Mythic Tower

Well if we assume that the great library is also created with this spell you need to through in a basement. The great library is 7 storys + Basement so there is a posibiblity thet there is some flexability. I may be wrong, and please corect me if I am, I don't have the book here at work with me. Also as FluffySquirel said, don't forget that foundation.

FluffySquirrel:
Thanks! You opened my eyes. It's a quite easy calculation.
And I can get my big lab. :slight_smile:

The best way to do things if you really wanted a 100 foot tall tower would be to just cast a MuIm on the outer walls (with target part), to make it look like a much more reasonable 40 foot tower or something.. then hide the stairs to the higher levels with another MuIm or such. That way, from the outside, it'll look like a mere 40 foot tower, but if you know where the secret entrance to the higher levels are, you can use them normally, cause the MuIm only affects the walls..

Unsure whether or not that would make the walls higher up technically see through.. but that would be quite cool, you'd have a room seemingly floating in the air.. probly be nice for aurum spec ^^

Just don't forget a ReAn.. so birds don't run into it ^^

Warping and vis costs might be a problem with that approach. Underground rooms might be easier to deal with, depending on the ground materials, at least if space is the issue.

why would you care if the tower warps? the effect isn't on you.
the tower is already a circle just use ring duration.

Depending on the effects of the warping, you might care very, very much. I like the idea of making the tower look smaller than it really is. It sure is easier than trying to make the inside bigger than it looks. :stuck_out_tongue:

better not. it is dangerous to use circle target for such fundamental stuff. It is OK for minor thiongs, like living commodities (heat, lighting, decorative stuff....) but not for something that igff broken can mean that you have to rebuild the whole covenant from scratch. At least I would not do that. A circle tower would be the first target in a wizard's war for me. Not much problems breaking a terram circle, even under a level 40 aegis, really.

Cheers,

Xavi

FluffySquirrel:
ReAn is a good idea. I actually want to seek such a spell trough the redcap. My magus is not so good inventing it. :slight_smile:
I want a roofgarden so I want to create a spring on the roof.
I must thinking a lot yet how to defend it. But my SG is not a munchkin diplomacy is more important in his stories. I have many ingame years to plan my future lab yet.

Rafael:
My current lab is actually underground. But it's unhealthy and I want a very healthy lab. I play a Jerbiton and a surface lab would be better to him and his family. He's not a mole. :wink:
Magic tower cause no warping because it's created by a momentary ritual.

I can understand the desire to live above ground-perhaps using the underground areas more for storage, and the upper areas for living?

And the Tower would definitely be a momentary effect, but would destroying or altering it's appearance be one? I didn't think that was the case.

Xavi.. it's not really a -great- argument.. cause there's nothing stopping someone who's determined enough just casting a room target PeVi on your lab if they really wanted too anyway ^^

Circle towers are still handy for making lasting spell effects on them

Indeed. I simply would not build my home on a structure that can be dispelled. Crazier mages might think otherwise.

Cheers,

Xavi

Those that build their labs on a cloud, for example? (as per a particularly vivid Covenants option)

Even Yvaine of Stardust is skeptical about staying on clouds for lengthy periods of time. :smiley:

Structure that is being dispelled?.. .. what?

The ritual of the mystic tower makes a perfectly mundane tower, that certainly can't be dispelled.. and.. can't see any reference to it being made on clouds or such, so a little confused where that came from.

The dispelling I was on about would just stop your tower from looking like a smaller tower.. it doesn't really overly affect the tower in any way whether you used a circle or otherwise.

Making the Mystic tower as a Ciercle/Ring spell. Mentioned earlier in the thread.

Xavi

I can't see it anywhere.. .. I only saw people mentioning -using- a circular tower for circle/ring spells

Despite subterrenean labs are more defendable in theory the lack of sunshine makes people depressive. I don't want this to my magus. And as I said I want a very healthy lab and underground lab gets a -1 to health score.
Two of our magi live in the surface since decades so my senses say no danger here. But being sure maybe I will build it only after the Mongol invasion. :slight_smile:

Sorry, I see already.

Is it possible to defend the tower with some ReTe or Vi effect?

Hmm. Use ReIg/ReAu spells to bring in sunlight and fresh air?

I'm always tempted to rule that magic can't create real enough sunlight, but that could just be me (and my unhappy winters). I'd certainly would increase warping or some other negative trait.

A pace which I am assuming is a Roman Pace is described by Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pace_(unit_of_length) and the Encyclopedia Brittanica http://www.britannica.com/ebc/article-9372132 as 4.84 feet.

So, 10000 cubic paces = 1,133,799 cubic feet,
and 1000 cubic paces = 113,380 cubic feet,
and 100 cubic paces = 11,338 cubic feet.

Quoting Brutus ex Verditius,

So we can see that 100 cubic paces is way too small and 10,000 cubic paces is way too big.

Changing the size of the tower, of which I am only going to do to the height, "eats up" the extra stone.

Circular >>>> 160 feet tall
Square >>>> 126 feet tall.

Therefore, my conclusion is that the spell is one magnitude higher than need be. Remember, you can create a solid tower of stone with this spell if you wish. Eliminating the interior space can be considered "elaborate design".

I know this isn't perfect, but it justifies, to me anyways, the lowering of the spell by one magnitude. It creates "enough" stone to make the tower at 1000 cubic paces. Maybe one of the admin's will look at this and add it to the errata list (which I dutifully check and was unfortunately absent for this spell).

P.S. I don't know why the Wikipedia url is not showing up correctly, but I am sure you all know how to cut and paste.

It's somehow arbitrarily small and not strictly by the guidelines.

Applying the guidelines really strictly gave it a final level of about 15, IIRC, if the guidelines were made to accommodate all the other CrTe spells left over from earlier editions at something like their established level. Level 15 is too low for "conjure a covenant from nothing". It needs to be a ritual, so it can't be sponted, but a magus with CrTe 0 could learn and cast it at character generation. (He could probably learn it later, too: Int + MT + Aura 15 isn't hard to get.) That's simple did not feel right.

So the level is fudged.

1 Like