Other settings

Ars Victoriana always appealed to me. So much material to work with, multiple different styles available, or even coexisting. From Dickensian London to Jack the Ripper and Jeckyll and Hyde to Space 1899 and vis hunting in Africa (' 'Dr' Living-stone I presume... ...The Royal Society is dreadfully disappointed that your promised paper on "The Development of Terram Magics in Tribal African Society" is late?').

All those big dark old houses with incredible enormous leatherbound libraries, secret basement laboratories, naturalists with wierd samples in formaldehyde, that strange Darwin fellow with his crazies theories, that Potter woman who talks with animals, experimenting with photography of fairies, the Royal Society of X, the lost treasures of Solomon, Jules Verne... ...so many different things that could be incorporated.

Agreed. Dunno if you guys are familiar with the short-lived "Amazing Engine" products that TSR put out, but their "For Faerie, Queen and Country" setting was Ars-like in that it was Victorian England, but those faeries Arthur Conan Doyle believed in were real, as was magic.

I was always particularly enamored with the new branch to HM military, the Royal Thaumaturges... 8)

P

Isn't Mage: The Gathering supposed to be Ars Magica in a modern setting? Not quite sure how the license works inasmuch as Atlas do Ars and White Wolf do Mage.

Ars Victoriana would be fantastic. I have images of much steam powered Verditus fantasticness! I'm guessing that as there are strange licenses involved with Ars and Mage, that Atlas couldn't do an official version though. :frowning:

Considering that Mage is the derivate one... I don't see how that would stop it. Unless they signed some kind of contract when when Atlas bought ArM saying that they would not compete in the same arena.