Ophelia Flambonis

[strike]A flighty Flambeau with ambitons of winning the Dimicatio some day. She is attempting to merge the schools of Apromor, Sebastian and Vilano into her own unique style. She internalized the teachings of Apromor as a means towards self defense based on an innate and preternatural understanding of Perdo, almost specifically applied to the Form of vim. She was trained in the School of Sebastian to harness the power of wind, but wind is a fickle tool, through hard work she developed a means to control the forces of wind, not always by attacking directly with it, but to use the wind to throw things and so developed techniques giving her an affinity for Finesse. Her natural hard work and diligent focus on her magics has given her Flawless Magic.[/strike]

Her concept is from the aborted Legacy of Rome. I'm not sure I can pull it off, but we'll see.

Jebrick: I have the same question about the talisman I did over there. "I'm working on a Flambeau of the School of Sebastian with an mMF in Wind. I would like to have a folding fan for a talisman, but it isn't exactly in period, in fact it's about 400 years too early if my googling is authoritative in the matter. When it is folded, I wonder if it might not have a shape to act as a wand, and consequently lose the bonus of the fan with respect to SM bonuses." Basically, it only gets the shape bonus of it is in the proper shape, and of course, both bonuses wand and fan need to be attuned.

Must it be a folding fan :angry: They were not invented in the East for several hundred years.

I think I would have a hard time giving both wand and fan bonus even to a folding fan. Although, a stiff fan with a longish handle could be used as a fan and then reversed to be a wand. I will need to think on it.

It is interesting that feather does not have a shape material bonus. I would think +4 for flight and +3 for moving air.

Just take a fan, and attach a wand to it. It might look weird but no one will call you on it.

I don't know how I missed the magical focus on wind. She and Zoltan could have some interesting interactions.

Here is what I have for her so far. I am still tweaking her genesis. Not that it really matters, but I find getting a concept down at gauntlet to be helpful. So far, she's a magical creature hunter of some capability. I see her evolving into a Hoplite, if not sometime within the next 30 years, then sometime after play commences. The flaw I'm least happy with is Indiscreet, so that will likely change.

Regarding Spell Mastery, I took Mercurian masteries, given that Flawless Magic is generally associated with the Flambeau/Mercurian heritage. If this is a problem for any of the mastery abilities please let me know and I will revise.

Anemone
Covenant: Oppidum of Héviz
Saga: Oppidum of Héviz
Characteristics: Int +2, Per +2, Pre 0, Com 0, Str -3, Sta +1, Dex 0, Qik +4
Size: 0
Age: 32 (32), Height: 5'3'', Weight: 120 lbs, Gender: Female
Decrepitude: 0
Warping Score: 0 (0)
Confidence: 1 (3)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Puissant Perdo*, Flawless Magic (Study Totals: Doubled for spell mastery), Affinity with Vim, Puissant Vim, Minor Magical Focus (counter spells), Great Quickness × 1, Fast Caster (Initiative: +3 to cast spells in combat), Cautious with Finesse, Puissant Finesse, Seeker, Optimistic, Twilight Prone, Favors (Tremere)
Personality Traits: Cheeky +2, Optimistic +6, Fatuous +2
Combat:
Dodge: Init: +4, Attack --, Defense +4, Damage --
Fist: Init: +4, Attack +0, Defense +4, Damage -3
Kick: Init: +3, Attack +0, Defense +3, Damage +0
Soak: +1
Fatigue levels: OK, 0, -1, -3, -5, Unconscious
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Greek 6, Latin 3, Slavic 1, Magic Theory 4, Artes Liberales 2, Philosophiae 1, Concentration 1, Order of Hermes Lore 2, Finesse 2+2, Code of Hermes 1, Magic Lore 2, Parma Magica 1, Penetration 2, Faerie Lore 1, Stealth 1, Athletics 2, Awareness 3 (determining effect), Charm 2, Folk Ken 1, Area Lore: Area 1, Area Lore: Area 1
Arts: Cr 5, In 0, Mu 5, Pe 7+3, Re 5, An 0, Aq 0, Au 6, Co 7, He 0, Ig 0, Im 0, Me 3, Te 0, Vi 10+3
Equipment:
Encumbrance: 0 (0)
Spells Known:
Charge of the Angry Winds (CrAu 15) +13, Mastery 1 (obfuscated casting)
Circling Winds of Protection (Cr(Re)Au 20) +14, Mastery 2 (fast casting, stalwart casting)
Touch of the Goose Feather (PeCo 5) +19, Mastery 1 (quick casting)
Invocation of Weariness (PeCo 20) +19, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
The Blinded Sentry (PeMe 5) +15, Mastery 1 (disguised casting)
Demon's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 10) +25, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Dragon's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 10) +25, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Faerie's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 10) +25, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Ignem (PeVi 25) +35, Mastery 1 (fast casting)

