Off topic

We have on HoH:M p.38:

"Crafter of (Form)
Variable points, Init equal to (Qik – 5),
appropriate Form
R: varies, D: varies, T: varies
Duplicates any of a range of non-Ritual
Creo or Rego spells pertaining to the specified Hermetic Form, at a cost of 1 Might point per magnitude of the effect. The level of the effect cannot be greater than the creature’s Might, or 25, whichever is lowest. This power affects only one Form, but some creatures have this power more than once, for different Forms.
Cr(Form) or Re(Form) 25: Focus Power"

The same limit is spelled out on p.39 for Master of (Form).

Focus Power RoP:M, p.37
Greater Power RoP:M, p.38
Ritual Power RoP:M, p.40

Also, check the example genii locorum RoP:M, p.111-115

You are right! I overlooked the "(Focus Power x 2)" entry for Arduinna.

1 Like

About the Might of Arduinna, 40 seems ok given the power level of the forests in GotF and the sample genii locii in RoP:M. 30 is too low.

What we can do is that you have a pact, but a limited one for the time being. You need to prove yourself more. So you are limited to level 25 effects. It is like granting you Focus Power x1 instead of x2. As you evolve in Arduinna's path and stern you will unlock more power.

How about that?

I am more than fine with a limiting of the powers Yannis receives from Arduinna.

A question about legal proceedings - no local courts really have jurisdiction over the surrounding nobles, right? I was planning on the Mechanician being a legal expert specifically brought in by the two elder residents, but when I think about it further it seems like the real use of a legal expert would be at Court. Thoughts?

There are several areas where it might be useful

1. The taxes that the covenant must pay to the count of Namur.

2. The right of the covenant to exploit the Ardennes forest. I think here we can have more problems with Yannis than t'he mundanes, but better safe than sorry.

3. Vis rights. Not all disputes are in mundane courts.

In any case a mechanician looks interesting to the covenant. Being a legal expert is a bonus. Triamore has a special legal status as a direct subject of the Emperor, and this needs to be defended since it is a relatively new invention (less than a century old) as well. Other nobles in the area do not have this status, and so are subject to normal secular or clerical courts.

Pleading exemption to a court requires often enough legal representation in that court.

1 Like

I really just wanted to make sure if the elders wanted a legal expert, they wouldn't expect him to be at the imperial court the whole time. Sounds like that's not a problem, there's plenty of local need for a lawyer.

Especially while there is no Imperial court without an Emperor.

So the legal representative needs to work, by letter or in person, in the courts of the prince-bishop of Liège, the count of Namur, king Henry (VII) and sundry. And he needs to make sure that contracts with nobles or subjects of other nobles are drawn up correctly and do not offer leverage to such courts.

Sounds like a lot of languages. :scream:

You mean Latin, Latin and Latin?

Seriously, this is why his parents sent Sulpice to Paris.

Hooray!

That makes things a lot easier.

I was hoping that was the case but wasn't sure.

Yeah, Latin is the de facto language of legal and academic discourse unless you're in Muslim lands where it's Arabic.

And when Frederick II ascends the court will be in Palermo

Palermo, where the future of a manor that he is unlikely to know to even exist is the most important thing in the political agenda. :stuck_out_tongue:

The more you talk about it, the more I think you will be digging the library for civil law tractatus

Unless you attract His Imperial Majesty's attention... like with mechanica

UhOh. Don't start me changing again, it was hard to settle on an idea.

You mean because he'll want me to make them for him?

I hadn't thought about that, actually. meh.

It is a story hook. But we have so many that it is unlikely to.come and bite you. At least not much or soon.

The legal.mechanician is a great idea. Go ahead.

Yeah if it ever happens it will be in the future since currently he's still maneuvering to become Holy Roman Emperor, then he'll be in Palermo so it will take time for news of your wondrous creations, spread by scholar visitors who visit Triamore, to reach him. Then he goes on Crusade... etc