Off topic

That's what occurred to me. I haven't decided what tradition tried to open Yanni's Gift and failed.

There is a mention in HMRE about The Witches of Reims so Yanni's old tradition could definitely be Folk Witches.

I've spent a couple hours investigating something that would be different and that I haven't tried before, while being something with no Tainted Virtues nor a Sahir to keep everyone happy and sidestep those issues. I think making a Faerie Doctor, focusing on Faerie Wizardry (Enchantment Method) would be different enough from what others have as well as being new to me. Faerie Doctor is a little tough to work with since you have prescribed Minor Flaws in areas with limits, but that just creates an interesting challenge.

Why not switch from Ars Goetica to Ars Fabulosa? Faerie bargaining instead of Spirit bargaining/commanding.

I'm just not so much a fan of Ars Fabulosa.

1 Like

Considering it seems that we won't be converting the Hermetic Magus Social Status, I am now seriously considering getting Wealthy.

I wouldn't assume as much. Triamore has called for new recruits and they need to be offering something after all.

Since I'm now looking at Faerie Sympathy, I have one interpretation question and one requested house rule:

House Rule: Experience from 1's cannot exceed the normal cap. (It's so easy to blow away the cap, sometimes even accidentally, so I like to place a hard limit on my characters this way.)

Interpretation: If a Positive Sympathy Trait falls to 0, can it further fall to be negative? And, reciprocally, if a Negative Sympathy Trait rises to 0, can it further rise to be positive? As far as I can tell, this is the case, and the author affirmed it. But I still think it's worth asking.

I'll just drop this in here. For those who are interested in ancient magic/mercurian magic

1 Like

I do not dig 5th edition faeries much myself, finding the differnce between magic and faerie totally artificial and gamey to justify having 4 realms (a legacy thing) instead of 3, so no idea here since I never went into their mechanics much after purchasing the book.

I can see them going from positive to negative and viceversa. The interest of faries is vampirizing your vitality. Positive or negative doesn't bother them.much.

I personally like it, but I also totally get what you're saying.

Are these Roman vĂ­as?

Yes they are.

1 Like

The youth of Frère Sulpice until about his 12th or even 13th birthday takes also place in Reims.
So we might coordinate early backgrounds, if Yannis' biography also keeps this stay in Reims.

Would you wish to adapt Yannis' name to his birth or early life in France?

Yannis would have been sent or taken to Reims when he was around 10 and stayed with the Folk Witches for at least one year before he took to exploring the Ardennes. Based on Frère Sulpice's background it is possible that the two could have met. However, I have yet to pin down Yannis' final age and figure out when exactly he was in Reims.

Ooh, the Ardennes. That's roughly where I was looking at Sophie starting off. As a Wise One, she might well have been known to the local witches. Sophie's native language will be French, and she'll at least know a decent amount of German and probably a bit of Latin.

So she's no longer Greek? That would make it a lot easier. The outer parts of the Ardennes would have significant Faeirie presence that would benefit a Wise One's custom.

In relation to the Ardennes Reims is roughly southwest, Lucien's Folly is roughly north of center.

Frère Sulpice is from Reims and Yannis would have come from a hamlet at the point where the Forest of Cuise connects with the Ardennes. Depending on where you decide to come from we might have met or heard of each other.

1 Like

She had been Greek because she was from the Daughters of Erictho. But now that's she's a Faerie Doctor, that's a tradition is more common in Saxon lands and thereabout. So I figured northwestern Holy Roman Empire was a reasonable region.

With Strong Faerie Blood, there is a good chance she'll be a bit older so they wouldn't have encountered each other young. But older and into their practices, we could certainly arrange that.

Xavi has ruled that we start at a maximum age of 25, so we are all in the same general age bracket taking into account apprenticeship, etc.

Nortwestern Holy Roman Empire would be Upper and Lower Lorraine, to the east of Picardy, where Rimes is. My suggestion is Upper Lorraine unless you want to start near Lucien's Folly.

Oh, wow, 25 years. Faerie Doctors don't have anything special many of the other traditions give. Sophie is going to be really young-looking and not need to worry about aging for a very long time, not that she'll really be that worried.