Looks good. I think we will go with the suggestion on the Fast Cast. Each extra spell will be another level of multiple casting mastery.

I was reading a book the other day that takes place in the time of the Roman Empire and a lady had a folding fan. This thread just ruined the book for me because I could only think how they got that wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Wait, what? Fast Casting? Are you mixing multiple casting and fast casting up? FWIW, taking fast casting doesn't do anything beyond allowing one to cast formulaic spells defensively, as had been discussed extensively in Bibracte.

I'm changing Anemone around a bit, including her name, since wind won't be part of her, anymore. The mMF (wind) wasn't working for me. Instead, with jebrick's approval, and pending commentary from the troupe, I'm changing it to mMF (counter spells). The way the focus is narrow enough to be a minor focus, is that the only spells where it is effective for lab and casting totals are the Unravelling and Mirror spells. However, it could have implications of being able to spontaneously cast spells to counter spells as outlined on page 83 where the text discusses fast cast defenses of half the level of the oncoming effect. If you have comments or concerns, please share!

That's an interesting focus, is it confined to countering spells as they happen or also destroying old spells that are still within their duration? You'd likely have a lot of Unraveling Form spells mastered for fast casting.

Funny note: Best way to counter an incoming spell if you can hack it? MutoVim it to remove the range, and reroute the levels into extra power.

The way I see it is spells as they happen or being cast, to make it very narrow so it is a reasonable Minor Magical Focus.

Yeah, I'll be getting all the Unravelling variants, since they count for the focus. The focus will help with learning the high level ones, which will be expensive to get via the XP method, but I can live with it. I may not have every form by the time the saga starts. The focus won't help with inventing spells like Mighty Torrent of Water to respond to Balls of Abysmal Flame, for example, but it will help with casting the spell, which will also help with overcoming the -10 penalty for fast casting. She could also possibly do some stuff spontaneously with some reasonable chance of success if she doesn't have a spell that can meet the incoming threat. And then I'm thinking she has a cadre of grogs that she sends out to dismantle the magus, while using her magic to protect them from the enemy magus's spells.

Or what about a new School of combat using Mutantem Magic? Lasso a BoAF and hurl it back at the caster. Or other things like that.

That's actually pretty hard, since it requires fast casting, and also penetrating the spell, for lack of a better phrase. From the Muto Vim Guidelines box on page 159, "your Penetration total for the Muto Vim spell must beat the other magus's Penetration total for the spell to be changed." Now granted, Vim is her specialty, but the PeVi spells don't have the problem of trying to overcome penetration, they just work against a given level of spell, and I can make them even more powerful with unraveling mastery.

qcipher: I think I'm going to pull an Alexei and make my own LR, which will be a whopping LR 6 at the time she advances. So, she will need an LR from someone later in life. AS I recall, Alexei had an LR of 8 when he did his.

It wasn't too great, he did have some of the tools for it, a high Co and Magic theory, but he just wasn't great with lab work.

So, I was messing around with Ophelia. When would she build a Talisman, when would she join a Mystery Cult, and when would she bond with a familiar? And, unless jebrick doesn't want to run a find a familiar story, I can't find a reason for her to do any of these things prior to saga start. The only cults she might be interested in are the Legion of Mithras or the Neo-Mercurians, and even then, none seem compelling to her. And it's far enough along that I don't want to be a hold up. And if she didn't muster out with the vis, I'm fine with the use it or lose it...
I also changed her around a bit from her initial at Gauntlet posted above.

