OOC discussion

familiars can read alongside their magus and gain full xp, but typically this is a different book unless there is some way the two can read the same book at the same time (for example, the familiar can see through the magus' eyes, or is a cat and can curl up in the magus' lap...)

Sweet!

Maaay be slow at posting for a few days. Real life and all.

I have been delayed a bit here lately between Halloween, illness, and my wife having a day off work which we enjoyed together. Will be catching up soon.

Enjoyment is good. I just have to rebuild two servers at work. And was sick for 2 days.

I've been overly busy these past couple days. Try to get more stuff posted tomorrow.

I'm considering revising the chart so that there are 9 instead of 4 categories of adventures- I am open to suggestions on what some of these could be. 2 I have so far (which I also invite comment on) are:

criminal/spy: skills: stealth, intrigue, legerdemain, folk ken, awareness, bargain, shapeshifter, craft(for forgery or B&E), guile

outdoor: survival, athletics, swim, ride, wilderness sense, animal ken, hunt, area lore, stealth

Real life was being busy to me, and I had sadly missed out on my forum-updating. I should have my characters and their tasks updated soon - sorry I'm falling behind.

I'll be a traveling for the next couple days.

I'm back! Holy hell, the weather screwed stuff up something fierce.

Just as an aside, I've been sick the last day or two. Since I stayed home instead of gone to work, I've had a lot of time to look at ideas for Oliverius's magic and spells and enchantments... and since I've been a little out of it, I've screwed up a lot of basic math trying to get it right. My goal is to have a really cool invested item at the end of it (using the apprentice's bonuses if needed). It'll take a few years of work to finish it, and probably about 40 vis >.>
A few quick rules interpretation questions:

• MR (and wards?) protect the user as well as carried equipment. Includes armor, clothing, and jewelry. Weapons? I know a talisman has MR from its magus, but what about a non-talisman wand held in hand, or tucked into a bag?
  • I went over the lab texts rules. It's not possible to use a lab text for a lesser enchanted device for an invested; Also not possible for a text of enchantment imbued into a talisman to be used by other magi. Can I use an enchantment I've put into my talisman for a non-talisman item?
  • Lab texts require you use the same shape and material bonuses - this means you need to define the shape and material bonuses for each item. Can I only define one of them (Material, no shape defined). Can the magus using the text change other effects? (A wand that shoots fire uses a ruby as material bonus. Can I make a sword that shoots fire using a ruby pommel and use the lab text?)
  • When making an invested item, can I use different shape and material bonuses for each effect? I believe so, but wanted to check. An ebony wand with an iron-skull tip with ruby eyes can use ebony, ruby, and iron as different material bonuses for different effects, yes?
  • If I have enviromental trigger on an item, can it also be triggered by use? A ring that gives its wearer Bind Wounds til sun; will it activate when put on, or will it only activate if worn during sundown?
  • If I have a touch spell on concentration, does it wear off when you're no longer touching? (example, bind wounds modified to concentration)

Things held in your hand are carried equipment. Same with things in a backpack or a closely held bag- for example one strapped across the body, but not in a bag dangling from the shoulder.

No. The key here is that it is not possible to use a lab text for a lesser enchanted item to enchant a greater or vice versa, leaving the implication that these are as distinct a category as if it were for a differing shape and material.

no, it has to have the same shape and material. however if you enchant a ruby on a wand you can also enchant a ruby on a sword...

yes

so long as the other trigger is defined at the time it is enchanted, yes.

no, range does not affect duration, or vice versa

I'm going to finish up my math on the absolute madman Invested Item Oliverius will be making from the years 1134 til 1136, when he's going to gauntlet Arduino. The inspiration for this item is manifold, but the key was to make something that (a) used his apprentice to full potential (b) Utilized his specialties as well as additional non-metallic effects that worked together, (c) would be a good centerpiece for his Studio and be useful at other times (d) Was amazing enough to try and make his Verdi-grudge-rival cry. If math is right, it will be costing him around 42 stockpiled vis. This kind of project is why Oliverius was so keen to do jobs for the Mercere.
I realize I'm rambling now, because I tend to do that when tired and sick.

I'm going to try and get my 'yearly' updates done as soon as I get home from work today. Sorry I'm a bit behind.

silveroak is it possible in this Saga to write books on magic qualities (RoP:M page 52 boxed text "magic qualities and initiation scripts")?

Aurthor's familiar would like to write these type of books for some of his qualities.

In case this option is available, I have some questions:

1. are these books summae or tractatii?
  2. If they are tractatii, how many can be written by the same author?
  3. It would be possible to rise their quality with resonant materials on magic lore? Or I need specific materials for each quality.

Yes, they can be written, I'm going to say they have to be written as summae to ensure that a single source can always complete the transformation. Resonant materials would have to be topic specific.

Okay thanks!

silveroak reviewing the rules for writing summae I realize now that I need a level for calculate the time requested to finish the book.

Is it correct for you to assume this level as the total XP needed to gain the quality?

For example: a summa on a major quality + minor inferiority combo requires 25 XP. So, with Com +5 and Latin 5, Ibis would accumulate 10 points per season with a final time of 2.5 seasons needed to write the book.

correct

Can I assume that books on Accelerated Abilities are treated as Arts when it comes to pricing them as books?

Also that when learning a supernatural accelerated ability you only need to get 1 xp to learn it because that's enough for a score of 1?