Movies and TV series Inspiration

Oh, I remember watching those on TV when I came home after school!

In the mid '90s or thereabouts, I played a Discworld game ran by Terry Pratchett at a convention. It was "system-less" (i.e. TP made it up on the fly) and worked pretty well. You made up a character by saying his name, describing what he looked like, and saying something that he was good at and something he hated (or was bad at). Everything was resolved by narration and "rolling a D6". Plot was loosely based on Interesting Times, which was apparently written but unpublished at the time. Oh, and to be a player, you needed to bid in an auction with real money!

Nice! I have always had the idea of narrating a mini saga based on the plot in Good Omens, but have never come around to do it. I remember crying out loud from laughter when reading the drunkard conversation about dolphins and brains ("the sea! the sea full of brains!"). I pictured both authors as the characters there.

6:35 onwards
youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... aoiuWQ2BUo

Now I need to design a fae place adventure or covenant like that

Xavi

Neat idea for a covenant indeed. Hadn´t seen that one before.

You know what... I cannot decide whether to tell you how lucky and awesome you are for having experienced this, or proceed with such a hair curling volley of curses and swears that I would and should be band for this board forever. :laughing:

That's just a joke though. Wow how amazing that must have been. THAT is a story worth telling and remembering. I cannot imagine anything more awesome than that. I mean I suppose if I sat and thought I might come up with something or someone I would want to have that experience with, but truly having Terry Pratchett play a game with you, totally on the fly and for fun? That is what RPGs are about. THAT is why what we do is so much better than watching a movie or going to waste a night out. Storytelling is such a huge creative undertaking and is so rewarding.

You are a fortunate fellow Richard Love I envy you.

Oh, and may you live in interesting times. :mrgreen:

You hadn't seen Merlin before? Oh my! Watch the rest as well, not just those few minutes.

All pretty good:

I think I'll add:

Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King (also many alternate names) imdb.com/title/tt0387541/

Earthsea (even though it isn't up to par with the book, it's still enjoyable) imdb.com/title/tt0407384/

Legend of the Seeker (Bruce Spence as Zeddicus was the inspiration for my latest character) imdb.com/title/tt0844653/

Camelot (a weird take on Arthurian legend, but an interesting one. I still prefer Chretien de Trois literature) imdb.com/title/tt1672189/

Try watching "Fate/Stay Night" if you want what i can almost guarantee is even weirder version of Arthur. :mrgreen:
Unless you cheat i promise it will take a while to connect the dots.

Read the books instead, the TV series is badly messed up(character names are there, sometimes the characters as well, but then i pretty much go crosseyed in confusion way too often).

Have seen a bunch of Merlin movie variants, just not that specific one.

No ones mentioned 'Pillars of the Earth'? I know it was a book, but the TV series was pretty good.

And an out there concept - a Winter Covenant with a suspected diabolist. Base the magi and Companions on the characters and relationships from Tinker, Tailer, Soldier, Spy.

SJE

Pillars was terrific and really gives some elements of the shifting alliances as well as the complications of fealty. Good call.

I wonder if they are going to make World Without End a "talky" as well. Would not mind seeing that as a miniseries.

Since we mentioned a book.... new thread.

Phineas & Ferb - check the coincidence of this youtube.com/watch?v=EjXTwwxMgXw with the Great Tower HP chapter.
And the Dr Doof is the perfect example of Enemy or Plagued by Magical Animal, and too many Personality Flaws.

Better than movie and TV, you've got reality!

dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... parts.html

Just noticed this wonderful thread, and wanted to throw in some suggestions of my own.

Aguirre: The Wrath of God. Several hundred years too late, but a wonderful examination of a doomed expedition into the heart of the Amazon. I keep meaning to run something like this at GenCon. Maybe next year?

Ivanhoe, the 1997 TV mini-series. It's Sir Walter Scott, so the historical accuracy is debatable, but the feeling for the period is wonderful, and the joust and melee are handled very well.

The Crusades. Terry Jones (of Monty Python fame) created this four part documentary series about the first four Crusades. Informative, tragic and darkly humorous at the same time, he did a few more similar series that I have yet to see.

And everyone should read John Norwich's three-volume history of the Byzantine Empire, especially if you're running a game in the Theban Tribunal (it's one of the books mentioned in the bibliography, actually). He's also done books on the history of the Papacy and Venice that I need to get my hands on pronto!

The series about the "Barbarians" is excellent. Really smashes down on a lot of myths.

Well, Ars rarely uses "perfectly historic" setting either so... Good enough i think.

I have the book on venice by Norwich. Great and inspirational stuff. Loads of info for a long running saga. I kept thinking "banker covenant!" and "verditius arsenal!" when he mentioned several passages. Plenty of scenes that can easily be converted into stories as well.

Xavi

An immensly vast regio, whose exact limits are unknown, commonly referred to as simply "Fairy" because of its strangeness.
Those who go there sometimes disappear without a trace, others comes back changed, while others might come back from the regio more than once.
If you walk the same path back and forth between two points every day, you may see the same or almost same things beside the path time after time, or they may be completely different every time you pass. The place is fixed physically, so the same shortest route between two points is always the same, but the landscape the route passes could be a forest one day, an ocean the next week, and a tall mountain the day after that.

The place seems to draw occasional people from the outside world and the regio is sparsely but quite constantly populated. Many people find their dreams alive there, far too many others find their nightmares equally alive. Rarely, creatures spawned from either venture outside the regio, but rarely for long, eventually dissolving into nothing. As far as anyone knows at least.

The area is very rich in Vis, but bringing Vis with you to outside the regio is chancy business, much of it simply does not exist in the rest of the world. The same is true for magical animals.
Inhabitants of the regio tend to be highly inquisitive and curious about all who dare enter it. Many, especially if they have no reason for curiousity tend to be hostile and dangerous.

There are telltale evidence that there is an indiginous people living in the regio, but noone has ever managed to even see one. At least that they know off. Attempts at figuring out the regio has met with complete failure, tests to determine the prevailing aura constantly shows different results or even just outright fails to work.
The common assumption is that it is the home of some powerful faerie, or perhaps a whole species of such.
It is a creepy and dangerous place behind the nice, calm and beautiful front.

Ok, Ars-ified writeup of the planet Fairy from "Sentou Yousei Yukikaze" (Yousei basically means Fairy btw), some slight changes to get a better fit with the gameworld overall.
Behind the scenes, most of the people in the regio isn´t. They´re constructs of the lifeform that exists there, the constructs retain what they took from the real people absorbed and copied, they just add an additional, mostly overriding motivation. Well, that´s my take on it, if you want a second opinion, watch the series(it´s just a handful of episodes).

If you wanted some slightly more eastern influence on your Saga with some idea of epic battles and magic.

imdb.com/title/tt0249371/ Asoka
or
imdb.com/title/tt0097810/ Mahabharata

maybe even red cliff imdb.com/title/tt0425637/

Not a great film admittedly but kingdom of Heaven imdb.com/title/tt0320661/

King Arthur also has some good moments imdb.com/title/tt0349683/

A

For those who speak French... Kaamelott. :laughing:

One question, i am creating some species from Doctor Who to my Blog on AM rules. I've finished the Daleks, one Furies Demon type. But i have problems with the Weeping Angels, i've made them Faeries but i am not sure: Hybrid or Humanoid Faeries?