She paid for a 12th magnitude LR in Autumn the year she turned 35... She spent 4 seasons doing work earned 12 pawns, and had 10 pawns from the 2 per year. 7 for the Ritual, 10 for up to 10th level, and 4 more pawns to put it to 12.

She needs grogs, in fact, they are an essential part of her combat strategy against magical creatures and renounced magi. If you're interested in making a combat grog that would be part of her team, that'd be cool. I can go with anything form grizzled veterans to the new kid she's picked up along the way. They should speak Greek.

[strike]Ophelia
Age: 59 (35), Height: 5'3'', Weight: 120 lbs, Gender: Female
Warping Score: 2 (8½)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Puissant Perdo*, Flawless Magic (Study Totals: Doubled for spell mastery), Minor Magical Focus (counter spells), Fast Caster (Initiative: +3 to cast spells in combat), Cautious with Finesse, Puissant Finesse, Affinity with Finesse, Cautious Sorcerer (Bonus: Three fewer botch dice casting spells or in lab), Great Quickness × 1, Optimistic, Flawed Parma Magica (Ignem), Favors (Tremere), Chaotic Magic
Personality Traits: Cheeky +2, Determined +2, Optimistic +3
Combat:
Wound Penalties: -1 (1-5), -3 (6-10), -5 (11-15), Incapacitated (16-20), Dead (21+)
Abilities: Greek 6 (hermetic usage), Latin 3 (hermetic usage), Magic Theory 6 (inventing spells), Artes Liberales 1 (astronomy), Concentration 2 (spell concentration), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (personalities), Finesse 6+2 (casting speed), Code of Hermes 2 (wizards' marches), Magic Lore 2 (creatures), Parma Magica 1, Penetration 3 (Perdo), Leadership 3 (grogs), Carouse 1 (staying sober), Faerie Lore 2 (faerie mounds), Stealth 1 (shadowing), Athletics 2 (running), Awareness 4 (determining effect), Etiquette 1 (nobility), Charm 2 (first impressions), Intrigue 1 (rumormongering), Ride 2 (battle), Guile 1 (fast talk), Folk Ken 1 (magi), Area Lore: Rapsani 1 (legends), Area Lore: Polyiagos 1 (politics), Area Lore: Theban Tribunal 2, Area Lore: Transylvanian Trybinal 1 (personalities)
Arts: Cr 12, In 5, Mu 7, Pe 8+3, Re 5, An 12, Aq 5, Au 5, Co 10, He 5, Ig 4, Im 1, Me 2, Te 10, Vi 11
Equipment:
Spells Known:
Weaver's Trap of Webs (CrAn 35) +27, Mastery 2 (quick casting, stalwart casting)
Mighty Torrent of Water (CrAq 20) +20, Mastery 2 (fast casting, stalwart casting)
Bind Wound (CrCo 10) +24, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Grog's Gift of the Bear's Fortitude (MuCo 25) +20, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, stalwart casting). As Gift of the Bear's Fortitude but a version delivered at touch for a diameter.
Touch of the Goose Feather (PeCo 5) +23, Mastery 1 (quick casting)
Invocation of Weariness (PeCo 20) +23, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Wizard's Leap (ReCo 15) +17, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Inculcation (Extrication) of the Mighty (Vulnerable) Grog (ReCo 25) +22, Mastery 6 (fast casting, stalwart casting, multiple casting x4)*
Repel the Wooden Shafts (ReHe 10) +12, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Strike of the Angered Branch (ReHe 15) +12, Mastery 1 (quick casting)
Edge of the Razor (MuTe 20) +19, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Blade of the Virulent Flame (CrIg 15) +19, Mastery 2 (multiple casting x2)
The Blinded Sentry (PeMe 5) +14, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Silvery Scales of the Knight (CrTe(An) 30) +25, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, stalwart casting)
Hardness of Adamantine (MuTe 25) +19, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
Rusted Decay of Ten-Score Years (PeTe 10) +24, Mastery 2 (multiple casting x2)
Invisible Sling of Vilano (ReTe 10) +17, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Invisible Gastraphetes of Vilano (ReTe 25) +18, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, stalwart casting). Hurl a metal projectile with enough force to do +15 damage (range increment of 20 paces)
The Phantasmal Squire (ReTe 15) +17, Mastery 1 (precise casting). The spell dons or removes a suit of armor from the individual targeted. Requires a Per+Finesse roll to properly fit the armor.
Piercing the Faerie Veil (InVi 20) +19, Mastery 1 (imperturbable casting)
Piercing the Magical Veil (InVi 20) +19, Mastery 1 (imperturbable casting)
Demon's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 10) +26, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, penetration)
Dragon's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 10) +25, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Faerie's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 10) +25, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Aquam (PeVi 15) +36, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Auram (PeVi 25) +36, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Corpus (PeVi 25) +36, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Herbam (PeVi 20) +36, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Ignem (PeVi 25) +41, Mastery 6 (fast casting, multiple casting x5)
Unravelling the Fabric of Terram (PeVi 25) +36, Mastery 1 (fast casting)[/strike]

