New Tribunal of Iberia book is out!

Remember that there is also a infobox about the Iberian military orders (p. 57).

4 Likes

I would have to agree that little would be lost for a Saga set in 1220 by reducing the Mythic History chapter to pp. 11-18 (The Three Religions) plus pp. 49-59 (The Almohade Dynasty). That's 19 out of 49 pages (40%).

However, the authors have intended to provide material to be able to set a Saga in any earlier time period of the Hermetic Order. If that is not your interest, then it is probably the case that large chunks of the book are useless to you. But I believe that ability to play at any time in Iberian Hermetic history is valued by the Spanish Ars Magica community (who made the book possible).

So, this book might have been 2/5 as long as a Tribunal book, coming in at about 140 pages rather than 340, had it not been made in Spain.

2 Likes

I will say this isn't a great argument because the Spanish books are always bigger than their original, the Spanish Core has 100 pages more than the english Core, but no new information.

Spanish book are that big because of the art and the font size, so I really believe if I take any Tribunal book and put them on the same font size, distribution and give them the same art probably they are around the 300 pages [mostly because Finis Terrae really has a looooot of art].

So, I really believe that it being made on Spain has no relation with its size. And in fact if we cut the Covenants [only leaving those with have a chapter on "culture and goverment", so eliminating all the filling Covenants] and the story before the Almohade Dynasty we have a book even smaller than a normal Tribunal book.

But for a better resume: What I'm being critict is about how this book isn't a satisfying tribunal book. It can be a good book, but the book is a really big missing opportunity because if I want to run a Covenant on Provencal, I can do it just as good with only the Tribunal Book, but if I want to runt a Covenant on Iberia now I not only need this tribunal book, but a history book study from my own part.

OK interesting, thanks for that. Given I wrote the Jinn chapter in TCatC, would be interested in how jinn are handled and if there are any example jinni?

5 Likes

Question for the contributors... are there any cut-files, stray concepts and ideas that didn't make it into the final product that might say appear if not on individual blogs, then perhaps in Sub Rosa or similar (preferably also in English LOL)?

1 Like

I can't compare with TCatC, but Hermetic Sahir are stated to be separated from and not on good diplomatic terms with Levantine Sahir. All known (ahem) Sahir in Iberia are Hermetic and they aren't found elsewhere. The Order of Suleiman is rumoured to exist. Hermetic Sahir are stated to enter into contracts with jinn which entails mutual obligation and so also binds the Sahir, whereas Levantine Sahir are supposed to be able to coerce jinn, a power that Hermetic Sahir covet. Jinn can follow Sahir voluntarily, and Sahir can botch jinn summonings or negotiations. Outside of Muslim lands, Sahir can interact with genii loci with some difficulties stemming from cultural/religious unfamiliarity.

Hermetic Sahir have a Minor Magical Focus on jinn and a Major Virtue unlocks a Sihr skill used to interact with jinn.

Sahir first infer the power of a jinn, then summon them, then negotiate a contract. Relatively weak jinn can be subdued. Sahir should know the Realm of Power a jinn is related to, particularly to avoid demons posing as jinn.

I don't think there is a statted jinn in the book. It defers to RoP:M for details on jinn.

2 Likes

OK so sounds like a reprint of the HoH:S Ex Misc rules.

Pity there are no statted jinn, I'm always interested to see what people come up with actually from the various folklore sources and in tCatC I tried to provide ways to reskin the presented jinn in different ways. If you're interested in more on sahir (an Jinn), then tCatC is a great resource - Erik's rules for non-Hermetic sahir are amazing. There were some Mystery ideas that didn't make it in, not only for non-Hermetic sahir but also for Hermetic sahir to capture some of the older tradition.

1 Like

Scratch that, there is a 2-page spread [pp. 194-5] on a Jinn tied to an obscure Covenant in the Monegros area North-East of Zaragoza.

There is also Aegis, the spanish-language fanzine. :slight_smile: (should there be any cut material in search of a new home. Although we'd be happy to help at Sub Rosa, but I don't know if I want the english translation of spanish cut material to get in front of the cart of an english translation of the whole book. XD )

1 Like

There is indeed a statted up djinni, yes, the terrible creature living in the wooded slopes of Mons Niger, which is also the location of the namesake covenant. It has a quite interesting story, the details of which are best left unrevealed. :wink:

Question for the contributors... are there any cut-files, stray concepts and ideas that didn't make it into the final product that might say appear if not on individual blogs, then perhaps in Sub Rosa or similar (preferably also in English LOL)?

Most of the additional written material was unlocked during the crowdfunding. (When compared to a typical Tribunal book by Atlas, which is about 120.000 words-long, Finis Terrae is 280.000). However, as has already been mentioned, derived material may be published in future issues of Aegis, the Spanish fanzine devoted to Ars Magica.

2 Likes

@Kuni_Mizomura, your number has been called :wink:

3 Likes

Who, me?
I am absolutely innocent. You can believe me, I swear on Tytalus, founder of my house. Have the quaesitors left yet?
The truth is that it would be great to be able to translate Aegis magazine from Spanish into English, as I hope will happen soon with Finis Terrae, but I think that's the job of a native speaker. My "mastery" of English doesn't allow me to dare to do so much.
But, if I can find a willing Ars Magica fan who is fluent in both languages, I would start talking to the authors of the Aegis articles to get their permission.

6 Likes

Is there an English version of this book and is this an official book or fan made?

2 Likes

There is no English version (which is why I am reading very very slowly and wishing I'd studied Spanish harder) and this is officially licensed by Atlas games.

4 Likes

I’m happy to report Jack Black has passed his Gauntlet and joined House Tremere.

12 Likes

Indeed, Yohanan Shachor goes by Tages de Tremere. He's a Jewish magus from the Spring covenant of Barda near Tudela in the Kingdom of Navarra to the North. His parens is Sitt Nasim, the Persian maga leading the Covenant of Issah in Toledo and a founder of Victrix, the main Tremere covenant for both Iberia and Provence. Sitt Nasim sent Tages to join Barda where he is becoming embroiled in intrigue [no spoilers!] involving his parens and the nearby Winter covenant of Caium, elsewhere known as Suspirium, which the elder Bjornaer magus Stellatus from Normandy is trying to bring to a new Spring. To gain his sigil, Tages needs to win at chess against Sitt Nasim, who has never been known to lose a game.

4 Likes

Part of my contract was that if this is picked up for translation, the english version of my manuscript goes right over to whomever translates it. I can speak, read, and write in spanish, but I was worried I my written work wouldn't be polished enough (it's been some time since I wrote much spanish, much less that much!), so I was translated to spanish. I'm quite pleased with the translation.

9 Likes

Yeah, but he won't have his sigil until he completes the School of Terram. :wink:

3 Likes

Is there much carry through from the 3rd edition Iberia book? (Hopefully fewer demons...) Does a version of the Shadow Flambeau still exist?

As far as I can tell there is no version of the Shadow Flambeau in the new book. There is a covenant haunted by a demon but, other than that, infernal references are few and far between.

I haven't read the 3e Iberia or 5e RoP:I so I cannot say more about how the new book overlaps with them or not.