On Nephilim and Aging...

More of Steve's stoopid questions...

Character A is a mythic companion, specifically, a Nephilim. A is 160 years old, and A's player is dreading the prospect of that first aging roll...

Are aging rolls modified the same as they are for human characters? As in, do they add age/10 to their rolls? Supernatural methods obviously do not apply, but do the natural ones apply? If Age/10 is added, then your first aging roll is made at +11 (160/10 - 5)... If not, this is a somewhat better deal...

Assuming Age/10 gets added, with a minimum roll of 2, A gains one full point of decreptitude, and has a crisis of some sort... Also, all crisis are going to be starting at 17 and up... I will assume that Greater Immunity to disease negates the effect of the Illness, but the crisis requires the bed rest...

A's Player rolls, and gets the minimum result - 1 Decrepitude point and a terminal aging crisis... A season later, somewhat weakened, "A" returns to the world...And struggles to learn anything.

IF the above holds true, then every Nephilim Mythic companion will go from normal advancement, to 1 xp a season at year 161. Is the age/10 subtraction a typo? That's not increasingly difficult, that's like having a door slammed in your face... Was it supposed to be Decrepitude? That, to me, is "increasingly" difficult.

IF the above does not hold true, and Nephilim get a flat -5, regardless of age, to their aging rolls, then the above ranting is moot, because that stress die would have to roll better than 14 (or higher) to add aging points...

Help?

Steve

There's no indication that the guidelines for aging are different on this point.
So, yes, this would be +(Age/10) - 5 to your aging rolls. Ouch.

However, you would still have 160 years of experience behind you, so this is not too bad a deal in terms of experience.

it seems silly that you'd go from fine to a decrepid oldman in 1 year, i'd change the formula to make it more even. Two ways to do it...

Aging total = stress die + age/10 (round up) - living conditions - longevity ritual.

1st way. ignore all but the age/10 for now.
normal aging rolls start at 35 so, 35/10=4 with rounding.
Figure your nephilim starts rolling at 160 so, 160/x=4.
Solve x and substitue and you get, age/40.

2nd way. Is how strong faerie blood is described.
add an aging roll modifier.
Strong fey blood you start your rolls at age 50. if you do the math as above you get age/12.5.
The book instead says add a -3 to the aging roll. Which compared to the math actually benefits the young character and hurts the older character (>200) for aging rolls

doing some more figuring and you find a -12 to aging rolls with nephilim keeps them balanced with the math. By that I'm talking about where the number 4 appears in the following columns. If after staring at it for awhile you still cant see what I did I'll try to explain more.

normal nephilim calculated fey book fey age age/10 age/40 age/12.5 age/10-3 age/10-12 35 4 1 3 1 -9 50 5 1 4 2 -7 160 16 4 13 13 4

I'm kinda surprised that the virtue doesn't mention aging modifiers

Weren't the modifiers for nephilim Age/100?? I thought so. What happens at 160 is that the nephilim stops learning stuff and starts moving "up" to the land of the just. Hitting 160 is the call for "you should start generating a new PC since this one has reached the timespan where it is pseudo-balanced!".

Might be wriong here, though, since I found the option to even give players the option top play a nephilim questionable at best. great NPCs, but lousy and unbalanced PCs without heavy editing by the troupe IMO. YMMV.

Xavi

You're not a decrepit old man. You just have incredible difficulties to learn anything new once you gain your first decrepitude point.

This will happen at least at age 160, but could very well happen at age 200.

Say, gaining about one aging point every 10 years past 150, this is not what I'd call getting old.