Ophelia
Age: 59 (35), Height: 5'3'', Weight: 120 lbs, Gender: Female
Warping Score: 2 (8½)
Virtues and Flaws: The Gift, Hermetic Magus, Puissant Perdo*, Flawless Magic (Study Totals: Doubled for spell mastery), Minor Magical Focus (counter spells), Fast Caster (Initiative: +3 to cast spells in combat), Cautious with Finesse, Puissant Finesse, Affinity with Finesse, Cautious Sorcerer (Bonus: Three fewer botch dice casting spells or in lab), Great Quickness × 1, Optimistic, Flawed Parma Magica (Ignem), Favors (Tremere), Chaotic Magic
Personality Traits: Cheeky +2, Determined +2, Optimistic +3
Combat:
Abilities: Greek 6 (hermetic usage), Latin 3 (hermetic usage), Magic Theory 6 (inventing spells), Artes Liberales 1 (astronomy), Concentration 2 (spell concentration), Order of Hermes Lore 1 (personalities), Finesse 6+2 (casting speed), Code of Hermes 2 (wizards' marches), Magic Lore 2 (creatures), Parma Magica 1, Penetration 3 (Perdo), Leadership 3 (grogs), Carouse 1 (staying sober), Faerie Lore 2 (faerie mounds), Stealth 1 (shadowing), Athletics 2 (running), Awareness 4 (determining effect), Etiquette 1 (nobility), Charm 2 (first impressions), Intrigue 1 (rumormongering), Ride 1 (battle), Guile 1 (fast talk), Folk Ken 1 (magi), Area Lore: Rapsani 1 (legends), Area Lore: Polyiagos 1 (politics), Area Lore: Theban Tribunal 2, Area Lore: Transylvanian Trybinal 1 (personalities)
Arts: Cr 12, In 5, Mu 7, Pe 9+3, Re 4, An 12, Aq 5, Au 5, Co 10, He 0, Ig 4, Im 1, Me 0, Te 10, Vi 9
Equipment:
Spells Known:
Weaver's Trap of Webs (CrAn 35) +27, Mastery 2 (quick casting, stalwart casting)
Mighty Torrent of Water (CrAq 20) +20, Mastery 2 (fast casting, stalwart casting)
Bind Wound (CrCo 10) +24, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Grog's Gift of the Bear's Fortitude (MuCo 25) +20, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, stalwart casting). As Gift of the Bear's Fortitude but a version delivered at touch for a diameter.
Touch of the Goose Feather (PeCo 5) +24, Mastery 1 (quick casting)
Invocation of Weariness (PeCo 20) +24, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Wizard's Leap (ReCo 15) +16, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Inculcation (Extrication) of the Mighty (Vulnerable) Grog (ReCo 25) +21, Mastery 6 (fast casting, stalwart casting, multicasting × 4)*
Repel the Wooden Shafts (ReHe 10) +6, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Strike of the Angered Branch (ReHe 15) +6, Mastery 1 (quick casting)
Blade of the Virulent Flame (CrIg 15) +19, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, acute sense)
The Blinded Sentry (PeMe 5) +14, Mastery 1 (quiet casting)
Silvery Scales of the Knight (CrTe(An) 30) +25, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, stalwart casting)
Edge of the Razor (MuTe 20) +19, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Hardness of Adamantine (MuTe 25) +19, Mastery 1 (stalwart casting)
Rusted Decay of Ten-Score Years (PeTe 10) +25, Mastery 2 (multicasting × 2)
Hauberk of Sublime Lightness (PeTe 30) +24, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Invisible Sling of Vilano (ReTe 10) +16, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Invisible Gastraphetes of Vilano (ReTe 25) +17, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, stalwart casting). Hurl a stone projectile with enough force to do +15 damage (range increment of 20 paces)
The Phantasmal Squire (ReTe 15) +16, Mastery 1 (precise casting). The spell dons or removes a suit of armor from the individual targetd. Requires a Per+Finesse roll to properly fit the armor.
Piercing the Faerie Veil (InVi 20) +16, Mastery 1 (imperturbable casting)
Piercing the Magical Veil (InVi 20) +16, Mastery 1 (imperturbable casting)
Demon's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 10) +24, Mastery 2 (multiple casting, penetration)
Dragon's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 10) +23, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Faerie's Eternal Oblivion (PeVi 10) +23, Mastery 1 (multiple casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Aquam (PeVi 15) +32, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Auram (PeVi 25) +32, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Corpus (PeVi 25) +32, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Herbam (PeVi 20) +32, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Unravelling the Fabric of Ignem (PeVi 25) +37, Mastery 6 (fast casting, multicasting × 5)
Unravelling the Fabric of Terram (PeVi 25) +32, Mastery 1 (fast casting)
Gather the Essence of the Beast (ReVi 15) +15, Mastery 1 (still casting)

