OOC Discussion

When do you want to start trying to recruit new people?

Let's say, like, a week from now? I'd like to clean the build point totals out of the covenant posts before anyone else arrives, so that we aren't changing things mid-stream.

Scott

The toys story is starting to come together in my head - we have two pints of reference (a) the toymaker who can craft them, and (b) the covenant listed income. So the story starst with the characters egtting agreement of supply from Ghepetto and then creatinga distribution line.

Which characters are you keen to include? I've got a few ideas that can scale so magi welcome. Will need somebody who can "speak" for the covenant to the fae at the very least. And somebody to help the trades.
Give me some character names and I should be able to start soon.

for the follow-up on the Stallion - Fray will seek approval from a covenant magus, and then start transforming a grog for training. Either that or the intention is for Fray to battle the stallion each year?

For the distribution line, I was thinking they could probably be sold in Constantinople?

I think casting the lion spell on the grogs is going to warp them each time (and also probably won't penetrate the horse's magic resistance)? If so, Gregorius isn't going to give his approval for that.

The issue of who's going to fight the horse is part of why Gregorius suggested a magic item, although sadly it doesn't look as though that's going to be immediately practical. I think the alternatives are that Fray or Alcimus do the fighting.

Two spells which I'd like to include in Fray's advancement. A combative spell, which Fray wants to invent. Inspired from an Ars 3rd ed spell, discussed on forum's grimoire thread. I altered this to use Aquam intead, but the mechanics are the same.

and another discussed in grimoire too which he intends to offer to introduce to RedCaps / Mercere as an alternative to bulky object transportation.

I think it's hard to avoiding including Viola. The cats were there the last time, but perhaps their curiosity is already satisfied--I don't need to play all three characters at once.

Scott

Viola could handle a Muto magi item fairly easily, especially after her lab is squared away.

Scott

On the first spell: I'm not sure Momentary is long enough for a significant fall to take place. A Rego spell can move something with Momentary duration, but I don't recall seeing other spells that treat the actual time span of Momentary to accomplish something (Momentary, it seems to me, is best read as "instant" in most cases).

On the second spell: how do you transport an image? The "image" in Imaginem isn't the physical basis of the image, but rather the species themselves.

Scott

Momentary by the book is longer than instant - (eg below) if a rock can be moved up or down a hill then an object can fall into water. I think it is meant to be more like a cinematic moment.

The object changed is made two dimentional, but retains its other aspects. My thought was to 2D & shrink the object onto something else, like the pages of a book and then move it that way. Shorting and moving the object like it is a drawing of itself.

Actually on second thought I'll stay away from controversial spells - and replace the 2D spell for two to deal with the Horse.

Leg of the Stumbling Horse
Muto Animal 5,
R: Touch, D: Momentary, T: Part
Momentarily Shrinks an animal's limb to half its original length.
(Base 3 to change an animal limb, +1 Touch, +1 Part)

Transformation of the Vicious Beast to the Humble Hare
Muto Animal 20, R: Touch, D: Diameter, T: Individual
The targeted animal up to size +3 is turned into a rabbit. A rabbit pelt may be held by the target and dropped to end the spell prematurely.
(Base 5, +1 Touch, +1 Diameter, +1 additional size in target)

edit - first is just in case he flees or gets nasty up close, and second might make the fight moot.

Edit2 - also pondering just making the transformation spell at R:Voice and dropping the limb spell because it will likely need to be used at voice anyway. My other plan was to use a Intangible Tunnel to target the horse at touch. Not sure.

Leg of the Stumbling Horse looks like it's an animal variant of Arm of the Infant (with lower level parameters). I suppose you can use Flexible Formulaic Magic to make it Voice, which is probably more generally useful. Is there an issue in that you "only" have a MuAn lab total of 50, and therefore can't up it to level 10 to be able to use it at Voice Range with a flexed Group target?

I think it's worth including a description of the rolls required if cast on a horse someone is riding at speed. LoM (pg 128) has a Dex+Ride roll of 9 required to avoid falling off if the horse stumbles (due to a Heavy Wound in that case, but the stumbling can probably be generalised).

I think the second spell should work up to Size +4? (Standard is +1, +3 for the size magnitude).

My take is that Momentary can last up to 6 seconds (i.e. a round). That should be long enough for a short (or actually moderately long) fall.

I agree I don't really like the 2D spell, but that's gone now anyway.

I’ll include those updated in the spell descriptions - thanks. Yes my rough LT 50 means I couldn’t make the animal limb spell higher. If it’s handy I can make a better version later.
Initially I was going to make the other transformation spell higher but then Pen becomes a huge issue again. Fray’s FFM certainly helps for these times.

I think it may be adding a clarification to the House Rules on how the seasons tie up to the months in this saga, as it comes up now and again and it would be good to have it clearly in one place as a reference point.

My current understanding is that seasons start and end on the solstices and equinoxes (from the Aegis discussion where we worked out that the "Spring" Aegis casting was actually being cast on the Summer Solstice). Ignoring the few days at the end of the previous month:

Winter: January - March.
Spring: April - June
Summer: July - September
Autumn: October - December

Is that right?

That calendar pattern is what I’ve been using too

I think that's canonical.

On the horse spells: it's possible the horse would regard blatant magic as cheating--especially magic affecting him rather than his opponent.

Scott

A magic horse is fighting a wizard, and asking the wizard to not use magic? Yeah, that makes no sense at all. If the horse thinks that then we just go back to plan-A and be done with it permanently.
I assume the horse thinks that it using it's legs is fair?

The stallion fight offers the covenant a contested resources - we didn't suss the details at the end of that thread, so in light of the comment about potential cheating - we need to know in more detail what the constraints of what we agreed.

Can you give me the constraints?

Also I've found a cannonical example of Muto size increases which affected my calcs for size increases. We discussed here and I think it was concluded that each +1 mag increases size by +1, however I wnet looking for inspiration on transformation spells across the published books and MoH has a spell (Turb of Giants, p49) which demonstrates this a +1 mag equals +3 ranks.
I don't want to change Fray's character generation, but as transformations are one of Fray's major themes I would like to correct his spell which is directly affected.
Is that OK?