Mercurian Aegis contractors - is this remotely plausible?

This here?

'Wizard's Boost (Range)', 'Wizard's Boost (Duration)' and 'Wizard's Boost (Target)' - as described near the end of the spell description - do affect R/D/T respectively, and only R/D/T. What appeared to you was incorrect, so I did skip it.

In the quote I am just starting to sum up arguments that are pretty old IMCs.

I gave another one below.

The one I mentioned above: 11 lines of text higher in this post you have quoted it yourself. I assume it to be a Ritual, because it needs to have Duration: Sun (see errata for ArM5 p.159) and hence be 3 magnitudes higher than the Ritual it shall affect. And tmk a level 40 Aegis is not uncommon.

I skip now some questions of yours that are unquotable, because interspersed with my text you react to, and rather answer them in context. The 'Wizard's Boost' is the only canonical MuVi spell changing another spell's Durations. If a player does not make a variant of it, she has to refer to the MuVi Guidelines, which are sufficiently vague (and patched by different versions of errata) to require troupe approval of each spell built just referring to them.
The need to adjudicate in the troupe, what a Faerie Magic MuVi spell can do about a Hermetic spell has nothing to do with 'Wizard's Boost', however.

This problem is indeed first and foremost with the capability to modify an 'Aegis of the Hearth' on the fly at all. But it is certainly not made any easier if a Merinita wishes to slap a Duration from a Mystery onto it.

Do you now think my last argument you quote to be new, or "acknowledged before"? Anyway I am quite aware of what I write. Let's see what that new thread does, then.

Cheers

Ah, I see. I like it. The spell will fail whenever it's Duration expires. But in the case of D: Concentration there is no expiration as long as the spell is maintained, and that is why it works in this case. It does seem otherwise that ReVi would end up outdoing MuVi at changing Duration, something that is supposed to be part of MuVi.

Chris

Would you be refering to this?

Terribly sorry to be rude, but would you stuff Wizard's Boost already?

Your 'Wizard's Boost (Range)' is Wizard's Reach.

Equivalent spells can be constructed directly from the guidelines.
Let's call them...
Wizard's Extension of [Form] (changes duration)
Wizard's Expansion of [Form] (one of many spells that can be designed to manipulate the Target of a spell - in this case it allows a spell to affect a target larger than 1 individual, ie a Wizard's Expansion of Corpus that allows normal corpus spells to affect a Giant-blooded target. Fairly Pedestrian.)

Each of these can be designed purely from first principle, namely the guidelines.
The Guidelines always trumph any single example (spell).
And these spells come out like Wizard's Reach, not Wizard's Boost.

Yes, for rituals. But I cannot believe rituals with Faerie R/D/T would be less "hermetic" than formulaics with Faerie R/D/T. Deciding how FFM works with Faerie Magic would resolve the MuVi question, even if it is applied to a ritual spell.

I believe Faerie Magic is just as hermetic as Mercurian Magic or any other Hermetic Virtue. Adjuration and Weal are what I'd call non-hermetic.

Yes, that's the discussion. Thanks for digging it out!

As I stated in the thread, I think that if one sticks very strictly to the RAW, it appears that you can use the ReVi guideline to, say, keep a D:Sun spell up for D:Moon. But in the wider context of game balance, of what Rego is supposed to do etc. I do like the other view (well summarized by callen above) better.

That's my position too.

Not quite. E. g. 'Wizard's Boost (Range)' from the bottom of the description of 'Wizard's Boost' is one spell boosting ranges for spells of any Form, while 'Wizards Reach (Form)' boosts them only for spells of one specific Form.

I agree. But, given the state of the MuVi Guidelines both with respect to precision and layered errata, in practice every such spell requires a troupe decision.

The only spell that I know to have been generated and made canon of these is MoH p.113 'Wizard's Expansion (Form)', which increases just the number of targets. So for other spells expanding targets there is clearly a need for decision by the troupe again, just how general the spell may become without putting the SG arbitration back in. The same holds for an extension of Duration, of course.

All ArM5 TeFo Guidelines would need to be far more precise for this to be true. In practice you need to consider canon spells as guidelines and examples all the time.
Canon spells from MuVi Guidelines especially show a lot of care and judgement of the authors in their definition.

Cheers

I think MuVi-ing to get into ritual durations, or from one ritual duration to another would itself requre a ritual. I'd propose a Wizard's extension that can double the duration (analogue to doubling the amount of targets) instead.

The whole block really.

Then please, lecture me on how Wizard's Boost works, but be prepared for questions.
And could we have that in a seperate thread, please?

I must have missed them - and still cannot find them.
I must be going blind - could you point them out to me please?

I figured that would have to be what you meant, but you were being unclear and I wanted to be certain we were talking about the same thing - to me, a Faerie Ritual would be one using Faerie Powers and Methods.
And while you may assume that an Aegis of 40+ is normal, that is not a given, especially when also assuming that the Aegis has to penetrate.
Also, Since we're changing things to something of the same effective level, 2 extra magnitudes will do fine (If the same caster casts the Aegis).

Er... actually it doesn't.

(emphasis mine)
So that appearantly is not what the Wizard's boost does - then what does it do?

Huh?!??! That's your argument?
Goodness me.
In this case: This is an RPG - a shared fantasy. Brushing my hair in the morning before I go out requires Troupe approval.

I'm sorry then, but i could have sworn you were the one dragging out Wizard's Boost as an argument.
If this was not so, my apologies.

I could have sworn my copy of ArM5 said Wizard's Boost (Form) and indeed explicitly contains the information that

Wow, it does indeed when I'm looking at it. Who knew.

Is this your position? Then why didn't you bring it forth earlier when people were refering to Wizard's Reach?

Ezze appearantly is capable of using the MuVi guidelines.
So am I, though Wizard's boost specifically bothers me.
Others too seem to be perfectly able to use MuVi and metamagics just from the guidelines (and errata).

No, it shows a very good example of how well-defined the effect of a MuVi spell needs to be.
Like Wizard's Reach.