Mission: Improbable

(Yup)

Carmen has started to notice a few of her limitations that she will need to rectify in the lab...
Now, to act recklessly on her own, or return to the group to discuss what she sees and what she thinks...
odds Reckless, evens Sensible....
1d10=8
Carmen flies back down to rejoin the group

[color=red]"Then who's Hure?" Vibria asks. She doesn't know why she cares, but she does.

Ludwig rolls his eyes. "Gemma ist Hure."

Carmen deloaks and makes a rally sign for every one to huddle together
(in a quiet voice)
[size=85]Okay, this tower has an unusual layout. It almost seems as if it is a tower within a tower. My first instinct was a double layered magical construction. But the place looks dusty and uninhabited inside, yet I could clearly hear sounds of people busy at their tasks preparing a meal or something. I suspect that the tower is a gateway to a regio or otherworldly realm.[/size]

[color=red]"Oh," Vibria says simply. It's not her fault she doesn't speak German. [color=red]"What can you tell me...us about her?"

[color=red]"Do you think it's as easy as just walking through a door," Vibria whispers back, [color=red]"or might it take something more complex than that to get to the regio, if that's what it is?"

One way to find out...
Using Ceremonial Casting, Carmen attempts to spont "InVi10 Detect Magic Regio" (base 3, +3m Sight). Just to see it there is a regio present.
Sta +0, Intellego 5, Vim 8, aura ?
die roll 1d10=7

Vibria doesn't see anything, but if a regio is entirely within the tower, she wouldn't be able to see it from outside (unless she has a way to see through stone, first).

Carmen, not Vibria.
And she isn't using a vision target spell, just a sight ranged spell cast at the area. So I suppose it would fail in that, for the tower may be too large a target or it may have magic resistance.
Just looked up Vim, size mods do not apply. The target is the regio, if there is one.
And that still won't work, for I cannot affect a target I cannot percieve. Need a sensory target spell instead...
hmmmm...
thinking

Ok, time to backtrack before any servant can see the spy.
Arachné will have her spider climb up, still describing to the others everything she sees.

Still careful to what she does, she'll say slowly I'll explore... a little more... and then try to see if I... can find a small... enough... Arcane Connection. Something my spider could... grab and bring back... We teleport inside... We should plan... around the servants... and maga.

Yeah, all these spells are quite tricky and headache-inducing
See, for exemple, Sense of Magical Power (Touch range, T: Ind, tells you if you're in an aura) or Scales of the magical Weight, compared to Piercing the Faerie Veil (Personnal, Hearing).

As far as I can tell, mostly, ranged, individual intellego spells give you info on something you target (a pile of vis, an herb), while personnal, sensory spells give you info on everything that's within range of your sense.
And even that is tough. For exemple, as I see it, while Scales of the Magical Weight is ok (You target a pile of vis you're touching and perceving), Sense of Magical Power should probably be Personnal, Target Touch. This is a mess, and mostly the reason why I tend to use Sensory spells the most. You can't go wrong there.

Carmen... I don't know it a Sight, Individual spell would work. Really, I just can't tell. All this gives me a Brain Haemorrage...
All I can tell is that a Sight, Touch would, though (and this just happens to be as hard as Vision target).

(Bernhard would answer, but I don't know anything about her to tell you. Ludwig will have to handle this. Hopefully his explanation will include whether or not she's a maga. :slight_smile:)

When Carmen starts casting her spell, Bernhard leans over to Vibria. Was ist regio?

[color=red]"It's like a little pocket of the world," Vibria whispers back, [color=red]"outside of our world, that's attuned to Magic usually, or sometimes Faerie, or even the Infernal." (Yeah, she's kind of dumbing it down for him.)

From Bernhard's POV...

Bernhard knew Gemma was going to be trouble as soon as Vulc hired her to be his Venditor. Business and pleasure and all that. She's one of those women who has full knowledge of just how beautiful she is, and while she is not vain, she uses her beauty like a weapon to manipulate men. She is not a maga. She has the blood of the fae within her, though, and she is not entirely mundane, though Bernhard has never seen her do anything overtly magical, but he's sure she has bewitched people because she's a viper in disguise.

Gemma made Vulc very happy for a few years, as long as she got what she wanted from him, and about a year and a half ago, they started fighting all the time. Gemma moved out as soon as she found a new meal ticket, but Vulc had to leave Fengheld anyway because he couldn't stand the sight of the place he shared with her. Obviously he didn't really love her, though, he just fell prey to her manipulations.

Gemma is clever, and she always maintains the appearance of acting kind and sweet. But Bernhard heard the horrible things she'd say when angry (nevermind that Vulc said just as horrible of things-- she drove him to it!), and that sweet little lost girl act doesn't fool him for one second. Nope. He knows the truth: she's selfish, manipulative, heartless and cruel.

fightmaster can choose to relay that in Bernhard's broken Latin, however he wishes :slight_smile:

The Limit of Arcane Connections is still in effect, at least for this adventure, even if not for this saga as a whole. If Arachne is on the third floor of the tower, where she can manipulate the spider's movement, then she will have to communicate with the others down below by some magical means. If she is down below, her spider is immobile when it is out of range of her perception. Please let me know where your character is.

If she came back down with Carmen, then she can have scoped out the area well enough to see that getting a teleportable Arcane Connection would require magic; it is not of mundane construction where some loose stone bits might come off here or there, it is a tower magically constructed from SOLID stone, without need for mortar. Even so, teleporting everyone in doesn't gain you any advantage that flying into the balcony wouldn't.

As the scent of ozone still lingers from the magical storm, inspiration strikes Carmen. If she casts a version of Piercing the Magic Veil at a target of Smell, the spell is only Lv10 and is not impeded by vision; the bigger the regio, the more it'll stink.

After casting the spell successfully, Carmen's olfactories are immediately assaulted by the overwhelming scent of gingerbread and blood.

(My only concern is it might not be dumbed down enough. :slight_smile: It's enough that he's not going to bother asking follow-up questions, anyway.)

Herr Gott. Vibria could be Gemma all over again, at least from Bernhard's perspective. So...

She is...Hexe...ah...vitch? Not maga. He wiggles his fingers. Magic to men...he points at his eyes, then Vibria's. Stop thinking...follow her. Do not trust. She is...bose...evil. He ends with a glare at Vibria, unleashing the full effect of his Piercing Gaze. I'm not sure if this situation calls for Leadership (intimidation) or Folk Ken, so I rolled both.

Leadership: Pre 0 + Leadership 4 + specialty 1 + Piercing Gaze 3 + roll 9 = 17
Folk Ken: Per 1 + Folk Ken 3 + roll 0, no botch = 4

So it's possible Vibria is terrified, but Bernhard won't know until she incinerates him. :slight_smile:

Vibria is Judged Unfairly... She'd probably be just like Gemma, but WORSE :slight_smile:

Shall I take it that "gingerbread and blood" is indicitive of the scent of a regio?
Arachne has Second Sight, and she has that special power that lets her craft items charged with spell power or her supernatural abilities.
:smiley:
Now we just need her to come into the rally session here and we can coordinate a plan together.

Yep, I imagine Regios are at least as unique as people, so each one has its own distinctive smell as far as the spells are concerned.

There's no need to wait on anyone's particular abilities. If the servants can get in and out of the regio, then so can a group of magi.