Where do Redcaps get their magic items from?
- Mercere magi only
- Mercere magi predominantly with some commissions from House Verditius
- Mainly non-Mercere Hermetic magi
- A roughly equal mix of Hermetic and Hedge Magic sources
- Predominantly allied Hedge Magicians
- Most of their devices are inherited as heirlooms from their predecessors
- They use their own hedge magic traditions to create many devices
- An eclectic mix of Hermetic, Hedge, Divine and Faerie sources
- Other (please expand)
Every since my "Epic fail" with 30 Redcap Magic Items I've been thinking a lot about the origins and diversity of Redcap Magic Items. At some stage I think some sort of "Starting Redcap Magic Item Packages" might be useful based on some of the published Redcaps and listed by spell level range ie. (2 10-15 level items, 1 level 20 item etc) with some options but in the interim I'd like to step back and take a wider approach.
So who exactly makes these items?
It's suggested but never clarified in the ArM5 corebook that Redcaps possess Hermetic items but with the arrival of numerous interesting Hedge (and Rival) Traditions that can produce useful items (not to mention Divine relics, Faerie items / External Vis and the possibility of Infernal artifacts), this seems a bit less likely - particularly given the small number of canonical Mercere Magi and the likely even smaller number of dedicated Mercere artificers.