OOC chat

Looking forward to Autumn 1289...

Want to confirm my understanding: in a season where you use a lab text, you gain Exposure 2 xp in that season to either Tech Form used by spell or to MT.

Do I have that right?

that's right. Exposure in MT / tech / form is the rule for any lab project.

1 Like

yes, unless of course you take adventure experience.

1 Like

Inventive Genius is errataed to be much clearer.

Inventive Genius (p. 44): Replace the second sentence with "You get +3 to your Lab Total if you are not using a Laboratory Text.".

3 Likes

Not changing plans, but as soon as he can read Arabic well enough Zarkut is reviewing his correspondence and notes for any further clues about the covenant situation or anything related to the covenant overall, which might provoke a change.

Khufu Al Alqazar

@silveroak Yes. Was chatting with @temprobe about a companion that might work well with Aetherius and others in the covenant. Definitely not an existing companion but one for the future and future story.

1 Like

Do we learn anything from the creature as it learns language?

Lares would ask it things like where it came from, what it was looking for, if there are others like it where it came from, how it feels about being at the covenant, and so on.

It doesn't speak well enough to get much information (and Lares isn't exactly fully literate yet either) but you get the impression it was cargo on a trade caravan, and presumably escaped.

What season are we on now? Is it time for the trip to Europe yet?

1 Like

Sorry, had some family stuff and got stuck mid advancement.
Also waiting on a response from Whaler on his character thread.

In Fall both Lares and Argentius indicate they are learning Vigil from the lab text- but there is only one lab text. Who is doing something else? (do we want a certamen thread to decide?)

1 Like

Certamen... That would actually be kind of fun. I have never actually seen that play out.

We agreed to have the lab text copied by the scribes way back when - was this succesfull? If not, we'll just have to drop one caster. Edit: It would have to be Argentius in that case, I suppose, since Lares is casting the Aegis.

I think you couldn't be dropped from learning the Vigil. My reading is that the person doing the main spell / ritual must be in the group of magi which knows the Vigil / communion. That being said, yeah, we wanted to have this copied. I can't recall being told if it was copied or not copied.

1 Like

Okay, assuming one scribe who is still proficient in magic theory (ability 1 suffies) and has an ability of 5 in scribe they would be able to make 12 copies in a season, but they would not be organized enough to actually do this until summer, when Okeannetis is using the only copy so it cannot be copied.

Well darn. I would think that if we had known we didn't have a couple copies we would have likely revised our summer/fall plans. I think I had assumed we had resolved the copies issue.

I'm happy to adjust the fall plan and let the scribe do their work.

But that means we don't case the Aegis until when? Beginning of Spring 1290?

Assuming everything else goes to plan, yes.

It's easily fixed, though. If we can't have copying until the Summer but we can have several copies and not just two, then copying happens in the summer and Okeannetis reads the Parma book during that time, since no one else was borrowing it. Then Okeannetism, Argentius and Lares all learn it during the Fall. The Aegis is cast on time. And I can always offer a few of the extra copies to other covenants through the redcaps when we resume contact.

Part of the issue here is that this is essentially fixing the problem by retconning what is already done.

Then I recommend we have the scribe work in Autumn 1289 to make the copies. Then we study them in Winter with intention to cast at either the end of the season or beginning of Spring 1290.

If that's the path we go down, then Argentius will study the Magic Theory 6:Q:16 Summa in Autumn.

I would prefer to solve it by retconning, since it was just a communication lapse, but I'm fine with other means.

Studying in the Winter, as Bartomeus suggests, would mean we would go that season without the Aegis. Alternatively, Argentius wouldn't participate in the first casting. That means we have a weaker penetration on the first Aegis throughout the year, but at least have an aegis.

The math is as follows:

4 casters (Lares, Argentius, Zarkut, Okeannetis): Level 30/4=7,5.
3 casters (sans Argentius): 30/3=10

Assuming Lares doesn't get xp in the meantime, his casting total is 32 (3 sta + 10 vim + 10 rego + 5 aura +2 artes + 2 philo = 32), so with 4 casters we might get to 30 penetration, with 3 probably not, but still over 20, which is decent for a covenant of newbies. Overall, the difference is only 2,5 points, so no biggie.

1 Like