Over The Edge

This is my attempt to preserve a thread from 2006 that I accidentally deleted and couldn't restore. Sorry about that!

-Michelle Nephew

Postby Mytherin » 10 Feb 2006 01:24 pm
I have started an Over The Edge game with a few of my friends. And so far I have not had many difficults yet(we are playing the second game tonight). But I am sure they will turn up.

But I would like to think that I shall do alright.

I am posting because well this forum is looking a bit empty.

Later Space cowboys.

Mytherin
Novice

About Conspirations, the french version of Over The Edge

Postby Vardhlokr » 27 Feb 2006 01:13 pm
The french version of Over The Edge, Conspirations, unfortunately, did not received the success it deserves. And it did not received the treatment it deserved. I mean that the french version could have been better & only one supplement has been published. None of the excellent american supplements have been traduced and no orginal material has been proposed. Nevertheless, here in France, Over The Edge/Conspirations is considered as a pure jewel, and the works of Jonathan Tweet and Robin D. Laws infinitely respected...

Halloween Concept, which has published Conspirations (and the supplement named "Al Amarja"), is no more. So i wonder who, in France, now, has now the right to work on the french version of Over The Edge...

Vardhlokr
Novice

Re: About Conspirations, the french version of Over The Edge

Postby John Nephew » 28 Feb 2006 12:07 pm

Vardhlokr wrote:Halloween Concept, which has published Conspirations (and the supplement named "Al Amarja"), is no more. So i wonder who, in France, now, has now the right to work on the french version of Over The Edge...

Right now, we do not have a licensee for Over the Edge in French (or any other language, for that matter). With the age of the game and the state of the RPG market, I doubt that a new translation would be economically viable, to be honest.
John Nephew
President, Atlas Games

John Nephew
Atlas Staff

Postby Vardhlokr » 02 Mar 2006 03:40 am
Ok, thanks for your answer. Do you know who have this licensee ? I will try to contact Jonathan Tweet and question him.

Kind regards

Vardhlokr
Novice

Postby John Nephew » 02 Mar 2006 06:15 pm

Vardhlokr wrote:Ok, thanks for your answer. Do you know who have this licensee ? I will try to contact Jonathan Tweet and question him.

I control the rights to Over the Edge (through a contract I signed with Jonathan back in 1991 or so). The license that Halloween had expired (before the company went out of business), so there is no licensee for the French language at this time.
John Nephew
President, Atlas Games

John Nephew
Atlas Staff

To attract french players...

Postby Vardhlokr » 04 Mar 2006 06:34 pm
In order to attract some new OTE players here in France, and also to please those who already know the game, i think of publishing online some adventures & some new material about Al Amarja.

It may be a grotesque question but... would it be a violation of your rights, since you have the OTE licensee, if i publish online, for free, personal traductions of the US supplements ?

I regret that french people never had access to these incredible sourcebooks.

Kind regards
Self-righteous vigilantes kiss ventriloquists as fences discipline years and nightmare interludes.

Vardhlokr
Novice

Re: Over The Edge

Postby tbug » 31 May 2006 02:30 pm

Mytherin wrote:I have started an Over The Edge game with a few of my friends. And so far I have not had many difficults yet(we are playing the second game tonight). But I am sure they will turn up.

But I would like to think that I shall do alright.

I am posting because well this forum is looking a bit empty.

Later Space cowboys.

Are you running it in modern times? I'm setting my game in 1997 (with the Throckmorton device set to "destroy the world" in 2007!) This suits the supplements a bit better, and means I don't need to quite worry about the ubiquity of cell phones and internet access. (I seem to recall that one of the supplements had an ISP in it, but I haven't stumbled across it again this time around.)

One issue of EdgeWorks included updating Al Amarja to 2020 (or thenabouts, iirc) so I'm thinking or rereading that and advancing things toward that.

tbug
Novice

Re: To attract french players...

Postby John Nephew » 31 May 2006 02:56 pm
I think I missed this post when it first came up...

Vardhlokr wrote:It may be a grotesque question but... would it be a violation of your rights, since you have the OTE licensee, if i publish online, for free, personal traductions of the US supplements ?

Yes, it would be an infringement of our rights. I understand the urge to share OTE with others, but free online translations would undermine the value of the property. (If the translations are online for free, why would a commercial publisher ever in the future be interested in paying us for the rights?)
John Nephew
President, Atlas Games

John Nephew
Atlas Staff

Postby Vardhlokr » 09 Jun 2006 02:49 pm
Hello M.Nephew,

I understand & agree with you. Ok, no translations, but I 'm working on personal material that i will publish online on Cerbere.org, we'll see if there is still a (strong?)community of OTE players here in France...

Kind regards,

Vardhlokr
Self-righteous vigilantes kiss ventriloquists as fences discipline years and nightmare interludes.

Vardhlokr
Novice

Postby LS » 21 Dec 2006 05:31 am
I know this hasn't much to do with Over the Edge, and I'm not even sure it is the right place to post this message, but...

I regret to inform you that Vardhlokr passed away on saturday november 4th, 2006, after a long illness.

He was 29.

Over the Edge was his passion, and he was planning on acquiring the translation rights to the game and publishing it anew in France.

My condolences go out to his family.

LS
Novice