new magic spell(noahs tounge)

noahs tounge
effect-you can speak with the animals!
regomentum(animal)
duration-moon
target-self
range-self
tell me what you think of this spell & how it might be improved or used in a adventure.

First, there is no "Target:Self" in 5th ed - it's Target:Individual, one "individual" mind. (Minor, but an easy place to start, just to keep everyone clear on that.) Range:Personal, and you're there.

Then, "rego" with mentem controls the mind - this isn't control, it's giving it a diff ability, a "property it could not naturally have", and an unnatural one. So it's... Muto.

However, that's not enough.

Understanding animals would be Intellego - that's easy enough, very similar to Thoughts Within Babble (InMe). But talking to them is not so easy. Either you have to cast an Int spell on the animal so they can understand you, or "Muto" that knowledge into your own brain - and I'm not sure that's possible in canon.

Altho' you cannot (afaik) cast a spell to speak French (not "understand", but "say it out loud"), it's a Base 10 InAn Guidelines to "speak with Animals" (not just "understand"). That's where you want to start.

Here is the spell you want (adapted from an earlier edition)

InAn20 Tongue of the Beast
R: Eye, D: Conc, T: Ind
This spell simply allows you to speak with the target beast.
(Base 10, +1 Eye, +1 Conc)

maybe,but I want to be able to speak to all animals in sight,not just one at a time.

Try this then...
InAn45 Talk to the Animals
R: Sight, D: Sun, T: Group
(Base 10, +3 Sight, +2 Sun, +2 Group)

It does bring up the question of how those spells that allow speech with rocks and trees really work.

Why use sight on a spell that is about using ones voice?
You can reduce this to level40

or

increase goup size to 100 animals at a time (for those antsy conversations)

That works too. But he said he wanted to speak to all animals in sight, so my mind naturally drifted to Sight range.

thanks!

Personally though, sight is not good for talking. I would save 5 levels and make it target hearing (+2). This way all the animals he can hear (and thus can hear him) can be spoken to.

They are rather odd in many ways yes.