OOC: PrePlay discussion

Well, that renders the Parma book question moot.

Qcipher, I think Diotima's ability scores for language and area lores are sufficient to translate a book without a loss in quality. I will be bringing the Unraveling the Fabric of Terram books, and they will be in Greek, it was in the prelude. These may all prove useful, if a certain disgraced Hoplite decides to start tossing mountains around or something. :mrgreen:

I'm undecided on exactly what format these books will be (summa or tractatus).

That's correct, Diotima can translate from Latin to Classical Greek and from Classical Greek to Latin without loss of quality. The rules are in Art & Academe p.87, you need:
Language 6 in both languages (if you don't, you lose 1 quality)
Area Lore 3 in the culture from which the text is translated (if you don't, again you lose 1 quality)

It takes one season to translate a tractatus, for a summa Diotima can translate up to a level 7 in one season. Possibly 8 if I'm allowed to use my talisman's lab bonus (because three points of Text specialization add one to the effective ability score when copying/writing/translating, which is why I was so set on getting those bonus)

OK thanks, just wasn't sure of the formula.

These are your points for Eve, so do as you will. I do have a few questions.

The magic theory, creo, rego, and vim tracti. Great quality on these, can I ask for a bit more of a period and evocative name? Their Quality certainly makes them great, but perhaps a name for the set of books that sounds a bit more medieval and proper?

"The Opus Arcanum, a series of Tracti written by the esteemed in letters, Eve ex Verditius". Something that's more authentic sounding perhaps. It doesn't mean that it can't reflect some ego on the writer (that's why I went with Opus). And I can definitely buy that tracti of that quality can be admitted to the great Library at Durenmar.

The second book, written by Jane. That title works fine for me. My question is...what's the angle or purpose for it? Again it's your points. Who can read and benefit from it? Only those with the Personal Power already? What use can be gotten from it? If it's only your familiar, go for it, I just think it's a bit of a waste of points. Or is this a book that potentially any creature from the Magic Realm, that can read, would benefit from? So future familiars, if you allowed them, could read it and learn to fly? That's what I'm not clear on.

First thing to note: The books written by Eve and Jane were NOT purchased with points. If you go through the overly long detailed xp spending by season, you'll see seasons carved out to write them. So Eve can't study from them, but the other magi CAN.

Seems reasonable. I think I'll just steal that name for the whole set of Eve's works. I'll think of more specific names for "the chapters"

So first I refer you to RoP: Magic page 52. That talks about transformation. It also mentions writing books, even if its rare. I assumed the book would be a tractus. The OOC purpose is that any familiar or other magic creature could use it. It lets them get a whole 10xp with a little help from Jane in one season. The upshot is this means they only need one season of vis consumption. The IC purpose is so Jane can show off to the other familiars and creatures. Jane can't benefit from her own book. Plus she already has the power.

I think i do remember that, ok, go for it.

Cool, I hope the suggestion was helpful.

Alright, now I see the value, add that to the fact that it was not bought with build points, and we have a book that is of some use. Would Eve and/or Jane make this book available for other magi's familiars?

Absolutely. Its the whole IC point of it. Free of charge and everything. Its a chance for Jane to show off. Ditto on all the books that Eve wrote.

"Now that you've read that, let me tell you about these people I know. We like to have fun. Let our hair down." Some gifts come with too high a price.

I think Ophelia is going to be chaste, just for some counterbalance. I'm already playing a libidinous/lecherous woman in another saga...

Added to the Covenant descritpion

Ability books:

• Hoplite's Armor, by Pamphilius ex Guernicus(Parma Magica Tractatus level 5 Quality 12).
    [list][]Commentary Valeran ex Guernicus (Quality 15) Well written commentary expanding on various points made by the original author.
    [/
    :m]
    []All the Plants of the World, and Their Various Abilities Mystic and Mundane, by Richard Overfork ex Miscellanea (Herbalism Summa, Level 7, Quality 14).[/:m]
    []The Sharp Spear, by Lepontus of Flambeau. Summa on Penetration, Level 5, Quality 8.[/:m][/list:u]

Lab text for Aegis of the Hearth ReVi 40

That's Valerian's job, right?

Don't give everything away!! :angry:

Well, if you delete it, I've never said it. You have the power to censor me. :smiley:

Then there's the difference between experience and academic knowledge of something. :smiley:

I should have put a laughing face on there. Valerian has different duties. He has...underlings to stalk the players.

Naturally, but after Ophelia's eaten them for breakfast...

Heh.

Timeo magos Verditii et dona ferentes ! (hope I got the cases right, I took some Greek but no Latin)

Too bad Eve is not one of the Greek mages :slight_smile:

Of course I'm even more afraid of the Tremere ... let see... appropriate quote...
I would like to live just long enough to be there when they cut off Albertus ex Tremere's head and stick it on a pike, as a warning to the next ten generations that some favors come with too high a price.

I've been wracking my head trying to figure out, first the exact quotation, because I knew it was wrong, and second where it came from, because if I could remember where it came from, I could get the correct quotation.

And now that I'm thinking about this. Jebrick's probably got the Tremere setup to be like the Vorlons. Oy vey!

Albertus ex Tremere? Also I take it we must have at least one NPC magi? A tremere to make sure we aren't doing anything we shouldn't. Like interfering with mundanes, conspiring with the Fae, or trying to set ourselves up as gods.

Albertus is Praeco. He is not at your Oppidum. You have one Tremere to deal with. Laterala.

I'm starting to get some intro threads up so we can do a little RP and meet some players in the story. You will find that I do not post much on the weekends. Family time which leaves very little Ars time. I will occasionally fire off quick notes but long things generally have to wait. I'll have threads up for Eve and Diotima ASAP.

I take it we are going to collide quite quickly?

He's the one who 'granted the privilege of Oppida to be formed'. The one whom we have to thank for being invited in the Tribunal. Why settle for a lateral lackey when you can go straight to the boss ?