OOC Chapter 5: Kaub Island

I would like the island then Forest ( in that order). I think Trier would be a nightmare for us.

Honorus would not like the forest but may not have a choice if his superiors want people there to watch it. He would be for making a deal with the count to extract his son from the island( if needed) so we can secure the location.

I would prefer the island first, then the Forest.
Carolinus would not want the forest, as it is too far from "civilization". He would prefer the island, and probably sees less harm in helping the count than the other magi.

I abstain. I'll find an excuse for my character (Hildegard) to accept any location (we've acted less than perfectly at all three sites so far - which makes the decision a hard one).

There seems to be a preference for Kaub island all in all. I suggest you either try to speed up the process of getting the right to settle there (in time for the 1221 tribunal in 2 seasons), or we take a few years of character advancement (as peregrinatores) to see how the situation at the island evolves (I'd roll dice to determine the outcome) - and wait for the tribunal after.

One thing that would work in our favor is if things happen as Arturous said with the son being taken hostage. If this is not going to happen then I would say that it makes Kaub harder to get. Unless the Count takes us as advisors there is no reason for him to allow us to stay on the island.

I would also prefer the island location, and was hoping we would get the chance to drive away the pesky bandits. If that won't happen before the meeting with Murion, Arturous would vote for the forest location, as he is unwilling to wait and see how the count resolves his issues (the right to found a convent can't be squandered…)

So unless we are going to act to speed up/ help the Kaub island decision or just go with the woods?

I'm drawing blanks – can't think of a way to gain the right to settle the island without risking breaking the code somehow.
GOTF mentions another island upstream of Kaub, which is connected to it when the river is at its lowest. If it has a magical aura, might it serve as an alternative location?
It might be a little cramped, but we can compensate by casting a modified version of 'conjure the mystic tower' (making a much taller tower for instance..)

anything we would do to secure the island would break the code. It is a point of do you risk getting caught. Can we manipulate the "thugs" on the island to take the count's son hostage so we could then play the heroes in saving him?

I think that we could come up with a way to "save" Manfred, and the count may feel indebted enough to grant us access to the island, but there would be no guarantee that the island would still be ours if the emperor replaces Katzenellenbogen.

I wonder if we could persuade Katzenellenbogen to take up residence in a monastery as a penance, and abdicate his position to Manfred? The emperor might find it harder to remove the family in this instance, making it easier for us to keep the island.

Long term occupation might still be a problem ...

That island is really small and completely submerged in some of the pictures I have seen of the site.

So it sounds like we have 3 choices

1. make something happen to help our chances of getting Kaub island now. - risky and quite possibly illegal in the code.
  2. choose Westerwald - The safe bet. Gets us started with covenant building right now.
  3. wait to see what happens with Kaub island - Means missing the next tribunal for the place we want. Risky in that we might not get it even if we wait. and we would need a place to stay for the next several years.

The only way i see #1 happening without breaking the Code is if we can parlay a meeting between the count and Manfred to settle their differences. IF there is good will then perhaps we could be allowed to make use of the island while waiting to hear from the Emperor. during that time we would have to become invaluable to the count and Manfred so we could stay.

Arturous will refuse to break the code, and I have no further ideas on how to get a hold of the site. It's a shame, but unless someone comes up with an idea, my vote will go for the forest as I don't think we can afford to wait for the next tribunal.

I posted in the main thread, will try to get off with at least some of the books. The count may suggest something once he knows we want to found a new covenant – sharing our goals with him at this point can do no harm (perhaps he knows of some other mystical site in the region, etc)

you could try to mediate the talks between the count and his children. If not then we should just move to Westwald and Honorus will count on not getting any sleep

sick ... will post back in a couple of days.
Sorry.

Are we ready to move on to Westerwald?

unless somebody objects within the next 2 or so days, I'll open a new thread.

Are we returning to Westerwald or to Murion first?

Carolinus will not be thrilled with a forest home away from mundanes, and so near a faerie aura, but is willing to go along figuring it will all work out in the end. :slight_smile:

Carolinus would probably want to do something nice for the family they have been staying with, possibly by spontaneously casting spell to make the bed in the room the magi used (main bedroom?) smell lightly of roses.
CrIm5 (Base 1, +1 touch, +3 moon).

Also, he would probably try to find a way to say goodby to Melisande as well.

Since it will be WestWald, i have a question or two.

Are we going to Westwald to start the Covenant immediately? With no support at all?

Should we( or at least one of us) return to Durenmar and tell Muriel and perhaps get something to start?

It might be worth the trip to Durenmar to line everything up and perhaps get time in a lab/library and make plans.

A trip to Murion is definitely warranted, and I think should precede the travel to Westerwald. We should all travel to Durenmar and see what kind of support and resources we can gather there. can we start a different chapter Jean? we can leave the other chapter hanging until we come back to westerwald