Mission: Improbable

((Probably Leadership (Intimidation). Vibria doesn't have any appropriate Personality Traits, so I'm just going for a simple stress die roll of 6.))

Vibria fidgets uncomfortably under Bernhard's stare for a moment, then quickly turns to look at the door that Gemma passed though. [color=red]"Can she enchant anyone, or just men?"

Do not know. Bernhard is a mixture of surprised and impressed with Vibria's reaction. Either she's a very good liar or she's not afraid of much. The notion that she's honest is right out, of course.

Makes me wonder, could Bernhard be in love with vulcanus?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by that.

The whole point of the thing is that Arachne is with the other magi, and use an intangible tunnel to use a spell to manipulate the spider, plus an InIm spell to move her sight to the spider's location, just as if she used a ReCo spell on someone through an IT to manipulate him like a puppet.
There's no need for an AC, since she is effectively touching the spider (through the Tunnel), and using the other spells at touch range.

Anyway, it seems there's nothing interesting here, since everything's in the regio, so she'll just have the spider come back to her.

Ok. I was thinking of teleportation, since I seem to recall a Ward vs Gifted people somewhere, this could have allowed us to bypass it

Yes, although this would nonetheless take too much time to craft.

Hehe, I was going for "Bro Code" here.

Oh! headdesk Yeah, you guys haven't gotten to that yet :slight_smile:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but so long as one person can see the boundary of a regio or a regio level, they can always lead others through it without need for the others seeing it, yes? Something I'd like to be sure of well before it comes up.

Let us figure out who can turn invisible or spont it, tie a thread to each other, and have Arachne lead an invisible infiltration :slight_smile:

Arachné nods
Sounds like a plan.
I just hope I'll be able to perceive the regio boundary. From my experience, this can be quite difficult. Yet, there's probably some sort of easy way in or out, used by the servants.

She stops a moment
My concern, as always, is of traps, both mundane and magical. The wand vulcanus gave us can detect active magical effects, and, once inside, we should make sure to use it: There's a good chance that at least some magical traps will use a linked, active intellego effect, which a careful use of the wand will allow us to detect right before we spring them.

The real problem will come from both mundane traps, and those magical ones who are triggered by our actions, such as, say, a sword that incinerates anyone drawing it. We will need to be really careful there, especially as magical items can have an impressive penetration. The less we touch, the better.

She looks at vibria
You know what? It would have been really funny if our opponent was a Creo Ignem expert. We could have sent you walking unscathed right through his traps, making all his preparations irrelevant :smiley: Sadly, I doubt we'll have such luck.

Yes, which stands to reason.

Decide what entrance you're going in, and who's going, and I'll let you know what happens next. I strongly advise against taking in extra grogs.

Since it seems likely that Arachne may want to use "The Silent Magus" on the party, we should know how many charges of "Maintaining the Demanding Spell" have been used out of her talisman for the day. Am I correct that it's three charges so far, one for the Intangible Tunnel, one for the animation effect, and the other for the InIm effect?

Full advance warning: I didn't ask for concentration rolls before, but once you guys are inside and actively trying to avoid attention (the difference between simple dice and stress dice), activating an effect in your talisman while concentrating on a spell (even the spell you're waiting to transfer into it) should be at least as difficult as answering a yes/no question (EF12).

Vibria wants to go in. If nothing else, she kinda wants to mug Gemma for her wand. She doesn't know what she'd do with it, but she'll figure something out.

Carmen shall rely on Inuition to choose which is the best entrance...
1d10=7
:smiley:

Carmen's intuition tells her that going into any of these entrances with your full group and trying to sneak around is a really bad idea.

Sending a group in the front door, disguised and under some pretense of appearing to be on official business, on the other hand, would pave the way for a second group to follow behind invisibly...

Carmen calls everyone into a huddle
This is what we do. We will split into three teams. One will remain outside here for backup and distress relief. A second will approach the door openly and use some sort of pretense we need to concocct. Selling tolit brushes or something. Get them to open the door The thrid group will need to be rendered invisible, and they will stelthfully infiltrate through the open door.
Our grogs will serve best for the first group, providing backup in case of hostile and/or hasty evacuation circumstances. If you see any major signs of trouble, cause a distraction of any sort. Set fire to the barn, open the goat pen, whatever.
The second group will have to be those who are the most silver tounged and glib amongst us. The third group would have to be the sneakiest amongst us, and able to fight their way out if need be.
So, any volunteers for a role? Shall we make nominations? Or do you wanna draw straws?

