Non Hermetic Traditions: a compilation

Moltes gràcies Mario :slight_smile:

In case anyone is wondering, I asked Mario for the Spanish translation to fully understand it since I do not have the books and do not want to post false info :slight_smile: Tomorrow I will try to find a moment to check it and update the list

Cheers,
Xavi

De res.
Will you need the Spanish Version for the Infernal Tradition from Thebes?

I think I got that well enough. Read and correct, please :slight_smile: Thx

NOTE: I am unsure if the HOH:MC ones are traditions or mystery cults. If they are only mystery cults that largely use Hermetic Magic "with a flavor" they will not be introduced in the list.

HoH: MC:
Healing Dance (M): emulates one of the Inner Mysteries of the House Criamon but in another supernatural Tradition.
“Original Bjornaers”: Infernal Shapechangers with tainted or infernal powers over spirits

Followers of Pendule (Glamour and Beguile). Merinita tradition. Their magical strengths come from.......
True Merinitae (nature magic) Abilities???

Heirs of Merlin (Folk Charm Magic and Adivination). Some background would be nice
Vesta priestesses ....

Sundered Eagle:
Folk Magic (Abjuration, Divination, Healing or Evil Eye). A tradition based around minor folk magical rites.

All the Hedge traditions from HMRE, but with local flavors and small changes:

Apostles of Apollonius (Elementalists)
Pelasgic Sorcerors (Gruagachan). No tattoo magic but with Goetic Arts, Leadworker virtue
Mythic Alchemists & Cunning Folk (Natural Magicians). As per HMRE. The Cunning Folk sometimes are nightwalkers
Folk Witches
. Bad press due to being associated with the Infernal

Makhai Makhai are Muspelli worshipping greek gods. Servants of Typhoon and Echidna, those want to raise the Titans again.

Society of Cyprian an Justina (Invocation, Wonders, Sense H&UnH, Holy Magic)
Heshychasts (Meditation, Purity, Trascendence, Understanding). Hermits and holy men. Both heirs of the first hermits and saints.

Paulicians (Debauchery, Diablerie, Malediction, Ceremony). Corrupt Manichean sect.

Stringla. Greek version of the Strygaes, related to the Folk Witches. They have a selection of Virtues and Flaws like Infernal Blessing, Nightwalking, False Power (Night Walking) and Depraved. They suffer from the deformities typically associated with witches (iron nails, twisted extremities....).

Correct?

Yes.
The Huntress are the remanent from Diana's Cult, very related to Merinita the Founder, you can see them in the Mysteries of 4th Edition too. They are a Mystery Cult, but they have mysteries with a great Pagan Flavour and intheir files can have No-Hermetic members by their secrecy.
Nature Magic is a Minor Supernatural Vitue that grant an Ability that works like a conjuction of Second Sight, Wilderness Sense, Animal Ken and Ways of the (Land), but only with a Terrain type. There are a Faery Version (Used by the Cult of Vesta) to city, related with the Lares (the faeric spirits of the towns) but generally is a Magic thing (GotF), Forest Lore, Desert Lore and things like that, 1st you have very centered in your original place.
After of that Ability you learn to take an special type of Vis and after a special Immortality feat, all from the Commune with the Nature. (The other Mysteries).

Folk Magic (Abjuration, Divination, Healing or Evil Eye)

Makhai are Muspelli worshipping greek gods. Gruagachan are adapted into a Pelasgic tradition using spirit magic. If it's too crowded, merge them.

So there are about 50 hedge tradtions?
That means your average hedge traditions has about three magi in House ex Misc?

Edited the post above. When people think it is the same "level" as the previous post I will add it to the first message.

@JeanMichelle: I would say that 90% of those traditions have no representatives in house exmiscellanea at all.

Cheers,
Xavi

I prefer to think of it as a long list of options for use in your game. If you throw them all into a single iteration of Mythic Europe it's going to get pretty silly, like an old episode of the Addams Family.

I like it how you compare ex misc to the Adams family!

I agree. The intention has always been to provide options for hedge traditions; in your saga only a limited number might actually exist...and even if large numbers do nominally exist in your saga, maybe only one or two feature in the immediate locality of your covenant.

This is a very useful thread - thanks!
I think it would be useful to add, to each magical tradition, whether it's "Gifted only" or not.
For example, Viktir and Kolduni (a slavic Gruagach variant) are traditions open to Gifted members only.

Hmm.... good point. When I have more free time I will try to do that. Glad you found it useful. I found this useful as well for my own use, so I thought others might appreciate it as well :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Xavi