Pandora's Box

If it were found in a saga in Mythic Europe after all the ills of the world (and Hope) had escaped it, do you think Pandora's Box would have any remaining powers/significance?

Might there be more emotions/drives in there that Humanity hasn't yet experienced?

Might it be a Vis source? (I was thinking that, if so, it would produce both Creo and Perdo to represent its former contents but it would vary one to the other at random from one opening to the next)

I'm thinking it must have had some really powerful rego effect at minimum to have held them all. Unless of course the legend is inaccurate and it is actually the continuing source. Of course if different interested parties have differing points of view- one wants to study it to learn how to contain all the ills in the world again while another wants to destroy it believing all Ills will be destroyed, then it has the power of a McGuffin, which can be very useful when dealing with faeries.

Hmm, Pandora and her box in Mythic Europe's past would have been a Faerie gift.

So Mythic Europe's existing Faeries could revive it, starting from Hesiod's Ergai kai Hemerai (96-99):

Only Hope was left within her unbreakable house,
she remained under the lip of the jar, and did not
fly away. Before [she could], Pandora replaced the
lid of the jar. This was the will of aegis-bearing
Zeus the Cloudgatherer.

Reopening the box then could be as big as a Faerie attempt to change eras in a region or even the world. And whom better to gift with it than the PCs in the current saga?

Better reread Shakespeare's Macbeth before, though. The witches there succeed in something quite similar!

That's the one thing about the Pandora myth that never really made sense to me- somehow everything else in the box is an ill, and gets released into the world when it is opened, but hope staying inside the box somehow allows people hope? I have heard versions where hope was also released into the world, but that somehow keeping it in the box is the opposite of what it was for everything else makes no sense. Unless I suppose what is stuck in the box is a plague of despair and hopelessness that would eliminate hope...

If we consider, that Epimetheus married Pandora as a gift from Zeus, hoping for a boon, this 'hope' left under the lid of her jar is first some irony of Zeus.

Faeries once more bringing her jar back might capitalize on that irony again: "We bring you the jar, so you can get the hope that was left in it!"
Epimetheus-like characters then might indeed find lots of hopes in it, like: "All hail, Macbeth, thou shalt be king hereafter!" These make them serve the Faeries and feed them with their vitality, as they struggle to fulfill these hopes.

Does that sound like a working story for a saga?

Oh I agree there are lots of possibilities for a saga. It's the original myth that didn't make much sense to me. Then again I suppose ancient Greece had bad writers too...

What I remember from my first reading of the myth was that all the ills escaped and the box/jar was closed. A bit later, someone (Hermes?) told Pandora to cast the box/jar into the sea because "the greatest ill of all still remains inside it", referring to Hope. After that, either Pandora got overly curious or Hermes tricked her, and she re-opened the box, releasing Hope fully into the world.

Granted, that was a version written for grade-school kids, so probably not the most accurate take. I'll also plead Senior's Parma as that was 40ish years ago and my memory isn't what it once was for the misty past.

Take a look at the many other approaches of what was in the jar, but especially at the precise reading philologists try to achieve of Hesiod's word for hope, elpis:

As with most ancient Greek words, elpis can be translated a number of ways. A number of scholars prefer the neutral translation of "expectation." Classical authors use the word elpis to mean "expectation of bad," as well as "expectation of good." Statistical analysis demonstrates that the latter sense appears five times more than the former in all of extant ancient Greek literature.[23] Others hold the minority view that elpis should be rendered, "expectation of evil" ( vel sim ).[24]

1 Like

and add to this one more thought- evil expected can be planned for.