OOC: Character Creation

Great.
So a posh English character who speaks Anglo-Norman, will need a score of 5 to be able to read the book in French (effectively a score of 4 in French)?

Bye the bye, I found an article in Oxford Dictonaries which says that the Old-English/Anglo-Saxon period ends about 1150, so in the 13th century we are into Middle English. I should stop referring to it as Saxon, and just write English :slight_smile:

Great.

I was inclined to agree with you, in the sense that I did not think it possible to learn Parma from a book. Now, this is probably a legacy from 3ed/4ed which distinguished clearly between knowledges, which could be learnt from reading, and skills and talents, which I think could not.

ArM5 has a clear reference which must imply that Parma books are possible, on page 166 which states the conditions for copying such books.

I am not dead against bending the rules, but I don't think it should be done easily. The decision is still with Emelric.

I think a Parma Magica book comes with a major security risk in game that should be taken in consideration by whomever brings it.

It is just a straight ref call for me. My character does not know what it is anyway as he can't read it so he would have no issue arriving with it. However 35 build points is a lot and we could spend them elsewhere very easily.

Question emelric, if Magus Bran is not being played and T Riffix Rex is playing his companion can we have his 60 build points and 10 vis split between the other Magi? If not can he still make his picks and have his companion give them to the covenant via story (found them, stole them, got paid them etc)

:0P

The other option would be join with another magus and bring said build points with. I just can't get anything approved, if I could get a magus approved I'd play it.

Just play with rules from the main rules, the three house books and the covenants books and you will get approval. Elemric has made clear it is his first campaign and wants to limit to these volumes. Anything else is off limits, at least for the start. We have had one house rule agreement re the Flexible Formulsic Magic call re increased size with extra levels that was easy to get agreement. I would rather have you with us as a magus rather than steal your build points everyday of the week. :smiley:

I'm still waiting on rulings for

1: Faerie Blood or Mythic Blood variation for Flame Dancer
If that is nixed
2: The proposed solution for Reynard
If there is none
3: a suggested character that will be approved

Had I asked, the answer on flexible formulaic would have been no.

What really happened to the Reynard idea? The only objection I noticed was that the fox is too small for the lycanthrope flaw, but what happened to the alternative with greater malediction? Can't greater malediction be tuned into something enjoyable within the rules; keeping the involuntary fox?

Yes, but said rules are in RoP:M. It was vetoed with no suggestion or ruling. Pretty much a unilateral No for all character ideas and suggestions. I haven't talked to him in over a week.

They where not vetoed by Emelric but critiqued by other players. Only the storyteller can decide if it is OK or not and you did not wait for his opinion before withdrawing characters. Pick which one you want that only uses the above books and then wait for his comments, which as far as I can see have been reasonable and considered.

I'm not trying to pout here, btw. I'm just burnt out on the arguing and rejection. If the troupe has issues, then what is the troupe's suggested solution? There are none, so I'm not able to play the characters. My frustration has been that it's me and my suggestions, not the characters. If it were the characters, then I would assume feedback about solutions. I've never met a troupe that would rather throw Story ideas in the garbage without trying, but that's where we are.

I have other character ideas. However the moment I get excited and start fleshing them out I get reminded I shouldn't because it will just be rejected. So I made Bran and he was the only one not approved the same night everyone else was. I can take a hint.

I haven't heard from him. Just the post about infighting.

I haven't posed in the Covenant design thread for a reason.

But you do not need the rules from RoP:M. Greater Malediction is completely open, and the nature of the curse is left to troupe/SG approval. Referring to RoP is a red herring.

I suggest this.

Greater malediction: When Reynard/Edoma is really scared, they involunarily shapechange into a fox.

This is different from lycanthropy in that it is less predictable, and the link to story events (being scared) it is more likely to pop up as inconveniently. Obviously, it may be triggered by any kind of emotion (love, anger, hate, whatever). The threshold for the shapechange should just be tuned by the SG to make it appropriately inconvenient.

If you are happy with this version, I suggest you repost Reynard, and just make sure that there is absolutely no reference to any non-core/HoH book (even if the book confirms your judgement call). I think it will be approved.

If this is right, you may even repost it greater malediction with forced shapechange on a lunar cycle if you prefer.

I know I critiqued a version with lycanthropy, but that was merely pointing out that it violated the size limits. I don't object to bending the size limit, but I object to pushing the issue when Emelric wants to stick with RAW.

As John points out, just post one character, and wait for Emelric's decision. We point out potential issues which may deserve a second look, but the decision is left for Emelric.

I only got my first comments yesterday and I am awaiting final approval from Emelric so you are not being singled out at all. He is doing his best to get through the reviews as he gets to them. He may have intended to do you before me but you had withdrawn Bran by then and deleted him.

RoP:M Monstrous Blood, Magical Thing. A lesser power which manifests detrimentally and uncontrollably in certain circumstances.

I, personally, liked the Reynard character. What I was protesting was the cheapening of a major flaw. Major flaws have a big impact on the game and normally bigger than a magus can handle. By taking a major flaw then not living up to the spirit of the flaw cheapens it. Having a lycanthrope form that is not considered dangerous and not the right size is like a magus taking a Feud with the local farmer. Changing it to a Greater Malediction has the same issues. you are just changing the name and getting the benefit of the major flaw with less risk. A lesser malediction would work.

Hmmm I am not that convinced with the first part though. I think its more about limiting the pool to avoid certain complications, see the Bjornae size debate about vermin and songbirds. You do have a point about the 'dangerous' factor of the lycanthrope, but I feel its not the central part of the flaw. Being confined in a vulnerable shape regularly poses a lot of problems, dangerous or not (think Lady Hawk).
If size is the problem, make the fox larger, like a small wolfhound, as T-rex suggested?

Imo it should be worth more points for a Fox, they are considered pests and hunted. A Lycanthrope, will take the silver damage, have animal intelligence and won't have memory of the night. Once you remove the Lycanthropy aspects, it isn't much of a flaw since it removes those detriments.

The solution of adding +1 size and making the Animal an aggressive version of the species is not only easy to do rule wise, but makes sense for the spirit of the Flaw. If you keep all the other aspects of Lycanthropy, what exactly is being changed in the new Lycanthropy not Lycanthropy flaw?

People run from bears. People get scared of wolves. People run and get the dogs to kill a Fox. The Fox is also going to break into homes, kill smaller livestock, etc. a were bear in the Covenant is noticeable immediately. A Fox that keeps killing our livestock, but isn't Marie puts the characters in an odd spot.

The lack of solution is what told me to give up. Because if we aren't going to work together to make a Strong Magic blood variant that is less powerful than Strong Faerie Blood or Mythic Blood, then I have no confidence in the Not Lycanthropy Lycanthrope flaw that I spend time constructing.

The primary reason I actively do not want to play Reynard is I would like to explore the story idea he was born a Fox, is a Fox and not a human, and it's implications. It's absolutely the wrong troupe to do that in, I can do it elsewhere and put him on the back burner.

Right now I'm mulling over different character ideas and wondering if I should wait to play a magus until we get going, so I can have something that better fits... or play an apprentice later etc.