Error 503... I haven’t the time, nor the patience, posting this and that’s all folks.

Only 2. She concentrated on the last one.
JL also rightly made me remember that I was pretty dumb, since she didn't need the tunnel at all for this, she could have used the 2 spells directly :unamused:
I also realize that I forgot that she couldn't describe easily what she say while concentrating, though :unamused: What about we scrap the IT and say she just used the 2 spells and had them maintained?

The Silent Magus is a Personnal spell. Even then, to give it to the party... This is not that great of an idea, since it would effectively stop them from using their Voice range spells. Casting it on her alone would be useless. So she'll refrain.

I understand, yet this seems too harsh IMO, as effects like that are specially designed for this and thus easier to use. For exemple, by RAW, actually casting a "maintaining the demanding spell" (which require more than a few words and gestures) while concentrating on another spell is just an Int + Conc stress roll of 6+ (whereas the normal EF for this is way higher, at least 12 IIRC)

I’m not sure I’m comfortable with this. As I understand, this island is secluded, so this may seem strange, and tip of our opponents. This will also mean that we won’t be able to use a part of our forces, since they’ll be with the servants. Couldn’t we either incapacitate them, or enter through the top, like you did? If they have a way to warn their master that they have visitors, this may spell the doom of our endeavor.

Ludwig will talk. I will fight.

Ludwig shakes his head, and speaks in his broken Latin. "Verditius Caduceus is. Business magic items sell, studio here is showing to customers. Pretense of enter, obvious is." He mimics knocking on a door, then puts one hand on his hip and sashays about while singsonging, "Hi! Me customer is. Your wares show to me. I at studio look."

His face returns to its deadpan appearance. "But Hure will recognize me and Bernhard. We both must sneak. You magae strangers to Hure are, one of you talk." He points at Vibria, then snickers to Bernhard in German, "Why not this one, the two of them will be the best of friends. They can compare notes on being tarts and ruining men's lives!"

OK, two charges used.

But you're not casting the spell, you're activating a magic item. Come up with your trigger for the effect, and if it's plausibly easier than answering a yes/no question I'll reconsider the EF. (The problem with making really easy triggers is the danger of accidentally burning charges. Things you don't ever think about until you play a Verditius...!)

While the magi are discussing their plan, Melanthe appears to Arachne. So many dead, she laments. So many, yet so still... Where are their spirits? They should be restless, crying out for justice, for retribution!

In German: Nein. Pretty women don't trust other pretty women, especially Huren like Gemma. The two of them together would just turn into eine Schlacht von Katzen. Entertaining, but not productive. He pauses and looks at the tower. Though it's possible one would kill the other, which wouldn't be a Totalverlust.

Carmen smiles. Well, that disqualifies me then. :smiley:
The pretense is obvious it seems. Just act like you are shopping for magic items. We need a flying carpet and a couple of Swords of Quality. I think Estaban is best suited for it. I will back him up, let him do the talking but being ready with firepower if things go sour. Vibria and Arachne will infiltrate the place.
Who all do we have with us here? Roll call?
Carmen, Oscar, & Armado here. Carmen runs the distraction with Estaban, Oscar and Armando are grogs and will wait outside in case we need backup.

That was in German. If Carmen speaks German we have a serious problem. :slight_smile:

Bernhard looks less happy than usual. I go with Vibria. I did not segle to Fengheld on that schmutzig ship to sit on stones.

She doesn't. She just had a hunch as to what you were saying :mrgreen:
((actually, I mistakenly thought it was his accented Latin and realized my mistake when I reread the post))

Vibria is ready to be invisibled and go all sneaky-sneak. Or try, anyway. Actually, we have a Blanket of Invisibility, which would cover three, if they don't get too fresh.

Also, do we have a map, or was that just something that Vulcanus showed us before we left? If so, Vibria would like to look at it to get a better feel for how the place is laid out. Where people might be. Where treasure might be. Where Gemma might be. Where Gemma's treasure might be.

((Any chance that Vibria will pick up on Ludwig and Bernhard have been talking trash about Vibria more-or-less behind her back to her face? Per 0 + Folk Ken 0 + die roll of 4 = 4.))