OOC chat

Did you find our Perfecti, raccoon, or are we still searching? :smiley:

Welcome back @raccoonmask . You didn't miss much. LOL

No Perfecti in Athens, I'm afraid.

I just had a nasty-ass minmaxing munchkin revelation: what if Lares were to invent a Year-duration ritual Maintaining the Demanding Spell? He could offset the vis costs of the ritual by expending long-term fatigue using his Imbued with the Spirit of Vim virtue.

Discuss.

While Imbued with the Spirit of Form is a pretty good munchkin Virtue (Vim and Corpus being probably the strongest), that particular scenario sounds pretty bad.

You probably want to avoid the 600+ concentration rolls necessary to do it.

(Maintaining the Demanding Spell requires you to target an existing spell, so you'll have to cast the first spell, then start doing a Ritual spell. It also explicitly calls for a stress die, so you can botch.)

2 Likes

Right you are, didn't realize that! It's only a difficulty 6 concentration roll, though.

Let me see... Year duration (+4) adds 3 magnitudes to the +1 diameter duration of the base spell, meaning that the ritual-level effect could only affect spells of at least 3 magnitudes lower. That in itself makes it fairly expensive.

If the level of the spell to be affected were 5, the ritual would have to be level 20. It takes 15 minutes per magnitude to cast a ritual, so an hour. Concentration must be rolled every 2 minutes, so 30 rolls.

A very high botch chance, in other words, and I think rituals always have a stress die, so there's no getting around it either.

Well, can't say I'm particularly unhappy about that conclusion :stuck_out_tongue:

I suppose you could plausibly cast your moon duration maintaining the demanding spell prior to attempt the ritual to maintain it for year. That being said, while I suppose obviating the vis cost of ritual with your virtue is nice, you'd need a fairly high level effect. How many year duration spells do you expect to need?

1 Like

Now that you put it like that, it isn't quite as strong as I thought. And of course, the spells subject to this wouldn't have the benefit of Boundary etc.

I've been thinking of occupying myself by generating a companion while the Europe expedition lasts. My first thought is that I might make a redcap, since I've never played one of those. That's a legit companion, isn't it?

Maybe there has been some trouble with their former covenant and they are looking for a new place to stay? Maybe they knew some of the magi from before and therefore recognizes their rejuvenation, so the Europe expedition has to spill the beans?

How would @temprobe feel about this "competition" in the redcap-ing department?

1 Like

A redcap is definitely a legit companion. The obvious possibility is someone who knew Aetherius.

1 Like

I'm not going to oppose a redcap companion. Enjoy.

1 Like

Re: Atys, I think we should apply Elemental Magic xp from background, given that the errata'd virtue gives a percentage of the invested xp, not xp by seasons of studies.

2 Likes

I've had a busy weekend with my children going to their birth mother, my wife getting sick and my metamour being in the hospital, but I will look him over tomorrow and keep that in mind.

3 Likes

Finally got my Dall-E 2 subscription up, here's another shot that I think captures the covenant a bit better.

3 Likes

These are so good!

Sounds like a fun magic trick to have though. "Borrow the grog's temporary clone" or something. Magi, improving grogs' working conditions since 915.

1 Like

Sounds like Silas kind of did that with the "now-breaking down" automotons at Al Kufra. :slight_smile:

I bet we could make a brisk business of selling "indulgence clones" to the nobility whose primary purpose is vicarious penance.

Just confirming that we're not waiting on me to post. I'm assuming that @silveroak will set the stage before Khufu enters the stage.

Right?

correct, I'm dealing with a few home issues this weekend...

2 Likes

Totally understand. Life keeps on keepin' on.