Mythic Tower

ArM doesn't use the Roman Pace ... the ArM pace is "about a yard" or equally "about a metre" (if you are modern, but even less paradigmatic than the yard)

It used to be 5 ft, but some reality checks reulted in the Arm5 pace being revised...

Hmm well that's a point on which I, personally, would have to take issue with the writer of that particular conceptualisation. Measurements are what they are, not a matter of being whatever one arbitrarily wishes them to be for his/her own convenience.

A pace (~1.46m) is a concept that would have been commonly understood in the medieval paradigm as it had been employed widely by the Romans in all manner of construction.

Might as well call a foot an inch or a cubit a yard if measurements can just be reinvented as one wishes.

Measurements can just be invented as one wishes :smiley: Although I do agree that the Roman pace seems like an excellent unit to use in ArM.

I'm used to the metric system, so measuring things in paces, pounds, or so on is a mess for me. Regardless, I'm pretty sure ArM5 actually defined "pace" in a round-about way in one of its pages... perhaps the discussion of Aquam Individuals, or the near the size table... sloth parma, but it's there somewhere.

Well, since I have already posted the metric equivalent of the Roman pace you shouldn't have any trouble extrapolating as need be from there. :wink:

For other measurement conversions you can always use these handy online tools that I use...

teaching-english-in-japan.ne ... rsion/feet

Every type of standard to metric conversion you should need is at that site, just use the menu on the left side to get the appropriate converter. :slight_smile:

Given that the game design seems to assume a roughly meter/yard-ish 'pace', and magi can already manage insanely huge spells with that measurement, I'm just going to call that distance a 'hermetic pace' rather than increase it to match the roman pace. My in-game justification will be that, as a unit of distance that shows up a lot in base individuals in hermetic magic, they decided to use it as a unit of measurement, and because of the roman influence on the Order they called it a 'pace', despite the mismatch in actual distance.

As, historically, units of measurement have been far less standardized than they are now and often had regional and cultural variations, I have no issue with giving the Order a sort of cultural variation on the meaning of a 'pace', based on their magic.