*This spell is like Wizard's Leap, but is cast on targets at Voice range, and can be used to place a small squad of grogs at an advantageous position. Of course, it can pull them out of dangerous positions, too.

Oh, and her Parma Magica score of 1 isn't an oversight. I can see how people might think that's the case. She's never had a reason to improve it. She shoots first, sends in her grogs and then knocks down everything her opponents throw at her/them. Of course, she might get a nasty surprise one day...

Well, I might design a grog or two just for fun, but I also plan to make a purely martial companion since Diotima isn't worth much in combat (plus Diotima, with the Gentle Gift, is well suited to the interaction part of things, so she can do things where other players will have to send out the companions).

A precision: I assume her Greek is Romaic Greek (that is the Greek spoken in 1260 in Greece), not Classical Greek ? And also her native language ? And yes at level 6 that's plenty good enough for her to read books in Classical Greek (but not write them).

As for Parma Magica, you're right that she's going to be casting first in any reasonable situation, and can probably fast cast her way out of trouble at need, but I personally would feel more confident if she knew some spells that kill or incapacitate outright, or at least had mastered at least one damage spell for more multiple casting. As it is a tough opponent is almost guaranteed to survive her first salvo (granted he'd be hurting), and after that... Ophelia had better pray she can fast cast her way out of the counter. Instead of mastering Unravelling the Fabric of Ignem for 6 simultaneous casting (and does she really plan to be under fire by Ignem specialists so much ?) why not master Dragon's Eternal Oblivion or that very nice Invisible Gastraphetes of Vilano to that level ? Now 6 oversized crossbow bolts that ignore magic resistance, that will inconvenience most enemies...

(Ophelia is also in big trouble if she ever gets in a Wizard War with her low Parma, but I understand that's a design choice).

Yes. And at saga start, she'll be unable to read most of the books of the covenant, since her Latin score is 3. She'll only be able to read the books she brings with her, presuming they are in Greek.

Most spells that kill outright are high level, and against creatures of might require a high penetration. She's taking the school of Ramius and extending it out to her grogs. Her grogs are the primary instrument for delivering killing blows, and she provides support. Speaking of, I see a spell I need to add... Regarding facing down the Ignem specialist, she can only take down 5 Pila of Fire or 5 Balls of Abysmal Flame, not 6. She'll have trouble against the Auram damage specialist, the Perdo Corpus specialist who can multicast their offensive spells. She can also prevent her grogs getting blasted by flame.
And if someone wants to start a wizard's war, she will say let them bring it.

This is an interesting build, bold even. High on magical defense without having decent MR. Her grogs will be dealing out the damage no doubt, and her offense is rather weak. One of the main weaknesses is that her magical defenses are still dice based and that can/will eventually backfire.

She should try to get a School named for her after winning some tournaments, assuming she wins.