Mundane beast as a familiar

I'm looking for rules and don't see any.

I have 2 questions.

Do they gain might, like a might of 0?

Do they become intelligent over time?

I don't think they can be familliars.

They need inherent magic pg104 of core book.

You could make one as a magical animal using a CrAn Ritual.

They get Int -3 and thats it.
CrMe rituals could make them smarter.

Look at the next sentence:

Notice it doesn't say "must" or similar. Why not if that is the intent of the prior sentence? Any being with a Supernatural Ability is tied to a realm according to the core book. So an animal with magical Wilderness Sense, for example, should qualify.

No, they wouldn't gain Might. But they gain Int -3, the ability to learn as a human (thereby bypassing Restricted Learning), speaking the mage's languages, probably an extended lifespan, the benefits of the cords, and whatever they can use from powers in the bond.

1 Like

Ok, I was doing it right then.
The mundane version has a supernatural power.
I was wondering about the intelligence mostly. The animal has a cunning of +1.

That motivates many magi to look for magic animals with human intelligence as familiars.

Cheers

Do you see where it is that it says specifically-3 as intelligence? The RoP:M book is vague and seems to imply The Magic Realm makes things smarter, Cunning just becomes Int for beasts of Virtue... but... nothing on Beasts of Legend.

What the player is arguing for I'm inclined to agree. That a familiar over time would become smarter just like the Magus would adopt personality traits etc.

The modification to study totals etc. When the two are together I see as a way to represent them becoming more alike. But the part where the creature becomes more intelligent, I don't know.

I know it seems silly. Why would a magus do that? My thoughts are most magi get familiars of a certain range of power, but there are the occasional Magi that bind a young True Dragon or a Phoenix.

If that is the case one should assume the opposite is true, if the average power of familiars chosen follow a standard deviation, that occasionally a magus binds their mundane pet.

Reading the rules on familiars, the descriptive passages remind me of earlier editions and other games. The idea behind a familiar. The language referring to a familiar living longer only applies to familiars that would age.

I know it's begging the question, but to me it implies binding animals that aren't Beasts of Virtue. I know RoP:M was written after...

As stated above: ArM5 p.105 The Bound Familiar. RoP:M doesn't matter here.

Cheers

It says in the familiar binding section of the main book, IIRC. As far as a magus is concerned, a familiar with Intelligence -3 is WAY more useful than Cunning +3, since the latter can't actually roll when intelligence is required, though there is some overlap. Cunning can be trained, intelligence can be taught.

I would argue that the familiar would become smarter over time just like the magus would become smarter over time: Through rituals to increase intelligence, or thorugh experience to increase relevant abilities. They also will adopt personality traits of each other, but I don't think intelligence counts as a personality trait. I think there are other ways to manipulate your familiar into becoming a more powerful badass, but I can't remember any off hand, I don't have a lot of experience with it.

Although the largest section of magical beasts, I think the beasts of virtue are not the only magical beasts around; The wolves of Coeris aren't 'of Virtue', and the bloodlines of magical cats that the Jerbitons enjoy are not 'of virtue' either, I think.

I must have glossed over that paragraph a hundred times.

Folk witches can bind non magical animals as familiars, as per HMRE page 42, but the bond is more limited.