OOC Discussions and Table Talk

Well, ideally my lab would be in a cave, with a pool at the bottom communicating with the sea and a large balcony above the high tide mark. Then I'll only need to keep a large fire going (but burning what exactly ? fuel is going to be expensive) to have all four elements. And somehow despite all the entrances it would be quite secure !

And wish I shall ! Upon a starfish !

Then she will be more of a servant, however she is the daughter of the main blacksmith at Crintera (I assume there is one?) and has spent some time in his forge and therefore have that as secondary skill. The tools will be a later problem.

You do not trust your fellow magi for help :wink: Creo Log, moon = CrHe10. Creo Log, sun = CrHe5. I can spont the Sun version fatigueless and the moon duration fatiguing myself. So if we have a few Moon logs around to prevent fire going out at dust and dawn, you can have all the fun you want with fires. You only need real wood once a month.

Given the size of the island I even expect the Moon duration wood to become a feature of the local economy and one of our sources of income. Guess what I want to invent in the lab first thing? :mrgreen:

Perhaps a minor ex-noble's now-dispossessed son who is proud and aquaphobic enough that Oculus Septentrionalis chose to saddle Prochorus with him? Might go with his difficult underlings flaw.

As for the servant ... perhaps the aforementioned ex-noble's dishonest ex-seneschal, recently reduced to a manservant?

Re: Terram mining - Prochorus is kind of half-decent with this kind of thing as well, given his life-linked spontaneous magic. If he drums his drum and shouts he's at 10, i.e. 5 after halving even with the die, but by spending fatigue he can go up to 20 for a single shot.

That can work.

Note that spontaneous casting with fatigue is always stress, which means risks of a botch. When LLSM is involved, that carries some additional risk as your life energy is involved.

Edited the available resources in Quercus' thread. This si what he will have (in a cart) when they meet in Anvers. https://forum.atlas-games.com/t/quercus-rector-of-tytalus/8218/3

Question: what was the starting year for the saga? I cannot find it....

Just to let people know in advance, I will be away from my computer starting tomorrow at noon until late on Sunday. Don't let that stop you from moving forward on whatever is left to decide.

Would you all be ready for me to start an introductory thread when all of the magi meet in Anvers? That way, they could get to know each other, in-character, while waiting for Bernhard to arrive and brief them. Then, once I get back, Bernhard would arrive and get down to business with them about his conditions for revealing the location of the vis source, and planning for the trip there.

I'm ready for the introductory thread...

Me too. I will just tidy up some loose ends regarding my characters.
I will give the sailors names and maybe personality traits. If they need full stats we can do that later I guess.

Ready. In an out connection during the weekend, though, so I might be able to post lots or zero until Monday.

Looking at our resources, I think we could do well by acquiring a third lab (even if for the time being most of the time we will be out of the lab) and improving the one we have at -1 to +0. Or even improving them all to a positive bonus.

Question: What kind of stuff do we need to acquire to get a lab to +0? A full furbished lab?

And more importantly: can we do that in Anvers? :slight_smile:

Xavi

Well, in theory a standard (+0) laboratory requires

• 500 square feet of floor space, with a 10 feet ceiling (that's 46.5 square meters and a 3 meters high ceiling for those of us used to the metric system)
  • equipment worth 5 Mythic Pounds
  • 2 seasons to set up, requiring Magic Theory 3. For a standard (Refinement =0) laboratory, there is no penalty if it is done by someone other than the user. And you get a Basic laboratory (with the Basic Flaw, or -3 GQ) after the first season.

Of course, given the tone of the saga, laboratory equipment might be harder to come by than the normal rules suggest (because established covenants might control the suppliers, might even be the only suppliers from their own workshops, and we don't want to tip our hands in creating a new covenant). On the plus side Bernhard, as a redcap, should be able to get us some;

But perhaps more importantly, until we've actually built ourselves a covenant with real rooms and stuff, having laboratory equipment won't help. And until we have a secure source of income, we won't be able to operate them regularly anyway (a standard laboratory costs 1 pound per year if used 2 seasons, 1.5 if used year round) For myself, I plan to ask Bernhard to buy me some equipment once we are secure, and I'll find non laboratory stuff to do if we have some spare time to kill before then (reading a book does not require a laboratory, nor does studying vis or teaching/studying with a teacher).

All of the equipment and supplies can be obtained from mundane sources, although some may raise a few eyebrows. The main difference, though is that this is slightly more expensive (no economies of scale) and takes much longer (hunting down a multitude of suppliers). Going through the usual route of acquiring through regular Hermetic suppliers may meet some problems (stories) and may draw attention to the formation of a new covenant earlier than might be desirable.

Note that the equipment required for a basic lab (-3 to lab totals) are easy to acquire. An almost-complete lab (like the one Quercus has) isn't too hard to obtain in most places, as it is only missing the more specialized equipment and supplies (such as vitriol). It is only when you go with the standard lab without any penalty that it becomes hard. As you raise the quality of the lab after that, custom-made equipment and esoteric compounds become necessary.

Whether Bernhard can help with this is to be determined. You'll have to ask him. :smiley:

Indeed, the first pre-requisite to a lab is space to put it in. An outdoors lab (or one under a tent) is possible but has drawbacks.

Another activity that you may want to pursue at first is the scribing of lab texts, although this has costs as well.

You could, but do you want to? :laughing:

Ok, so let's say that the costs for lab would be:

-3 lab (basic): 2 pounds of silver
-1 lab (non expensive): 3 pounds of silver
+0 lab: 5 pounds of silver

And about wanting to, I would say that it will be part of our first discussion on resource allotment. I guess we might go and explore a little but before moving everything to the island in any case, so it might be "adventure #2" in any case, as halancar correctly pointed it out we need to establish ourselves first :slight_smile:

Xavi, are you sure you're going to the common room ? The innkeeper seems to be trying to send us down to a private room in the cellar (and who can blame him ?)

Ah. Ok, I will go downstairs. :slight_smile: Editing now

Since he is the first to arrive at the inn, there are no private discussions to be held. So my guess is that Quercus is waiting for some of the other magi to arrive. Best place to observe that arrival is the common room.

The innkeeper directed him and his people an out-of-the-way corner of the common room, where the locals won't be disturbed by his presence.