerged.

Sure, you'd need to rework the levels though, based on animating a plant. It's probably better to have a single spell that creates and animates a plant as a multipurpose servant that can attack, defend, carry etc.

You could create a healing poultice, but it would not be nearly as effective as tCHT -- it would probably only provide a small bonus to healing rolls.

That would be CrAq. Better create a wooden javelin and throw it!

Sure! Though stone is obviously sturdier than wood. However, with CrHe you could probably also "fast grow" a single sapling into a large tree, and shape it into a sanctum with a Rego requisite -- without requiring a Ritual.

Had missed that. Still.

There isn't really a Creo guideline for making an unnatural plant, which is why I wanted the Muto req.
I agree that Complexity might do it, it just feels off.

I was trying to make a joke :wink:

Yup. We have used them a lot in our last long saga, since Severin was a PC, and the spells became quite popular with the other magi as well. We are unsure if we would like to see that level of spells in ither sagas, though, since we are not sure we agree with "1 Individual of He = 1 cubic pace of solid wood" base parameter.

Xavi