Need a Ride? (1244)

Oh, you are fine :slight_smile: I am just going to give you some crap in character from time to time :laughing:

The Woad means no offense to archers, he knows it requires both skill and concentration. But as he prefers a face to face fight, he feels arrows are meant for hunting food.
Magic working at a distance is in the Woad's repertiore, all of his spells can be cast at anyone within shouting distance, or flexed up to affect as far has he can see. Convenient, but they do become harder to cast with any significant force behind them.
About arrows, the Woad means that incoming arrows can be circumvented in a number of ways. One way is enhanced perception, in order to evade them. That could also work on spears he thinks, and a metal based version can be very handy against swords and mass weapons. How about an Animal version, to help against the bite, gore, and claws of animal-creatures? The Woad would very much like to learn those, but needs to brush up on the Art of Intellego, as this has been neglected.
Wards is another way, but as the Woad has a preference for Perdo, right now anyway, he thinks it would be a nice effect if arrows were destroyed. He does not want momentary effects, because these require active casting, and fast-casting as well. That is...difficult and perhaps not worth the effort. Such an effect needs to be repeating itself over a longer duration, and the Woad does not know of any spells like that. Perhaps this is also needlessly complicated.
And as for the plan, the Woad was informed by Cidito that he was to keep the opposition busy. But knowing the underlying objectives he could have helped further, had he known what or where he needed to draw the attention away from. Not that it was needed here, since Cidito has some impressive skills of stealth and discretion. The Woad stands corrected. Also, he is used to tests and challenges being performed.
Have Captain Johan's issues been resolved to his satisfaction, or can we do more?

There is no immediate danger, and Cidito recovered Veronica's Jewelry Box. There's a mystery there that I don't have an answer to. I can explain more on the way to Andorra
Many discussions can be had along the way, including his apology for failing to share intelligence in a timely manner. Roberto speaks with the air of a military veteran. His concepts and use of jargon treat magic more like a tool than a mystery. He speaks more like a grizzled sergeant than a master magus.

Honestly, I am not that type of guy. The plan was kind of spontaneous. I should be less reckless, but I was certain that success required swift action and confident that you could handle yourself. Which you did.
I took to the air as quickly as I could to try to locate Black Agnes, initially thinking I would return and we would work out a plan for a boarding attack together. I was able to home in on the Box with the key.
I will explain the stupid box later. Just follow me here. :laughing:
All I could get with a spont was a general direction. It was a stroke of luck that we were so close! I also was surprised to discover he had such a small crew, and most of them were mindless corpses.
That's when I came up with my plan. I gave Cidito as much information as I could. I have a tendency to think while in action. It is a virtue and a flaw.
:smiley:So yeah, you are being tested. But not by me. God is testing you, by putting frustrating old goats like me on this earth
:laughing:

The Woad is reasonably satisfied by how things went, he has some things he could train. He is glad Captain Johan’s problems have been resolved.
Once in Andorra the Woad expects a need to prove himself before Roberto’s sodales at the covenant, to show his use.
As he hears it, the Pyrenees is crawling with both drakes and ogres. The Woad would like to look into that. And also to train with the turb in order to develop a fighting style with them, taking advantage of the Woad’s magic.
Scouting and defence is what the Woad expects to offer as his services.

Maybe it’s time for Roberto and the Woad to arrive at Andorra?
Before we can go chasing across Africa for a lost temple, the Woad needs to arrive and formally apply for membership

I'll write up something tonight after work.

Don’t rush yourself too much Mark, you sound a lot more busy than me right now.
This year is a real “employee Christmas “ as we call it In Denmark. Meaning with just 5 vacation days I’m actually off from work from work from December 21st untill January 6th.

You have nothing to prove. I saw how you can handle yourself. I am vouching for you. Much as Santiago did the same reccomending you to me.
Speaking of which... (Roberto rummages around in his bag, and pulls out a horse reign)
This is for you. It belongs to Santiago. He mentioned in his letter that you have an interest in horses. You may have mentioned something about horses to him at some time. He has this fixation about it. He had always hoped that I would become a horseman. Back then I had the normal magical air effects of the Gift So I just never got into it. He commissioned a Verditius to craft this rein, and lent it to me in hopes that I would grow to like it. I know how to ride, I just don't like horses that much. Go figure. My father was a caballero villano. He wasn't a noble, more like a mercenary horseman, but he had status.
I digress. This magic rein. Pretty simple item. You put it on the horse and you have control of the beast as long as you hold the rein. I mean, more than the reign is enchanted. The chompy bit you put on his face is part of it. All one thing. It doesn't come apart.

Ogres and Drakes. I've heard plenty of stories, but I have never seen any. I mainly stick to the islands. I help them out by teaming up for expeditions and such.
The drake thing is complicated, from what I can gather. Those found within a certain radius of the keep are fair game, but up in the mountains they have zones. Some spots where it is accepted to hunt, and other areas that are off limits for hunting. Three of them are related to one of the magi. I have been told that they know how to take human form. I'll introduce you to Vibria, a fellow Flambeau. You may have heard of her. She fought in that Dragon war in Transylvania.

At some point in the journey, things get a bit weird. Sailing off the coast near Navarre, you see the Pyrenees rising in the distance off in the East horizon. Roberto takes to the carpet and scouts the coast. The ship drops anchor and waits for sunset. Roberto explains that he was looking for an optimal entry point so as to go unseen, for at night the ship takes to the air and sails over the mountains.
And it does.
Use your imagination to contemplate the Woad's reaction, and how amazed he is by the sight of the mountains from this point of view. I have babbled on too much already. The long and the short of it is that you reach Andorra. Close to it. Johan wants to avoid civilized areas, so Roberto takes you by carpet the rest of the way.

Mark, you do not babble. Like me, when writing things I tend to go on and on.
But seeing as it serves as a mini intro for the Woad into the saga it has a purpose.

The Woad has been nervous, but stoic about it, during the sea voyage . He is not used to the ocean, he has only seen it from land.
The Pyrenees fascinate him, due to his connection with rock. He knows mountains from Ireland, but not this majestically. He is also nervous about flying over them.

The Woad is grateful for all your help, Roberto. And also for this magnificent device lent to him. With this opportunity in Hibernia the Woad might have applied himself as a horseman. Although Hibernia is so small that a magus can walk anywhere within a reasonable time frame- well a fit one anyway - riding a horse does have advantages.
In Hibernia being a good neighbour is what keeps our integrity. Do your next man a favour, and he is likely to help you when need it. And he is unlikely to stab you in the back. With the recent influx of continental magi who eschew this philosophy it is more important than ever.
The Woad brings this mentallity with him to Andorra. And frankly it isn’t a whole lot different from House Flambeau’s magi being comrades in arms.

I assume a new thread will follow with the Woad being presented before the ruling magi of Andorra?
And then off on adventure?

To close this out, I am awarding you (the player) 3 points of Fortune. The character gets the magical reign (detailed below).
I have not looked at the stats for this object in years, and now I know why I never use it. It will inflict severe Warping on a horse!

Rein of the Equestrian Magus
Lesser Enchanted Device, 4 pawns
.....When Roberto first came to Novus Mane, he rode on a horse using a magical reign, given to him by Santiago. His instructions were to turn the rein over to Aelianus. In turn, Santiago commissioned and paid Aelianus to make another magical rein. Aelianus was given the original to keep, along with the Lab Text to construct it (these notes also teach the Form & Effect bonus of +5 to tame/ride horses. Roberto has never seen this lab text and thinks the original rein had an expiry. It doesn't. These are gifts for Aelianus.

ReAn40 Command the Mounted Beast:
R: Touch, D: Concentration, T: Ind
.....The rein is worn by the horse and activates automatically, as this is the triggering condition. This effect allows the one who holds the rein to control the horse and ride it, even in battle; despite any defects in the mount or the effects of the Gift. The riders scores in Animal Handling and Riding are used as normal, as you need to know when and what to command the horse to do.
(Base 15, +1M Touch, +1M Conc, +5L Item Maintains Concentration, 10 L Unlimited Use)